Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Citizen Squadron 42 Single Player Campaign Crowdfunded Into Vapor

Suchy

Arcane
Nothing unexpected.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...r-campaign-delayed-indefinitely/#7833cf9b2e0d

Star Citizen's 'Squadron 42' Single Player Campaign Delayed Until Some Future Undefined Date

Erik Kain

Contributor

I write about the intersection of entertainment and technology.

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

squadron-42-gary-oldman-1200x675.jpg

Squadron 42 has been delayed. (Credit: CIG)

Squadron 42, the single player campaign for upcoming space MMO Star Citizen, has been delayed indefinitely.

Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium Games made the delay announcement during a livestream, stating that while a lot of the basics were complete, a great deal more had to be done. This includes in-progress development on things like pathfinding logic, enhanced flight AI, and the mission integration system.

The campaign’s 28 missions are simply not done yet, according to Roberts, with some still at the grey-box level. The developer has been notoriously quiet about a release date—up until now, while very little from the campaign had been shown, CIG had still not pushed back the 2016 release window.

2017 is now the target, but I won’t be holding my breath until a great deal more of Squadron 42 is on the table.

On the other hand, much of what was shown at CitizenCon looked very impressive, especially the giant sand worm (around the 1:54:00 mark in the below video.)

Of course, all this amazing looking tech for an incredible looking game might just as easily be described as “feature creep.” One can’t help but worry about the developer’s ambition here, and the sheer amount of work, time, and money all of this requires. With no end in sight, multiple delays, and what appears to be an ever-expanding game, it’s no wonder some people worry that Star Citizen will be stuck in development forever.

I remain hopeful. At the very least, each time I see footage of the game it looks terrific, and things seem to be moving along, however slowly. I almost hesitate to even write about the game, however, as superfans and supercritics alike will almost certainly descend to either defend the game’s honor, or point out its every flaw.

Recommended by Forbes
On that note, please refrain. I really don’t need to hear all the reasons why this latest footage proves anything one way or another. The game is not finished. My hope is that one day it will be. In the meantime, I’ll keep checking back in to check on its progress. It’s a real shame that Squadron 42 has been delayed, but not entirely surprising. Nor do delays mean that the final product will be a disappointment. Sometimes games simply need more time.

Update:

Per the request of many readers, I’ve changed the headline. Before it read “indefinitely” which means “for an unlimited or unspecified period of time” according to the dictionary and, you know, the English language.

The game was set for a 2016 release date, and has now been pushed back to a later, unspecified release date. Given that it’s such a long, long ways off from completion, this could really be any time. They are indicating 2017, but that’s far from certain. Hence, it has been delayed “indefinitely” rather than “until March 13th, 2017.”

Readers—superfans?—took indefinitely to mean “the game has been cancelled.” This is preposterous, of course, but better safe than sorry. Had I wanted to say the game is likely not going to release or is done for, I would have said so. Instead I pointed out that, rather than a delay to a specific time, the game has been delayed to an unspecific time.

Hence the new title which is hopefully less “clickbait” for your outrage. Of course, this is too late to stem the tide of anger and calls for my head and complaints to this publication and so forth. Fanboys rarely behave well, and this is another example of just such a time when my faith in fandom is rocked; or rather, my critique of fandom is bolstered.

I wrote an article about Star Citizen not long ago urging its critics to calm down and give it time; stop worrying, I argued, and let’s see what happens. Projects like these take times. My how the fans of the game loved me then. Point out that there’s maybe a little trouble in paradise, that the single-player game is not coming along as promised, and all that changes. Whatever. I’ll be your persona non grata today, as long as we can be best buddies tomorrow, oh thou fickle masses.

Suchy

Arcane
K, that's one forum I never check. Still the news is about its single-player campaign.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The whole sp campaign was what I hoped for and why I backed this back then. I simply wanted a new Wing Commander game. What a shame.
The good in all of this is that we - who only wanted a Wing Commander game - can buy this sepereately and don't have bother with the MMO crap which probably will be in development for eternity.

DramaticPopcorn

The whole sp campaign was what I hoped for and why I backed this back then. I simply wanted a new Wing Commander game. What a shame.
The good in all of this is that we - who only wanted a Wing Commander game - can buy this sepereately and don't have bother with the MMO crap which probably will be in development for eternity.
JUST HOW FUCKING DELUDED ARE YOU?!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I should have added that IF SQ42 gets released, which if course might be a 100 years away. BUT the good thing is that at least we don't have to bother with the MMO crap IF this gets released seperately.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think they might hurry the release in case their funding dwindles and they need some cash.

I just want a new Wing Commander, I don't really have the time (and nerve) for an MMO, and I wonder that those people who are financing Star Citizen with bigger sums do have the time.

Thane Solus

Arcane

ITZ a requirement if you want to be a moderator on Ze Codex.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
That was my impression too. Star Citizen reminds me of games like F-16 Falcon 4.0 or Lock On Modern Aircraft where people had to wait 10 years for their game and another 10 years until they had hardware that could play it. Though the results in both cases are amazing.

I would not be surprised if Star Citizen will have to go through several iterations and companies (lets say Roberts industry is bancrupt in 2 years but people decide the code is too good to abandon, another company takes over and (eventually) in 2025 you can play a game which will be behind several new paywalls). But still this could become one of a few great games like First Racing, The Hunter or DCS that only few people ever play because they have the money and are motivated enough.

Just whatever happens if you expect anything will be released in 2018 and run smooth as butter, then you will be fooled.

See you again Christmas 2018.

Burning Bridges

Well. The point that many younger people may not know is that Wing Commander was shit. As was Strike Commander, just as any Chris Roberts game.

They got hyped through the roof by the media and graphicwankers but no serious gamer ever played them more than a few missions and got bored.

Basically they consist of cringeworthy amateur B-movie sequences that cost millions to make but look like students did them, with interactive pew pew sequences that "look like" a spacesim. If I am in the mood to see corny movies I'd rather watch movies like Starship troopers and not some simulation of a game.

If this shittiness returns into Star Citizen then I dont even see the point. That could have been done much better by some AAA studio.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dialogues being ME/DA style I want to be Dragon BS. :decline: Glad to not backing this shit. :incline:
Is that the one thing that makes you glad about not backing?

One of the first I noticed but being a) lazy b) busy preparing christmas bitched about only those dialogues; did not complained about premise of highly trained and valuable navy pilot doing jarhead work despite that there marines are on the deck but obviously busy baby sitting some pirate POVs and looking cool in cutscene. Only good thing coming from this demo is predictable feminazist and soy boys :butthurt:when our protagonist rescues the stong and independynt womyn from some tasteful rape. But still not sure if this :decline: or :incline: to be honest. And some vistas of space and such... liked also uniforms, weapons and ship design: modern but with some militaristic edge and grit in it.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Basically they consist of cringeworthy amateur B-movie sequences that cost millions to make but look like students did them, with interactive pew pew sequences that "look like" a spacesim. If I am in the mood to see corny movies I'd rather watch movies like Starship troopers and not some simulation of a game.
You could also say the Star Wars fan movies have long since surpassed the Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II cinematics, but that doesn't mean Dark Forces II isn't worth experiencing.

Burning Bridges

I meant that I found them shit when they came out and still do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom