Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Like it has been mentioned countless times now, it will be a good idea if and only if builders have to enable full party control for each module. I don't see a downside if that's the case. What I also want them to get rid of, though, is the sharing of xp between the PC and summoned creatures, familiars and animal companions. If that's a thing, I never could get a straight answer.

Alex

Arcane
(...snip)
  • We have four guiding principles with regards to Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition:
  1. Do not break backwards compatibility;
  2. Do not change - unhardcode and open up for modding/extension, and add new functionality;
  3. Step forward slowly and try to keep it stable;
  4. New content is king.
  • If you have a suggestion for a fan-made module you'd like to see played on the stream, let us know on Twitter, Facebook, or in the forums!
  • We have no plans for the boxed version of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition as of yet. Right now we’re focused on making NWN:EE the best it can possibly be.
  • Currently Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition doesn’t support EAX. We’re rolling out OpenAL first. We’ll keep looking into bringing EAX to NWN:EE.
  • We updated Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition with the latest version of the C++ builder, and we will be very careful with the builder so that we don’t break stuff.
  • We are open to expand the current Neverwinter Nights scripting, and updating it is not off the table. Go to the forum and create your requests, we need to know the details of what you would like to see.
(snip...)

This is, I think, genuine good news. If they open up the system so I can scrap 3e rules and make a DCC RPG module instead, or even a GURPS module, I would be really happy!

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane
Added some more highly opinionated sections to this article, mainly due to the stupid responses it's gotten on reddit and GoG.

Excerpt:

D&D has always been about a party of adventurers. And D&D has always been about combat, first and foremost. Ask any Ars Magica fan or go and read transcripts of D&D sessions run by the late, great Gary Gygax, co-inventor of D&D: far from being about storytelling, it's about a fight for survival inside a meat-grinder dungeon. You meet at the local tavern and in you go. What happens in there is your story. That might be a startling revelation to the ignoramuses who have played lots of "adventure game" modules for NWN, but it's the truth: you haven't been playing D&D and you don't have the faintest idea what D&D is. Go and play Swordflight: that's in the spirit of D&D. Again, the only reason those lame-o modules are prolific is because the Baldur's Gate crowd didn't transition to NWN en masse due to the lack of full party control. So instead, we got a bunch of twaddlers that just wanted to tell their "interactive stories". But I digress. If D&D computer games are going to allow for party-based adventuring then full party control should be employed because the AI isn't up to snuff. Tabletop D&D doesn't suffer from other party members doing tactically stupid things. If a player is disrupting play with their stupidity, the other players will demand the DM kill them off or kick them out because you can't partake of satisfying cooperative gaming when someone is threatening TPK with frequent and randomized stupidity, as NWN companion AI does.
Bullshit.
That dude forgot to mention that a party in D&D means that each character is controlled by a different player, thus each player only controls a single character.
A game where a player controls a party of characters with a sole focus on combat is called a wargame, which is a different genre.

Actually, it isn't uncommon to play as more than one character. Especially if your party has lots of followers, as letting the PCs control those makes the game much faster.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Like it has been mentioned countless times now, it will be a good idea if and only if builders have to enable full party control for each module. I don't see a downside if that's the case.

Anyone should be able to activate it for any module they like, bearing in mind game balance/bug introduction. No one tells me how to play NWN, least of all Lacrymas on the 'Dex.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Like it has been mentioned countless times now, it will be a good idea if and only if builders have to enable full party control for each module. I don't see a downside if that's the case.

Anyone should be able to activate it for any module they like, bearing in mind game balance/bug introduction. No one tells me how to play NWN, least of all Lacrymas on the 'Dex.

Beamdog will tell you how to play NWN by not introducing full party control, so get off your high horse, I don't even know what you are trying to achieve by being this passive aggressive all the time. It's getting pretty old, pointless and tiresome.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Beamdog will tell you how to play NWN by not introducing full party control, so get off your high horse, I don't even know what you are trying to achieve by being this passive aggressive all the time. It's getting pretty old, pointless and tiresome.

Your pretentiousness and Captain Obvious shtick is tiresome.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Bullshit.
That dude forgot to mention that a party in D&D means that each character is controlled by a different player, thus each player only controls a single character.
A game where a player controls a party of characters with a sole focus on combat is called a wargame, which is a different genre.
My God, I was enlightened, so Baldur's Gate 1, 2, PoE 1, Icewind Dale 1, 2, ToEE, Dragon Age, Kotor 1 and 2, NWN 2 were all wargames all those years and I didn't notice... mah God.
By the way...

What is the definition of a RPG?
:troll:

DeepOcean

Arcane
D&D has always been about a party of adventurers.
Those people act as if NWN 2 was never a thing, controllable party members and multiplayer aren't mutually exclusive things. Actually this had been done since Baldur's Gate 2.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Your pretentiousness and Captain Obvious shtick is tiresome.

Normally I'm a big fan of the drama here, but this whole exchange felt flat and unconvincing. Even, dare I say, rehearsed!

It lacked the withering contempt that makes this place so amusing. That or it was way too realistic, which suggests there is more to this beef than meets the eye.

3/10

Edit: The underlying concept is solid and I’m hoping for better execution in the sequel.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
D&D has always been about a party of adventurers.
Those people act as if NWN 2 was never a thing, controllable party members and multiplayer aren't mutually exclusive things. Actually this had been done since Baldur's Gate 2.

They are not fans of D&D computer role-playing games, pure and simple. As I said in my article, the people who oppose full party control in cRPGs are generally ignoramuses. The various stupid responses has reinforced a viewpoint long-held by me that there are so many clueless people in the Aurora community that have not played Infinity or Electron. As such, they lack insight into the virtues and flaws of each engine; they are small-minded.

Like I said, the call for full party control never went away and isn't going to go away now; on the contrary, it's going to grow louder as more people become aware of the EE as its official release approaches. And there will always be a call for it as long as NWN exists without it.

This is really the only thing I want to see in an Enhanced Edition; I honestly don't give two shits about anything else.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They are not fans of D&D computer role-playing games, pure and simple. As I said in my article, the people who oppose full party control in computer role-playing games are generally ignoramuses when it comes to RPGs in general. The various stupid responses has reinforced a viewpoint long-held by me that there are so many clueless people in the Aurora community that have not played Infinity or Electron. As such, they lack insight into the virtues and flaws of each engine; they are small-minded.

Maybe this is worth keeping in mind the next time anyone waxes lyrical about the greatness of the NWN community and how wonderful it is that the EE will give it a new lease on life...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Maybe this is worth keeping in mind the next time anyone waxes lyrical about the greatness of the NWN community and how wonderful it is that the EE will give it a new lease on life...

I praise virtues and criticize flaws; it's all over my blog and on neverwintervault.org and the Beamdog forums. Your trollish comment will be lost in the shuffle and barely read whereas I've had 60,000 hits on my blog for this month alone.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"As I said in my article, the people who oppose full party control in computer role-playing games are generally ignoramuses when it comes to RPGs in general."

You are retartet. D&D isn't about one player controlling a multi deck 5 character party. D&D is about multiple players controlling one character each and roleplaying the hell out of it. Controlling a full party in CRPGs is done simply because it has been a lot harder to do it the actual pnp way. NWN showed that you could do it that way.

ideally, one player =- one character is the winner.

If nto possible then one player = multiple character is an acceptable alternative in desperation. But, ti isn't REAL roleplaying when you control multiple characters.

PERIOD.

In pnp, the player wouldn'\t be able to tell Jaheria or Krogan what to do. PERIOD.

"D&D has always been about combat, first and foremost."

No. D&D is a roleplaying game. Combat plays a part but D7D is about role-playing. Focus on combat is solely up to the players and DM. PERIOD.

"Not for computer RPGs, fuckstick. PS:T, MotB, Jagged Alliance 2, BG, IWD, ToEE - all of the best party-based role-playing and combat RPGs have been full party control."

IWD is not a roleplaying game in the sense that you play a role. You control a party. PST, MOTB, BG, and TOEE have roleplaying but they suffer by having the player controlling the party. FO - while its npcs are dumbfucks sometimes ebcuase of poor scripting - is true to the roleplaying silver rule of 1 player = 1 character. Same with NWN.

Deal with it.

That said, I don't oppose full party control (as evidenced by man of my fave games use it) but to pretend that is the dieal way to play D&D is fukkn' delusiona intellectual dishonesty.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
lol Volourn.

First up, FPC is a compromise cRPGs need to take because the AI isn't up to snuff. MotB and PS:T have proven that it doesn't preclude PC role-playing. Please read the article next time.

Second, Gygax disagrees with you about what D&D is. Go and play Ars Magica if you want to role-play; it's far superior in that respect to hack n slash D&D.

Third and last, vorpal all storyfags.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
My God, I was enlightened, so Baldur's Gate 1, 2, PoE 1, Icewind Dale 1, 2, ToEE, Dragon Age, Kotor 1 and 2, NWN 2 were all wargames all those years and I didn't notice... mah God.
I was talking about the real D&D, you retard. It is a fact that a party controlled by a single player is not part of the original game, but simply a gaming mechanic chosen by some devs.
And yes, I'm also a fan of classic party rpgs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom