Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG of the year?

Which rpg is the best this year?

• ELEX

Votes: 59 18.1%
  • Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Votes: 56 17.2%
  • Expeditions: Viking

Votes: 23 7.1%
  • Divinity:Original sin 2

Votes: 92 28.2%
  • South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Spellforce 3

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • The Surge

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Nier: Automata

Votes: 20 6.1%
  • Galaxy of Pen & Paper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pyre

• Cat Quest

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hand of Fate 2

• Battle Chasers: Nightwar

• Mages of Mystralia

• Regalia: Of Men And Monarchs

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • West of Loathing

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Vaporum

• Seven: The Days Long Gone

• Demons Age

• Hyakki Castle

• The Keep

• Willy-Nilly Knight

• Ticket to Earth

• Devoid of Shadows

• Children of Zodiarcs

• Fall of Light

• Mass Effect: Andromeda

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • QueenComrade!!!

Votes: 27 8.3%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The fact that Expeditions: Viking is tied with Numanuma makes my blood boil.
Fetch your tools, we've got blood eagles to perform.
Waiting for a patch to fix the interactivity bug with the tools. Hope that there is no bug when i am giving you the tools and there is no dialogue option.

PS:Joke aside it is real shame,great buggy game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I didn't have a single problem with the PC port of Nier: Automata either. The game bends over backwards to provide the most dizzying array of customization for the player regarding key bindings and input devices.

You can bind/re-bind and cross-bind any key you want (with a rare few exceptions, like you must have an Options Menu key bound somewhere, to something).

The game even provides PC players with an extra/additional "sheet" of functions that can be bound individually like for example this PC port allows a PC player who chooses to use KEYBOARD + MOUSE to bind the "right analog axis" as FOUR INDIVIDUAL KEY BINDINGS and bind them to whatever the hell the PC player wants as well.

And the above example does not disable the Mouse's "right analog axis" behavior, it simply means now you'll be able to Mouse-Look and additionally have the same X-axis bound to four other different keys... IF the player wants to.

It allows you to use 1 key for universal dodge-roll evasion or to use double-tapping the directional movement keys (i.e. the "left analog stick" equivalent).

With some creative usage of input device emulation/binding software (I use a combo of AutoHotkey plus Xbox360 CE tool) you can play with both methods, though I don't see why anyone would want to do so.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Holy fucking shit where is Battle Brothers

Would make me rage if I wasn't an impotent old fuck that doesn't care about anything anymore except women

You carry on the true fight youngsters

Sad fucking story

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
did you not see the part where I jump-pounced three times in a row with a huge oversized sword then immediately jumped straight up and air--dashed then activated my other swords that are smaller so I throw them spinning like a wheel?

that's the RPG part right there :)

also, the game has:

- many towns/villages/hubs
- half the game is focused around extremely large "sandbox areas"
- you have character attributes such as STR, multiple defenses and you gain Levels
- you can recruit party members (I have one following me in the videos)
- the majority of your play-time in Nier Automata is spent doing side-quests such as gathering shit in order to upgrade shit, and/or doing side-missions that (choice and consequences!) alter the game's structure

a) the game has 3 different, completely mutually exclusive (well, the beginning prolog is always the same) "routes" through the game with different content, items, npcs, story cutscenes, dialog, quests, etc
b) the game has a ton of endings. I haven't bothered checking out the requisites for them.

Now, I've already gone on record on this thread and stated that I would not have personally put NIER AUTOMATA on an "RPG of the Year" list, (it's game of the year for me); because I do not consider games such as:

- WITCHER series
- Demon/Dark Souls series
- Nier series (Automata is the latest)

None of those games are real RPGs, or even "fake" RPGs to me, and to anyone with half a brain. They're action-RPGs, no more no less. So in a poll like this I not only would not include Nier: Aut, I also would never include stuff like Witcher 3 or Dark Souls, so, take my opinion with a grain of salt, since I know a lot of peeps in this site think those games are true-blue RPGs.

TL;DR My personal way of identifying quickly the RPG-ness of a game that has flashy combat and stuff like the above games:

IF THERE IS DODGE-ROLL BUTTON = NOT AN RPG.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ah? My definition is, if it has dungeons, stats and levels it's an RPG.

The dungeons are very important! Note that a town can be a dungeon. It's kind of an abstract term for a game board that has encounters and loot and fights.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy fucking shit where is Battle Brothers

Would make me rage if I wasn't an impotent old fuck that doesn't care about anything anymore except women

You carry on the true fight youngsters

Sad fucking story
Battle Brothers is GOTY but it's not an RPG.... I think

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Regarding W1, It's more of an action adventure. More like Zelda than Fallout. Character development almost doesn't exist, combat is entirely twitch...

I mean, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has a deeper character development and equipment system and still we don't call it an RPG but a Metroidvania.

Gimble

Educated
Regarding W1, It's more of an action adventure. More like Zelda than Fallout. Character development almost doesn't exist, combat is entirely twitch...

It may not have as deep customization as fallout 1/2, but within the witcher theme you can play as warrior/alchemy specilaist or even mostly as a mage. It definitely is stats based - stats and equipment have a greater influence on combat outcome than just twitch/timing the hits.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I can say the same for Castlevania: SOTN. Though I see what you're saying.

Gimble

Educated
I can say the same for Castlevania: SOTN. Though I see what you're saying.
Well, you said if it has dungeons, stats and levels then it counts as an RPG.... and then say W1 is not when it has all that and more.

Considering that "what is or is not an RPG" has been debated ever since ultima/wizardry days and almost right through RPGCodex history, at least be consistent with your own views before initiating that debate again..

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Twitchers aren't RPGs because Geralt follows commands rather than interpreting them. Geralt is an extension of you from a gameplay perspective, he's not a character with his own limitations and potential. Twitch combat = automatically not an RPG, no matter to what extent stats govern the twitchiness. I'd say only the Gothics manage to blend the two.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Divinity: OS2 was fun at first but by the end it made me want to stab my eyes out. Nope.

ELEX absorbed a good week and a half of time but it all felt kind of meh in the end.

I guess Grimoire is neat for having come out at all but I could never vote for such a terrible game.

Nier ended up being pretty good but it barely qualifies as an RPG by most standards.

Kind of a bum year really.

Gimble

Educated
Kind of a bum year really.

Try something different from the popular choices, then? Expeditions, Alvora tactics, Starcrawlers, Monster's den, even Willy-Nilly Knight is a surprise. Lower expectations may lead to better enjoyment - kind of like the way Elex turned out.

Azarkon

Arcane
Nier: Automata is as much of a JRPG as the Witcher is a CRPG. The Codex voted for Witcher as CRPG of the year several times, so I don't have a problem with Nier: Automata being there. That said, it's not a game I would want to vote for. Even by JRPG standards, its character system and choices and consequences leave much to be desired, and the open world game play is both repetitive and distracting given the game's focus on narrative. The game has strong aesthetics and solid writing. That's about it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yes. Even though on paper the combat is solid it's certainly not that great either. NieR gets my vote mainly based on the strength and, dare I say it, depth of its writing. It's like PS:T where the story/directing sells the game.

Of course, still have to play Original Sin 2. Just not feeling like it. It looks so linear and I don't really like the way the encounters looked.

Momock

Augur
My best RPG this year was Trails of Cold Steel (the first one), but it isn't in the list.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
dare I say it, depth of its writing

What depth? It is the most obvious story in modern times. Humans are dead and buggy software throw a little bit of Jap's weirdness and finis. There is not an ounce of originality in the whole game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Jasede I just went back into the hell-pit (after exiting the Resistance Town and heading towards the broken highways with the massive, beautiful green trees having uprooted them; past all that and onwards and you reach a Broken Radio Tower to the west, which I had not discovered yet, and you come to the lip of a canyon):

So, my first foray into the canyon depths was sheer accident: I saw the precipice and wanted to see what would happen If I jumped the fuck down... to my surprise a gang of high level enemies were waiting to gang-rape me, however before dying (first time I used the self-destruct function too, though it didn't save me) I managed to randomly find a weapon, a "Bronze Dagger".

Even tho that hell-pit is way over my level I spent some time grindings mats and upgrading weapons and finally managed to plunge down into the canyon, get the Dagger and run the gauntlet towards a semi-hidden elevator door at the bottom.

Now I have two heavy swords (Beastblade and the Virtuous one), and two light swords (the Default sword and the new Dagger).

It's hella fun using fists + dagger, pulling off a just-frame dodge-teleport, switch weapons and land on them with my other weapon set, which is the 2 heavy swords together.

BTW, also managed to ride one of the wild beasts hehe

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Expeditions, Alvora tactics, Starcrawlers, Monster's den, even Willy-Nilly Knight

-Expeditions is on my list, haven't tried it yet
-Didn't like alvora's predecessor
-Got bored with Starcrawlers, forgot it existed
-Never heard of the last two

I'm pretty lukewarm on all the indie trash and shovelware in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom