Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Any Great Nintendo 3DS Games

crufty

Arcane
Dear Sirs,
I write this fine prestigious magazine with the sweat of worry upon my brow. It has come to my attention that the "Nintendo 3DS XL" is coming into my household and I, as provider and purveyor of all fine goods, must accommodate the populist whims of my brood via procurement of entertainment cartridges lest I be cast out as a Grinch or Scrooge in the upcoming 2013 Christmas season.

It is thus I respectfully inquire my fellow rpgcodexians for hive mind consensus on :obviously: Nintendo 3DS games in a world of :popamole:--is there anything in the sea of wretched filth that is worthy of purchase?

I already queried various Internet Search Engines for "Nintendo 3DS Nethack" and "Nintendo 3DS Stone Soup" and found nothing so already I feel doom approaching.

However--since 'tis the season of
:takemymoney:
I am apparently obligated to procure two such games, so any help w/my difficult journey would be much appreciated.

Respectfully,
Crufty

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
3DS made some neat toy army men games, otherwise.. iono.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shin Megami Tensei IV and Soul Hackers if you enjoy Shin Megami Tensei
Bravely Default if you enjoy FF games that have the job system (think FF5 or 4 Heroes of Light for the DS)
Etrian Odyssey IV if you enjoy dungeon crawlers
Fire Emblem: Awakening maybe if you enjoy SRPGs
Monter Hunter 3 perhaps?

Other than that, probably not. Though there's always Paper Mario and Pokemon ;)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If it's really about the "populist whims of my brood" and not about your own whims, though, then perhaps Paper Mario and Pokemon are actually your best bet.

TigerKnee

Arcane

But seriously, this list is worth a look:
- Etrian Odyssey games
- Fire Emblem: Awakening
- Crimson Shroud
- SMT games
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
- Devil Survivor Overclocked
- Rune Factory IV

anus_pounder

Arcane
Fire Emblem Awakening, Rune Factory IV and Pokemon. :kfc:

Kiel_1.png

crufty

Arcane

aha -- I see what you did there good sir, well played! Trip would be proud. I was actually looking at a neo geo arcade in lieu of this portable 3d balderdash, however I got word from dearest mrs claus that there is only enough room in her life for me or an arcade cabinet, not both. so, alas, my brood will continue to ignore the emulators at their disposal.

If it's really about the "populist whims of my brood" and not about your own whims, though, then perhaps Paper Mario and Pokemon are actually your best bet.
Verily, aye, these games are not for me; I myself am content w/spirited bouts of jetpack joyride whilst I wait for the start of my beloved televised hand-egg programs.

pokemon -- done. X vs Y shall do the trick I suppose.

Etrian Odyssey and Bravely Default look like tip top candidates in the 'least decline' category. Does the hive mind concur?

I thank all for thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited:

anus_pounder

Arcane

aha -- I see what you did there good sir, well played! Trip would be proud. I was actually looking at a neo geo arcade in lieu of this portable 3d balderdash, however I got word from dearest mrs claus that there is only enough room in her life for me or an arcade cabinet, not both. so, alas, my brood will continue to ignore the emulators at their disposal.

Verily, aye, these games are not for me; I myself am content w/spirited bouts of jetpack joyride whilst I wait for the start of my beloved televised hand-egg programs.

pokemon -- done. X vs Y shall do the trick I suppose.

Etrian Odyssey and Bravely Default look like tip top candidates in the 'least decline' category. Does the hive mind concur?

I thank all for thoughts and suggestions.

If you do get Bravely Default, post some impressions. I'm wondering whether I should get it or not myself.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Bravely Default

dang, I failed my "Lore, .jp import" (vs DC Easy) and did not notice...

Nintendo said:
Bravely Default will launch for 3DS in North America on February 7, Nintendo announced.

That super robot war looks perfect actually. I suppose it too is in import hell right now.

Pretty much 0% chance of ever getting an official english release of the main SRW games. I'm waiting on one of the psx titles to be translated but the translator is taking his sweet time translating a bunch of crappy shit first.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Pretty much 0% chance of ever getting an official english release of the main SRW games.
Fun fact: We could have gotten Alpha 1 on the Dreamcast officially in English, but the Macross rights holders were assholes.

There's a possibility that the series might have financially failed in English-speaking regions anyway, but this is quite a sad "What could have been" scenario.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Pretty much 0% chance of ever getting an official english release of the main SRW games.
Fun fact: We could have gotten Alpha 1 on the Dreamcast officially in English, but the Macross rights holders were assholes.

There's a possibility that the series might have financially failed in English-speaking regions anyway, but this is quite a sad "What could have been" scenario.

Damn, thats a real fuuuuuu bit of information. Funnily enough, SRW Alpha 1 happens to be the psx srw title I'm waiting to get translated. Been at 65% complete since forever. The translator (translation team?) is clearly not dead since the Aeon Genesis site is semi-regularly updated with new translation releases, which makes me rage and butthurt.

Repressed Homosexual
SMT IV is a huge disappointment: extremely boring, long, and dull first part, extremely repetitive environments that are dull to explore and all look the same, very easy bosses, horrid ultra-clean character designs, obnoxious MMO quest system, way too much streamlining... utterly forgettable. I never thought I would say this, but Etrian Odyssey games are a much better choice.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
That X-Com dude's strategy game that came out at 3DS' launch is still the best title on 3DS. Second to that is GTA: Chinatown Wars, which isn't even a 3DS title, but a last-gen DS game.

There's also the recent Resident Evil game, which has terrible control methods (and I tried all of them in the options), which is a pity because it seems otherwise interesting.

The rest is mostly shovelware and weeaboo shit.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Might I suggest Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity? I have only played the demo but a quick look at TV Tropes tells me that, oddly enough, the game is darker than Explorers of Sky, the predecessor, which is dreadfully dark (for a children's game). I am not saying dark equals good but I will say that Explorers of Sky was my favorite DS game, beating out all the proper dungeon crawlers.

249672-PM1.jpg

crufty

Arcane
SMT IV is a huge disappointment: extremely boring, long, and dull first part, extremely repetitive environments that are dull to explore and all look the same, very easy bosses, horrid ultra-clean character designs, obnoxious MMO quest system, way too much streamlining... utterly forgettable. I never thought I would say this, but Etrian Odyssey games are a much better choice.

thanks hhr, i thought SMT looked like generic garbage

will continue my search--x-com dude? is that ghosts?

random almost apropos youtube vid

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom