Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Sjukob

Arcane
I have stopped playing PB for the exact reasons stated above. I haven't heard about final doomer before 2017 cacowards, I've tried it recently and I really like it. So if you are feeling overwhelmed with spawns of brutal doom consider giving it a go. Also beautiful doom works quite well with it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Is there a way to remove dual wielding weapons from the Brutal Doom v20 arsenal? They are really fucking annoying to cycle through.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Is there a way to remove dual wielding weapons from the Brutal Doom v20 arsenal? They are really fucking annoying to cycle through.

Really easy way.

SsG2aKt.png

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So...I'm gonna give up on Hell Revealed. Every map is a slaughtermap now and level design got flushed down the toilet. OTOH, requiem is pretty amazing.

Hey Unkillable Cat , what sourceport u use with AEoD? Because I couldn't get it to run on either Gzdoom/Zandronum. Still using brutality for my weapon replacements.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Eyestabber Realizing that I had upgraded GZDoom without testing AoD, I did so... and it doesn't work anymore (GZDoom 3.2.1.). Strangely enough my backups don't include my GZDoom folder, so I can't give you the exact version number, but I was using a SVN release of GZDoom from at least a couple of years back. The readme states:

You must use GZDoom >= 2.1.pre-901 or Zdoom >= 2.8pre-1399.

So that should give you a frame of reference of what version to use. Try finding a 2.8 version of GZDoom and see if that works.

EDIT: The above info is for AoD v6.06. There's a newer version out that I haven't tested, and it states that it needs GZDoom 3.2 or higher.

As for me, I'm currently having a go at the latest Brutal Doom beta with Hell Revealed and Hell Revealed II. Had to stop on HR because I'm encountering a bug where I can't disable the 'feature' that rocket boxes can be blown up like barrels... because MAP15 places rocket boxes on every single teleporter pad in the outer circle, and teleporting onto those pads counts as blowing them up, making every mandatory teleport a certain death. But before I quit I had a go at MAP31 and MAP32, because I remember them from when I played through HR with AoD. The AoD weapon is all about options, you will encounter over 100 different enemies (with some needing special tactics to kill) but you should also have several dozen weapons and items to choose from... meaning you literally have a weapon for every occasion. For MAP31's descent, you're gonna need some of the more oddball ones. You can either ride the lift all the way down and kill the mobs as they spawn, or do it the safe way and stay up at the top and rain down fire from far above. AoD gives you a nice range of gear for that purpose, whether it be one of 3+ grenade launchers, a Heresiarch dropped in their midst who does the fighting for you, or if you just fire a couple of rounds from the true BFG10000 and annihilate everything due to the long way down.

Brutal Doom however, doesn't give you such luxuries. Your best options are the BFG and the rocket launcher (the grenades are on a timer so they explode long before they reach the baddies). For that you have to stand right at the edge of the pit, and that means everything down there can (and will) fire back at you... including the 8 chaingunners that join the fray at the very bottom. Now I'm not 100% certain on this, but it seems that when the lethality of their miniguns is taken into consideration, the z-axis is not factored in... so even though they're firing half a mile up into the air, their shots count as if they're at point-blank range. Meaning you'll get torn apart in about a second if they get a chance to rev up their guns.

Also, I came across that bizarre bug again where a Revenant became unkillable on MAP31. It only seems to happen under those exact circumstances (Revenant, MAP31, v21 version of Brutal Doom).

As for MAP32 - no comment. It's probably doable (as sometimes you only need a single BFG shot to frag a Cyberdemon) but I didn't feel like it.

Hell Revealed II, however, is proving to be much more entertaining under Brutal Doom. The exploding rocket boxes are still a problem here, but it's not a game-breaking factor... yet. Currently on MAP20, but I gave MAP31 and MAP32 a pass after having a go at them for testing purposes. MAP31 slowed down to a crawl in one place (which can happen quite frequently in AoD) which rendered that fight unwinnable, and MAP32 starts that way and keeps that way through the end. Don't even think of trying that one in Brutal Doom... but both aforementioned maps are awesome in AoD, and a true test of your arsenal.

Ash

Arcane

Really easy way.

SsG2aKt.png

Nice. I was wondering about that, too. The crappy revenant cannon and dual wield shit has pissed me off since v19 or whatever. I remember BD v18 when you could call BD a relatively faithful update. Just ignore the (optional) fatality & taunting retardation and you have Doom 2.5. I still really enjoy it, great mod, but it just gets +1 ridiculous and unfaithfulness factor with each update.

Sjukob

Arcane
Hell Revealed II, however, is proving to be much more entertaining under Brutal Doom
I think map 15 - The Path II is the pinnacle of difficulty in HRII. It has everything to be annoying: lots of damaging floors , all sorts of sniping monsters placed in a way that it is hard to hit them, hordes of revenants, ambushes in tight places and throughout the whole map you are constantl being attacked from all directions. I've never ragequit during my HR playthrouhgs, not once, in fact when I first started playing doom I launched those exact wads with brutal doom, may be that is the reason. I must say though that BD makes game easier because it greatly increases player's damage in significantly nerfs revenants.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I think map 15 - The Path II is the pinnacle of difficulty in HRII. It has everything to be annoying: lots of damaging floors , all sorts of sniping monsters placed in a way that it is hard to hit them, hordes of revenants, ambushes in tight places and throughout the whole map you are constantl being attacked from all directions. I've never ragequit during my HR playthrouhgs, not once, in fact when I first started playing doom I launched those exact wads with brutal doom, may be that is the reason. I must say though that BD makes game easier because it greatly increases player's damage in significantly nerfs revenants.

I LOVE these kinds of maps. I love the 'puzzle' element of finding those meager safe spots from which I can stage hit-and-run attacks against nearby enemies. MAP26 of Alien Vendetta is a great example of this.

But... are you saying BD nerfs Revenants? Because it doesn't.

If you shoot them with the shotgun and aim at 'standard' level, you'll usually end up with the half-a-Revenant instead of a dead one. The trick is to aim slightly higher at them, and if you're close enough the Super Shotgun should kill them in one hit.

One weapon that's heavily nerfed against Revenants is the Plasma Gun. Seriously, go frag a bunch of Revenants using the Minigun, and then again with the Plasma. They take FOREVER to die to plasma fire. Fortunately the BFG doesn't care. Revenants also only have an appetite for a single rocket to the face.

And all that's before you factor in their damage output, which is boosted under BD.

Also, personal achievement of mine - I just pistol-whipped a Cyberdemon. Only had 6 bullets left from a maxed-out ammo supply, but it's dead.

Sjukob

Arcane
But... are you saying BD nerfs Revenants? Because it doesn't.
And all that's before you factor in their damage output, which is boosted under BD.
Well I remember that their projectiles deal way less damage in BD, sometimes I find myself just eating them, while in original doom even a single revenant hit really hurts. Also their tracking capabilities don't seem as ridiculous as before.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The tracking missiles hurt when you don't have any armor on, that's for certain.

Their barrage rockets certainly hurt like hell, but it's their punches you gotta watch out for.

EDIT: Forgot their most powerful attack: Imp Projectile! That one REALLY hurts. Fortunately you blow up the Imp before it hits. :)

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So little update.

I managed to get AEoD running with the latest GZdoom. Turns out my first download was corrupted o.O. After redownloading the mod and launching it again via ZDL, everything is working fine. As for maps, I'm in love with "The Way ID it". Very vanilla-like.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I've been playing Netronian chaos with the return to Saturn X map pack. A much as I like it I really feel that Netronian needs a map pack that suits the theme. Every time I play it I'm expecting Shogo: Mobile Armor Division giant mechs and cyberpunk enemies.

Sjukob

Arcane
So I've finished Scythe 2, yeah for the first time. Of course I played it before but always abandoned it when it was getting much harder towards the end. I was playing with high noon drifter modd, which, in case you don't know heavily favors the player, but even then I found certain maps very very hard, there is very little chance I would've been able to finish it with standart doom arsenal. As a man who completed HR2 several times I can assure you that barely anything out there can compare to the bullshit you will face in Scythe 2 and HR2 is known for it's difficulty. I didn't feel frustrated but I was on the edge for a much longer periods than I was in HR2 playthroughs.

Still I think it is a good megawad and maps look fantastic even today, can't praise gameplay much though I still would prefer Scythe over it's sequel. I had fun nonetheless.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I know this isn’t the most common way to play Doom and games based on the same engine, but Chocolate Doom 3.0 is finally out. It is now based on SDL2 libraries, which gives better compatibility with modern systems. There is a version for all of Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife.

In case you don’t know, Chocolate Doom is a strict vanilla port of Doom, so those of you craving for various enhancements should look elsewhere. If, like me, you want vanilla compatibility with a few cosmetic enhancements, look into Crispy Doom, itself based on Chocolate Doom.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Wanted to give a heads up to a wonderful mod I've been playing for a while

Magitek Doom

Basically it allows you to play with various loadouts of weapons and spells, at the start of the level and after picking up a key a dispenser will appear near you allowing you to switch weapons and spells. You can only carry 4 weapons and 1 spell, but weapons have altfires, sometimes several ones and they can be changed depending on the element you choose.

What I found extremely good about this is balance. Usually modders either favor players or monsters but it's not the case with this mod. Here it's a true battle between a marine and demons and you have to put effort to win because monsters got boosted, they now have special attacks, increased speed and some even behave a bit different. At the start I felt overwhelmed with this, because there is A LOT of stuff for you to play with and THERE ARE NO USELESS ITEMS ( except only for rifle, it sucks and I haven't found a use for it ), the monsters move much faster, you have a lot of new attacks and your actions seem a bit slow. But after a while it clicked and started to see the beuty of actions and it's possibilities. See, at the start you have a pistol, nothing too fancy, it can either fire a single round or load up to 12 (whole magazine) for a burst shot and you might think: "Meh, I wonder when they'll give me a chaingun" that until you find out that you can kill any enemy up to imps with just a single headshot from this thing and then you try burst fire, and notice you can kill a fucking hell knight with just one fucking burst (if you are good enough) and then you get a minigun which is slower, less accurate but unlike pistol it can mow crowds down. And it's just one, ONE example of decission you have to make - do you want a slower more powerful gun or faster and more accurate one. Level with ambushes ? Take "Freeze time" spell. Want more armor? Pick up earth element and fortify yourself. The fucking chaingunners and revenants in hard to get to places are giving you trouble? Dark magic is full of homing of projectiles, give them taste of their own medicine! There are really too much things to list but you will start playing with spells and weapons, you will have to consider what ammo you have, what enemies you are going to face, what sort of environment you are in, it just really allows you to be creative. When I play this I always find myself considering various options, it's much fun!

Yes certain things look a bit junky like: UI, some sprites and effects but these are minor issues.

You have to try it for yourself, I highly recommend it. But please start with easier wads so you can adjust because things can get really chaotic in harder wads. Give wonderful doom a go, I found it well tailored for this mod.

Also you will need GZDoom 2.2.0 which can be found here, the mod doesn't work well on newer versions. Now go find some meat!

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Neo Doom. Very good megawad for the Zdoom engine. From what I've played so far, the best megawad for the zdoom engine. Plays just fine with GZdoom too.

It takes a bit to get used to, since it has many new enemies and new weapons. It feels a bit like doom64. Apart from a retardedly frustrating slaughterfest in level 2 or 3 it flows nicely. New enemies are added with increasing challenge, but you also get new toys to blow them away with. You also have various items at your disposal which you can use. I found some weapons and items redundant, but in general they keep things interesting.

As soon as you leave the first 2-3 futuristic base levels, you get to visit some beautiful forest open areas and some excellent city levels. The wad is huge, with each level taking about an hour to finish. I liked the secrets, sometimes they also use sound to give you hints. There's one retarded damage-sponge boss at some point, but oh well it's ok, the rest of the stuff is p.great. The fact that this wad was made in 2006 is incredible, it's filled with custom textures and sprites.

It's p.hard. I advise to play it at "let's do something".

3QP2KfD.jpg

naanA5t.jpg

Killer wild mice:

RrWVCXP.jpg

Blood bowl:

gX6UXZo.jpg

street fighting

MuV0cF7.jpg

Crime rate in this city is way up...

yZXQrJR.jpg

Highway to hell

kZJZAG3.jpg

Demonic resort villa

ny1PLZd.jpg

Nice decoration...

NV9Vz4a.jpg

SECRAT LEVAL !

Q1JEq5u.jpg

Lego marine buddies

Eox2YTA.jpg

Ugly caco

tBFPuj9.jpg

What a fucking bitch!

BHJ48qL.jpg

A night at the movies.

gNgR4PZ.jpg

I wont stand this mockery of a movie, behead all assholes who went to see this crap !

nccYLiu.jpg

Now that's some quality gentlemen's entertainment... :obviously:

T7WxLXX.jpg

Alien vs Predator...

C069Rs8.jpg

Temple of doom

jI3ZHu1.jpg

Hexenians !

GF0TV3G.jpg

Curse of the Pharaohs...

WakWlEK.jpg

Cyberdemons reside in this pyramid.

FB0nsUD.jpg

That horned fucker is tough

cwYWIGd.jpg

Arctic level !

2WHCDuc.jpg

izD9uUY.jpg

Ancient spaceship from a galaxy far, far away...

nB21JXO.jpg

Forest mayhem

dxzHL5h.jpg

S7N7ok5.jpg

Church of death

N3cEKre.jpg

Yay! Magic skull-wand

Bs0e0j8.jpg

Hellish temples...

TiiDuR2.jpg

jom5ebt.jpg

FUUUUUUUUU-

Kej2653.jpg

RSpdJkq.jpg

2xJZKEM.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Ah, modder drama.

They're jelly as fuck because he could do what they didn't - put together a mod that made Doom worth playing again. It was so successful that one of its new additions (kill foes in melee to self-heal) became the core aspect of the 2016 Doom game.

Sjukob

Arcane
Ah, modder drama.

They're jelly as fuck because he could do what they didn't - put together a mod that made Doom worth playing again. It was so successful that one of its new additions (kill foes in melee to self-heal) became the core aspect of the 2016 Doom game.
I don't even try to understand them, the "reasoning" they provide is insane. What's funny about it is that it has been going on for years and I doubt it will stop.

Mark seems interesting however. I wish he knew about codex, I would've liked to see his behaviour on this site.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Brutal Doom is still shit, though.

Mark seems interesting however. I wish he knew about codex, I would've liked to see his behaviour on this site.

He's generally a butthurt faggot or an asshole from what I've heard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom