Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 7

Sykar

Arcane
where does it rank in the RE pantheon?

imo:
RE7/RE3>RE1>RE2>>>RE4>>>>>>>>>>RE5>>>>>>>>>>RE6

It is a mix between RE1 design (mansion, scarcity of resources etc.) and RE3 (kind of nemesis system).

Though it might change because madhouse level of difficulty sounds like superior experience:
- most of the items locations redone
- most of monster spawns redone
- you can get keys for coins instead of following story
- few events redone a bit

Personally I liked RE 1 Remake the most. One of the few remakes which made the original game actually better.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Personally I liked RE 1 Remake the most. One of the few remakes which made the original game actually better.

Yep, they captured the essence of the original whilst making mostly subtle changes and improvements.

How remakes should be done.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I prefer the original over the remake, but I have to admit the remake is indeed fantastic, especially in terms of playing with the expectations of RE1 players.

As where I'd put RE7 in the series rankings, of the ones I've played:

RE1 (prefer original, but REmake is close) > RE4 > Code Veronica > RE2 > RE6 > Revelations 2 > RE3 > RE7 > RE5 >>>> Dead Aim > Survivor

Still, I'd say until Dead Aim, I consider all Resident Evil games very good, so putting something like Code Veronica above RE2 is just my own idiosyncratic preference (I mostly prefer CV because it's closest to the spirit of the original RE imo).

RE7 started out very strong and all the moments with Jack were excellent, but the last third of the game was boring as fuck.

Still, Resident Evil is the only series I actively "fan", so I enjoy even the worst entries to a certain extent quite a bit.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
RE1 (prefer original, but REmake is close) > RE4 > Code Veronica > RE2 > RE6 > Revelations 2 > RE3 > RE7 > RE5 >>>> Dead Aim > Survivor

Still, I'd say until Dead Aim, I consider all Resident Evil games very good, so putting something like Code Veronica above RE2 is just my own idiosyncratic preference (I mostly prefer CV because it's closest to the spirit of the original RE imo).

OK, you explained the odd preference for Code Veronica (personally I'd place it way lower, despite the original RE being one of my favourites in the series too), but why RE6 > RE3 or even RE5? Does RE6 get better later on or something? I couldn't stand what I played.

Yep, they captured the essence of the original whilst making mostly subtle changes and improvements.

Personally I dislike what they did with the art direction. It suffers brown turd syndrome.

maxresdefault.jpg

latest

maxresdefault.jpg

Where the fuck did the color go?

Deflowerer

Arcane

OK, you explained the odd preference for Code Veronica (personally I'd place it way lower, despite the original RE being one of my favourites in the series too), but why RE6 > RE3 or even RE5? Does RE6 get better later on or something? I couldn't stand what I played.

I really enjoy RE6 combat mechanics, visual style, and I'm a sucker for multiple-perspective campaigns. I don't deny it has some really egregious shortcomings mainly due to the overly cinematic presentation and simplified level design, but it walks such a good line between a horror shooter and a character action game that I really like.

I've been a fan of the franchise since RE1, but for me the series is mainly about bioterrorism, so the escalation of the conflict from Raccoon City incidence to outright deployment of BOWs in war zones is actually very interesting to me, and there is no other franchise that does something like RE, really. I do think there should be something to satisfy both crowds though, and I actually wish they were even more creative with their spin-off games: a squad based tactics games akin to X-COM would fit the universe like a glove!

Perkel

Arcane
RE6 isn't RE game but action game with RE skin. IDK how can you put in above ANY RE game.

Deflowerer

Arcane
RE6 isn't RE game but action game with RE skin. IDK how can you put in above ANY RE game.

I don't associate "action" with "bad" or "lesser" automatically. RE6 doesn't play anything like Call of Duty or Gears of War either, something it is often accused of turning into.

Also the series has been action centric from the beginning, especially if you contrast it with other horror franchises.

Ironically enough, RE7 is probably the least actiony of them all (at least until last third, and even then).

Deflowerer

Arcane
RE6 doesn't play anything like Call of Duty or Gears of War either, something it is often accused of turning into.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Capcom out right admitted they wanted the call of duty audience it doesn't get more clearer than that.

Yes, and that statement was specifically directed at Operation Raccoon City which indeed played like a shitty generic pop-a-mole cover shooter.

More importantly, my point stands: RE6 plays nothing like Gears of War or Call of Duty.

And? Dragon age 2 doesn't have a two weapon limit and jelly doughnut health system, but they wanted the call of duty audience as well, and look how that game turned out.

Martius

Liturgist
And? Dragon age 2 doesn't have a two weapon limit and jelly doughnut health system, but they wanted the call of duty audience as well, and look how that game turned out.
Well, RE6 at least offers some potential in combat and mercenaries mode. I cant say same about Dragon Age 2.

Ash

Arcane
RE:0 is OK. Personally I haven't found any of the spin-offs/those that are not 1 through 5 to be noteworthy*. I'd say skip 0 unless you're really into the series. It's not bad, it's just a tad subpar.

Good: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Bad/Mediocre/"gud for what it is" and don't bother: 6, Survivor, Outbreak, 0, Code Veronica, Revelations 2, Dead Aim, Op Racoon

*5 is fun as a co-op game despite boulder punching and other such nonsense.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
My 3 favorites are easily: 1, 2 (personal favorite) and 4. My next favorite would probably be Revelations 2.

Haven't touched 7 so we'll wait and see.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Revelations 1 is great for the most part, especially the early game. However, the overall quality suffers from unnecessary episodic structure and the ending that goes full Michael Bay, even though a lot of the game is very slow and quiet.

And of course, it has Jill as the main character :love:

Ash

Arcane
Personally I dislike what they did with the art direction [in the REmake]. It suffers brown turd syndrome.

The soundtrack is also dampened in intensity...often subtly, sometimes majorly.

Sykar

Arcane

Personally I dislike what they did with the art direction. It suffers brown turd syndrome.

maxresdefault.jpg

latest

maxresdefault.jpg

It is called proper lighting and a non-aweful gaming platform. RE 1 remake looks like an actually abandoned villa. Original looks like the painters went through it the day before Team Alpha made it there.

Ash

Arcane
Two months of a lack of maintenance and cleaning leads to urban decay and all color getting sucked out of the place? Get real. It's a fundamental shitty difference in art direction to enhance 2Spooky4u atmosphere while disregarding variety, the original vision and style, and realism. It's monochrome banality. While the lighting and graphics are better as to be expected that doesn't justify the complete change in color scheme and overall art direction.

Also the original PS was probably the best console there was in terms of game library. The gamecube while technically superior had a shit library (and who gives a shit about the technicalities there, PC is king by which all platforms are "aweful" by comparison) .

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Two months of a lack of maintenance and cleaning leads to urban decay and all color getting sucked out of the place? Get real. It's a fundamental shitty difference in art direction to enhance 2Spooky4u atmosphere while disregarding variety, the original vision and style, and realism. It's monochrome banality. While the lighting and graphics are better as to be expected that doesn't justify the complete change in color scheme and overall art direction.

Also the original PS was probably the best console there was in terms of game library. The gamecube while technically superior had a shit library (and who gives a shit about the technicalities there, PC is king by which all platforms are "aweful" by comparison) .

Bullshit. This is nothing but "Muh original, muh original". The color was not sucked out of the place. It is fucking night and there is not much light in many places. The atmsphere is leaps and bounds better than in the original which was too bright and has aged like shit. RE 1 Remake looks great and will age well for years to come.

And lets not forget that awful intro from the original

Voice acting throughout the entire game was pure garbage and went contrary to the actual intended tone due to the unwittingly involuntary comedic dialogues.

Lastly the game library is completely meaningless for a game to game comparison but while we are at it, the Metroid Prime series is probably better than anything the PS has to offer, or at the very least as good as any of the best games the PS1 has to offer.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Bullshit. This is nothing but "Muh original, muh original". The color was not sucked out of the place. It is fucking night and there is not much light in many places.

You don't seem to comprehend the objective truth that there is a fundamental change in core art direction. Blue-painted drywalls turned into brown wall panelling. The backs of chairs go from red to brown. The art gallery statue turns from green to the usual achromatic choice.

While you're free to prefer the REmake's different approach, you're not free to deny that it is in fact fundamentally different at its core with its change in color scheme, and a little unfaithful in this regard. Hell I even provided clear proof.

By that logic RE2 is unfaithful to RE1 art direction because its more detailed and uses a darker pallet. I see the shift in art and voice direction as a realization that the game wasn't as scary as they wanted it to be, since the REmake still has some of the staff who worked on the original game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom