Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

sullynathan

Arcane
Not this shit again. There's nothing demons souls does that's better than dark souls and most of its sequels.

There is absolutely zero places in any of Dark Souls or Bloodborne that is as good as Tower of Latria.
The tower is retarded and filled with glitches.

Brume tower is better and that's not the least of it

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I rate them by gameplay....yes level design is extremely important for gameplay in a souls game. The rest is just a bonus

Yeah I suspected you're one of those. There's a subset of Souls fandom that only cares about the game to be pretty and the combat to flow nicely. Basically you care about the body. And sure, if that's the case for you then absolutely, the best game for you will be DS3 and BB, obviously. And DeS, DS1 and DS2 will feel "clunky".

For me - and many others - what makes the series truly special is not the body but the soul. The mystery, the secrets, the quirks, the little mischievous details, the itemization, the twists and turns in the level design, the unique on-line mechanics like messages, invasions and bloodstains, the many design features nobody has ever seen or even imagined before DeS (you have to fight a gigantic boss 10 minutes into the game and if you don't die by a miracle there's another boss, even more gigantic, that kills you for sure...and that's just one of many) and that literally blew everyone's mind. To all that, the great body - the fact it's pretty and moves nicely - is the bonus.

So for me DS3 is a Souls game without a soul. The body moves better than ever but it's just a living undead, a hollow. The magic, the spark of life, of innovation, originality and ingeniousness is gone. It's all disinterested, by-the-numbers, rehashed, half-assed grey ash. Figures I guess.

If what Miyazaki wanted to achieve with DS3 is for the fans to stop pestering him with calls for more sequels and say "ok it was a good game but now I'm ready for the FromSoft to make something different" than he succeeded beyond imagination.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah I suspected you're one of those. There's a subset of Souls fandom that only cares about the game to be pretty and the combat to flow nicely. Basically you care about the body. And sure, if that's the case for you then absolutely, the best game for you will be DS3 and BB, obviously. And DeS, DS1 and DS2 will feel "clunky".
But they don't feel clunky. DS1 and DeS still shit on DS2 from miles up above.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Vaati is entertaining but kind of pulls shit out of his arse

Oh he does but I did find it convincing enough to be engaged. And when I watched the BB lore run by ENB he said pretty much the same thing.

The level design in Dark Souls 2 is just abysmal
Seems to me people say that only because they hear other people saying that. Because "everybody knows that". Saying DS2 level design is worse than DS1, I could understand that. But saying DS1 level design is great and DS2 "abysmal" smacks of drama edginess sorry.

But whatever, let's agree to disagree.

hackncrazy

Savant
For me - and many others - what makes the series truly special is not the body but the soul. The mystery, the secrets, the quirks, the little mischievous details, the itemization, the twists and turns in the level design, the unique on-line mechanics like messages, invasions and bloodstains, the many design features nobody has ever seen or even imagined before DeS (you have to fight a gigantic boss 10 minutes into the game and if you don't die by a miracle there's another boss, even more gigantic, that kills you for sure...and that's just one of many) and that literally blew everyone's mind. To all that, the great body - the fact it's pretty and moves nicely - is the bonus.

Almost 100% of what you described something that me, a person 100% interested in the gameplay portion of the games, cares about. With that, I still think that if you care about any of these items, Dark Souls 2 is easily the worst game in the series (with the exception of the invasions/PVP, which seems to be very praised on that game).

Last edited:

hackncrazy

Savant
Seems to me people say that only because they hear other people saying that. Because "everybody knows that". Saying DS2 level design is worse than DS1, I could understand that. But saying DS1 level design is great and DS2 "abysmal" smacks of drama edginess sorry.

But whatever, let's agree to disagree.

For me, DS2 design is bad because pretty much every area is just a corridor. You never have a rewarding discovery feeling like the one when you discover the shortcut from the Church back to Firelink Shrine on DS1 or the one in Forbidden Woods back to Iosefka's Clinic in BB. And even those (and any other areas in the game) have alternative paths and secrets that are nice to uncover.

From the fight against the Mirror Knight until the one against Velstadt, is a couple of hours that you're just following a straight line, with almost anything to do but keep going. Even on better designed areas, like The Iron Keep, they could have been done so much more giving you extra places to explore, but is just the roof and then a straight line to the bosses.

But anyway, let's certainly agree to disagree. ;)

Sentinel

Arcane
I must say I agree with him. I have no idea what the fuck you're on about in that quote. The bolded text part is exceptionally bad in Dark Souls 2.

the mystery
I think this is present on all souls games, but much less so in DS2
the secrets
what secrets? does dark souls 2 even have any secrets or secret areas? the only thing that comes to mind is NG+ changing 1 boss location but that's it.
little mischievous details
what
twists and turns in level design
must have missed them

The only thing DS2 does right is itemization. And even then, it's a "kind of". It has a lot more shit, but a lot more reused shit as well (particularly movesets), which makes finding a new weapon completely joyless.

sullynathan

Arcane
Gonna get old hunters today or tomorrow but I lost all my bloodborne saves a while back and restarted. I'm past vicar Amelia now, what level should I start the DLC?

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
it's Yharnam again, way to reuse stuff FROM

13,99$ right now on ps store for complete edition of this.
Sony is real gay. I bought bloodborne already so I can't buy the complete edition, I'm forced to only buy DLC which isn't on sale on it's own. I paid $21 for it

Black Angel

Arcane
So I've tried playing online, but once loaded a save I got a popup telling me that I'm losing connection and then got kicked to title menu. Apparently, this was a problem in the past:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805577-bloodborne/71737491
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805577-bloodborne/74092945
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805577-bloodborne/72927193
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805577-bloodborne/75480819

Tried the solution posted on that last link (play offline, warp back to dream, warp to other place, warp again back to the dream, quit game, play online), and several other; no luck. Probably because I changed my router because the old one broke from a lightning strike during really bad rains. Anybody has this problem at the moment?

Got a beginner question: Does it make any sense to go full ham in one stat in Bloodborne or can you settle for 40-ish? Kind of interested of trying to squeeze some arcane into my skill - bloodtinge build because I wanna add a bit of utility and MOTHERFUCKING TENTACLES into the mix. I wouldn't mind being given a rough template of how such a build would look either if anybody could be arsed.

Brilliant game though. Really looking forward to getting further in to it, especially after playing the dark souls games earlier this year.

Fair enough. I was just curious how much the scaling in arcane mattered in Bloodborne as opposed to Dark Souls.

Foooor... weapons... Was thinking Chikage and the Bowblade, which means that strength can be put on the backburner but if the offensive tools are gonna be next to useless with 30-ish arcane I don't really see the point in going higher than 15 for the utility tools. Alternatively I could start over and go for a strength - arcane build. I donno, I'm a sucker for magic, especially the brand of magic being pitched in Bloodborne.

Black Angel

Arcane
I remember having some problems with the connection and it got fixed by remaking the internet connection from the PS4's settings. Might be worth a try, but I don't think what I had is the same thing you have.
Yeah, trying to just turn off connection to internet and then manually setting it up again do nothing. This is definitely a problem from replacing my router.

sullynathan

Arcane
Alright, it's finally here.

I beat Old Hunters a few days ago and also beat Bloodborne for the 4th or 5th time now yesterday and got the platinum. I like the DLC even though it's punishing for someone who hasn't played a souls game in nearly a year. The DLC also puts things in perspective about how much FROM reuses areas for DLC. The main starting area is just Yharnam in the past similar to the Artorias DLC being in the past while The Research Hall honestly reminded me of Seath's library. I don't have as much of a problem with reused areas here because the rest of the content is quite good and the original areas are fine in themselves but they could've done something new.
The Fishing Hamlet ends up being the standout location due to not resembling any previous area and for some reason reminding me of Samurai Jack.

The DLC also fixes the big weapon problem of Bloodborne. There's a large variety of weapons here that adds well to the pre-existing weapons. I used the giant chainsaw weapon and the Gatling gun.

The bosses on the other hand are quite good. Ludwig is one that didn't stand out as much to me because I fought him in co-op and the team beat him pretty hard but it was nice seeing the moonlight greatsword again.

The living failures are ... just failures. They don't stand out in any way. Laurence particularly was an interesting boss to me even though he was a rehash of the Cleric beast. His heavy damage and delayed fire attacks gave me a lot of trouble and it was something seeing him writhe in pain due to his new beast form.

The two stand out bosses are Lady Maria and The Orphan of Kos. The Lady is a boss I died a bunch of times to. It's a good thing that From didn't give her a new health bar throughout her 4 phases because it would be infuriating, but she's not too much to handle due to having no attacks that can't be dodged.

The Orphan is the final boss and ends the DLC on a high note. He's like a flailing retard that punishes every mistake and is all over the place .... but I liked it. He's the craziest boss in the DLC with a bit of randomness to his moveset always keeping you on your toes.

Overall the DLC was good, it didn't have any low points but nothing outside of The Orphan boss fight and a few select encounters stick out. It doesn't reach those Dark Souls 2 DLC's but it is something I wish I had when I first bought the game and I'd recommend it to anyone getting Bloodborne.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
By cooping Ludwig, you threw away one of the best bosses in the entire series.

This. I'll never understand how can people coop Soulsbornes on their first run.

I activated coop on an optional boss in my first run because I was getting my underleveled and underequipped ass kicked, but after seeing the anon guy gut punching the boss and killing it in less than a minute while I sat in the sidelines I never used co-op ever again. It dawned on me that I had literally forfeited part of the game's enjoyable content.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
By cooping Ludwig, you threw away one of the best bosses in the entire series.

This. I'll never understand how can people coop Soulsbornes on their first run.

I activated coop on an optional boss in my first run because I was getting my underleveled and underequipped ass kicked, but after seeing the anon guy gut punching the boss and killing it in less than a minute while I sat in the sidelines I never used co-op ever again. It dawned on me that I had literally forfeited part of the game's enjoyable content.

I understood, maybe badly, that Sully haven't even tried to beat Ludwig solo. If so, that's what I don't get.

Obviously if you can't beat a boss it's fine to co-op. That's what's sunbros are basically for. I co-opped Sulyvahn, Princes and Nameless on my first run coz I couldn't beat them and honestly I was getting too tired of DS3 by that point to give them more than 5 attempts. It was just "oh, another fast knight, aight, a few attempts and then co-op".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom