Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I get that part, the Cobra models by themselves look good in my opinion. It's just the skeletons standing on top that ruin it for me. What is a skeleton with a "regular" sized spear and shield going to do from up there?

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Those examples are indeed crazy, but it seemed to impart some sign of status (dwarven or religious, etc.). Those characters are leaders/heroes of the faction. Furthermore, I could see the Dwarves carrying Thorgrim being able to swing a hammer/axe or ram the throne into someone's head.

Here, we seem to have a normal foot-soldier standing on top of a a giant Cobra and with a weapon that cannot reach most enemies. Moreover, there already is a cobra variant that has arms and swings a spear (see below, bottom right).

ss_4e929954839f5f9b09b4ec51a0ccce56b8b98e00.1920x1080.jpg

It would look less crazy to me if it straddled the cobra and had a pike (long spear?).

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're talking about the imagineers who brought us the 'drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword' meme.

latest
Not at all, the sword is for deflecting bullets and shells.
I get that part, the Cobra models by themselves look good in my opinion. It's just the skeletons standing on top that ruin it for me. What is a skeleton with a "regular" sized spear and shield going to do from up there?
Engage other warriors mounted on giant mounts:
ba52badde4f938f7e6f8f32e47c8a9c6--war-elephant-ancient-greece.jpg

The sarissa is a regular sized spear for Macedonians.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Arkhan the Black

Nagash’s principle lieutenant, Arkhan helped lead the coup which brought the hated arch-necromancer to initial power. He led many armies against Nagash’s enemies, and was finally slain in a suicidal counter-attack against the Priest King’s soldiers that enabled Nagash to escape. He was raised again by his master to become the Liche King, and for countless generations since Nagash’s death at the hands of King Alcadizaar, he has vented his wrath on the lands of the living.

Arkhan enjoys bonus diplomatic relations with Vampire Counts factions, and his regions never suffer public order penalties from Vampiric corruption. Heroes embedded in his army gain melee attack and melee defence bonuses, and all his armies factionwide gain a boost to their Winds of Magic Power Reserve.

Aaand there's the faction for me.

All shall be done for the glory of the Great Necromancer, and in His name the rebel kings shall be brought to heel.

Is there a way to run this thing without Steam and/or other spyware?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Arkhan the Black

Nagash’s principle lieutenant, Arkhan helped lead the coup which brought the hated arch-necromancer to initial power. He led many armies against Nagash’s enemies, and was finally slain in a suicidal counter-attack against the Priest King’s soldiers that enabled Nagash to escape. He was raised again by his master to become the Liche King, and for countless generations since Nagash’s death at the hands of King Alcadizaar, he has vented his wrath on the lands of the living.

Arkhan enjoys bonus diplomatic relations with Vampire Counts factions, and his regions never suffer public order penalties from Vampiric corruption. Heroes embedded in his army gain melee attack and melee defence bonuses, and all his armies factionwide gain a boost to their Winds of Magic Power Reserve.

All shall be done for the glory of the Great Necromancer, and in His name the rebel kings shall be brought to heel.

The DLC isn't out yet, and considering number of bugs, pirates are hesitant to crack it. In fact some streamers are hesitant to play it. (Because they would need to test which difficulty is actually that hard difficulty, and if easy is still in fact legendary, and hard is in fact easy in last update. CA screwed up.)

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Arkhan the Black

Some details I forgot to post (I cannot find the reddit thread at the moment) is that Arkhan will have a special building that unlocks certain Vampire Count units. Furthermore, the Tomb Kings wont use the typical gold purchase/upkeep model for army creation. Instead, each new building in a settlement increases the amount of units you can raise. I am not sure whether that means gold will not be used at all (i.e., even in constructing new buildings, etc). Furthermore, building a new army requires either research into a specific dynasty, crafting a new army at the mortuary cult, or obtaining a book of Nagash.

Another detail is the new resource for Canopic Jars. You use the Canopic Jars to create legendary units or monsters, which are in addition to Regiments of Renown.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Might as well post it here too. PSA, you can get a Rome 2 DLC for free if you sign up for Total War Access (basically, CA trying to deliver news by themselves with occasional free stuff like this so people don't go anywhere they're reminded that the TW devs are sweeping stuff under the rug).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Might as well post it here too. PSA, you can get a Rome 2 DLC for free if you sign up for Total War Access (basically, CA trying to deliver news by themselves with occasional free stuff like this so people don't go anywhere they're reminded that the TW devs are sweeping stuff under the rug).
Too bad the Rome 2 DLCs are pretty much all worthless.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Campaign packs are at least worth it, particularly Sparta one offered in this deal. Culture packs are horrible cash grabs, though. Then again CA saw they could get away with it in Shogun 2 so why stop?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Arkhan the Black

The DLC isn't out yet, and considering number of bugs, pirates are hesitant to crack it. In fact some streamers are hesitant to play it. (Because they would need to test which difficulty is actually that hard difficulty, and if easy is still in fact legendary, and hard is in fact easy in last update. CA screwed up.)

So it's either pirate or spyware? No option to just, you knowm buy the shit and play it without spyware?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
For commercial games and for SEGA? You pay through your nose.

Japanese companies are obsessed with profits, and they are viewing games as a means to grab money from these foolish whites who created copyright laws to be more easily milked. Concept of art or free art? These larger companies are accustomed to people who buy games on consoles for theirs kids, and concept of players who are using games for other reasons than mild entertainment went bit over their head.

Obviously when you want your flashy stuff with boobs tailored to force average white to give money to Japanese companies, you should accept that DRM.

I actually wonder if they will not try to use a DRM to prevent old games running, or to go into some kind of monthly subscription model, which would allow them to use theirs old tactic to sell the same game again. (New console? Small graphic update and sell the same game again... That's kinda harder with PC.)

Ludovic

Valravn Games
Developer
My own experience working for a different Japanese-owned subsidiary studio, and what I've heard about SEGA, is nothing like this. They don't interfere much with Western studios, apart from some very specific IP/titles. In some cases they don't want western SEGA subsidiary games marketed in Japan (try looking for Total War games in a Japanese-account Steam Store). A western studio which doesn't break even will be shut down much faster than if it was in Japan, but as long as there's more than 10% ROI they don't care how it's done. Amplitude Studios is a subsidiary of SEGA, and they have a very different business model than CA.

Personally I don't mind the CA expansion and dlc strategy. I think there's decent value-for-money in them. I was unhappy about ME polish/bugs, Norsca, RoR, some of the Attila stuff, Rome 2, etc. so it's not like they don't have any pages in my Book of Grudges. But compared to Relic, who butchered the Dawn of War franchise, I think they're doing a good job with the WHFB license. Either way, any blame or praise belongs with the studio and not the corporate overlords. Being a Japanese subsidiary is completely different than being part of EA, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, etc.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
There is a thread on the Total War forum that has compiled a list of information about the Tomb Kings (see https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/210401/all-tomb-kings-information). Crafting appears to be a faction mechanic for Tomb Kings.

* Dynasties. 6 Dynasty's total. Dynasty's will give access to more armies, heroes and unique lords.
* They are the first Total War faction to have crafting. They will be able to craft various things like unique magic weapons, armour, talismans, plus enchanted, arcane items and Legions of Legend.
* Books of Nagash. The books will give a randomized buff when owned.
* The Vortex Campaign for Tomb Kings will have cinematics. The Tomb Kings wont be racing for the Vortex, but will instead be working on collecting the nine books of Nagash.
* Settra can't be confederated. He does not serve.
* Gold is still useful. It can be used in a variety of different game systems from Buildings to Rites to Dynasties and the Mortuary Cult crafting system to name a few. Gold is still an important factor for Tomb King's, but isn't as abundant for them as it is for other races.
* Tomb Kings use trade to generate a small amount of income compared with other races and use it primarily to craft magical items and Legions of Legend within the Mortuary Cult crafting system.
* Books of Nagash are in both campaigns, but only as part of the victory conditions and narrative story telling in the Vortex campaign. In ME you can totally ignore them if you so wish.
* AI uses the unit cap and army cap systems with the same restrictions as the player.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm not exactly sure what to think of the "Crafting" angle. What's next - A zombie survival open world mode?

Vibalist

Arcane
Yeah. It sounds mildly interesting, but it sure as hell isn't something that will make me rush out and buy the DLC on release.

tabacila

Augur
Crafting sounds nice, but I'd rather just have a way to sell all the trash items I invariably collect.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Crafting by itself does not interest me, but CA is putting more thought into campaign objectives and faction perks, which is a positive step in my mind. Compare the TW2 factions with Empire (offices) or Dwarves (underpath?) and TW1 looks bare. As much as I want new factions, I wouldn't mind CA spending time touching up the old factions.

tabacila

Augur
Yes, TW1 factions, especially the Empire, feel dated as hell compared to the TW2 ones. I'm afraid how they'll feel by the time TW3 comes out since I like playing the (almost) normal humans the most.
The least effort they could make imo is adding rites for the old factions.
Next step would be giving them some sort of faction appropriate battlefield mechanic like the Dark Elves' Murderous Prowess.
The really shooting for the stars stuff is adding better campaign mechanics for the old factions, ESPECIALLY the Empire.

Also they really need to work on the campaign AI when it comes to non-suitable regions, especially if they figure in your allies' objectives. Don't really want to fight my best friends the Dwarfs coz they decided they like the weather down in Stirland.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's the whole theme of Sphinx, animal with human face.
Actually, it was originally lion head. Just Pharaoh wanted to have his face on that giant lion. Which is reason it's facing bit sideways. There was a lion head already, and the best way to remodel it to Pharaoh head was to angling it a little.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Tomb Kings gameplay:

Also, new Skaven LL confirmed as Tretch Craventrail.
tretch.png

tretch3.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom