Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Icecream cones are a nice touch.

Squadafroinx

Novice
^ What do you mean? I'm playing the map on Thief 1 Gold and I didn't install any mod/texture pack, like ever, so I dunno, how is it supposed to look?
The orange bricks are supposed to be red, the yellow windows should have a orange-ish tint &c &c

You must have checked "Use T2 world textures" by error while installing TGfix; I wish I could tell you how to remove this but I don't remember (something something with RES folder I think :shittydog:)

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Here's a question to Skacky (or anyone else), originally posted at TTLG but I don't expect a timely reply there:

Where the hell is the Easter Egg in Endless Rain? Like, exactly?

More detail:
The FM came out a bit over 3 years ago. I played it back then but couldn't find it. I'm replaying it now and I want to see it. Someone asked the same thing on TTLG back in 2015 but nobody gave the poor bastard a proper reply, so no help there. I know from that thread that you have to go to the boiler room at the power station (elevator up from the zombie), from the window there cross to an adjacent building along a short pipe, and it should be in that building. Also, a speed potion or some acrobatics are needed.

Well, that help is no good. I know the place, it's the one with two crates, a painting set against the wall (IIRC with some loot behind it), a trapdoor on the ceiling that's really just a texture, not an actual door, and another window through which you can get to the rooftop with IIRC a gas arrow. I've gone through the room with gamma set on max and couldn't find anything. After three years I'm decidedly getting a bit fucking tetchy, so somebody please with cherry on top give me a perfectly accurate, abundantly detailed and completely explicit answer.

Jazz_

Arcane
There are misaligned textures all over the place in this FM I'm playing and they trigger my OCD a bit :D. Guess the FM.

Y0tv1lR.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh come on, SSoM was a FM that took years just to get the first part (of several) out the door as people realized that the project was falling apart.

Still, someone should have spotted this. :/

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So Yandros has just released the first mission of the campaign Lady Rowena had been working on before she left us, and it's absolutely amazing. :salute:

The architecture is great, the atmosphere is thick, and there's a lot to explore. The FM is based on a vanilla map, I think the city section from Tracing the Courier, but I wouldn't have noticed if not for that central market square because the architecture and texturing in the streets have been changed so much, you won't recognize it. The city's atmosphere reminds me of Venice, with building textures that look vaguely mediterranean and with lots of canals to cross or dive into.

It's definitely worth checking out. Haven't played through it fully yet, but I'm pretty sure it has the same high quality throughout. A great mission that shows again how great of a level designer Lady Rowena was. Go play it now.

Jazz_

Arcane
''Somnium'' by Robert Rich plays in the streets, instant incline, good taste in ambient music. Anyway I just fooled around for 5 minutes and maybe I'm blind or something but where's the equipment? one of the objectives is don't go out without your equipment but I can't find it anywhere in my apartment.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is kinda hardish, actually - the place is between two rooms, and cloaked in darkness with a light that doesn't quite shine through the curtains.

Playing the mission really drives home how much we have lost with Lady Rowena. :negative: There are lots of talented taffers who do one or two things very well, but to balance graphics, story and gameplay while also having a distinct personal style that shines through even a repurposed OM... that takes someone with real skills.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
On this occasion I will mention, however, that the "Get your own equipment from your own apartment" objective, without it mentioning where exactly your equipment is, should go the way of the Dodo.

In Rowena's FM it didn't annoy me that much, just took me about a minute of searching everywhere, but if your apartment is larger, like in Christine's most recent mission, it can be really aggravating to have no idea where your equipment is hidden. You're Garrett. This is your apartment. Why don't you know where it is?!?! The objective should either say "Get your equipment from the secret room hidden by the coathanger switch" or the equipment should just be in plain sight.

Mechs Delight

Educated
Home Sweet Home: Nice ambiance and soundtrack. Game play isn't quite up to her previous missions, but enjoyable.

A Short Night's Work: Don't bother. Nothing but an exercise in frustration.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I disagree. I had a lot of fun with A Short Night's Work and I find it to be a better mission than Nigel's Hidden Treasure. I just love how utterly nonsensical and weird the architecture and layout are, but it never feels jarring or stupid. Some areas, like the one with a thief down below and tons of fencing, are nothing short of genius and I wish I had the vision to make something like that (though the fake sky with the skyline doesn't work at all).
Of course the mission is not without faults: sloppy roombrushing, some bizarrely locked gates and doors for no real reason, areas that feel a bit unfinished, other areas you shouldn't be able to get to but you are (with no way of getting back), pretty damn linear overall — but the journey was really worth it. I really enjoyed the final manor area that kind of reminded me of the Mage Towers (but without the tedium). I also see bbb slowly improving his architecture overall, some areas in the manor in particular were pretty nice to look at.

Yandros

Savant
Even though there were only 31 releases last year, two of them included a total of 25 actual missions, so it was a better year than that graph shows. The great thing about 2018 is that if the T1 Contest delivers then we're looking at possibly as many as 20 T1G FMs alone, on top of a probably usual healthy crop of T2 missions.

SlyFoxx

Educated
That anything is still being rung out of the dark engine is a testimony to how much LGS and its devs got right. Never know...I might still finish my last mission....only 12+ years or so in the making.

Jazz_

Arcane
I have completed ''Home Sweet Home'' by Lady Rowena and loved it, great atmosphere and there are many neat little touches. By the way where do you get the key to open that container
behind the ''waterfall''?
Lady Rowena was truly one of the best authors of the FM community, too bad this campaign won't be finished. :negative:

''Seven Shades of Mercury'' was meh, I stopped before finishing it, it started fine but I didn't like the locations, it's got a sort of unfinished vibe, the cathedral in particular was so empty and uninteresting inside.

Now I have started ''Disorientation'' by Melan and I'm also halfway thru ''The Seven Sisters'' by Lady Rowena, I'm also playing a FM where you start in a cave up in the mountains at sunset but I can't recall the name of the FM right now, looks very nice.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
That anything is still being rung out of the dark engine is a testimony to how much LGS and its devs got right. Never know...I might still finish my last mission....only 12+ years or so in the making.

Join the T1G anniversary contest!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom