Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession/Stone Prophet thread

Dorateen

Arcane
That's true. But I've wondered how much that makes a difference if a player is running around with suped-up heroes. They could still wade through encounters I would think.

Sinatar

Arbiter
It makes POR much much harder. You go from fighting like 4 or 5 kobolds to fighting like 20 at a time, having an extra +1 thaco or whatever isn't going to cover that difference.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You get more experience points though. But the characters are all capped to a certain level, that they can reach. You will get there faster however.

EDIT: Though, if I am remembering correctly, in the old POR you can actually miss out on leveling a character, if they get too much experience. There was something wacky about that in the first gold box game.

Sinatar

Arbiter
You lose any experience you've earned over what you needed to level, it doesn't carry over, so yea you need to book it to the trainers as soon as you get enough XP.

Mightmagic

Augur
Ravenloft 1 doesn't offer the best gameplay but atmosphere and ost are wonderful. I love this game.
Dreamforge avery good developper (sanitarium, Ravenloft).
If only a ravenloft1 remaster with HD graphics could be released.

RPK

Scholar
yeah, a ravenloft remaster/remake would be cool.

the ravenloft expansion for ddo is turnout out to be pretty good.

Leitz

Learned
TL;DR: USE THE 1.2A version (GOG). Did anyone have any trouble with bugs?

Seems like my Strahd's Possession run ended early with the game being in a questionable state: I got to some of the green doors in the westforest dungeon when the game crashed everytime with "CINE13.ANM..CANNOT FIND". Reinstalling didn't help, so I read about the glitches and found out that I was playing the wrong version -1.2-, the GOG version seems to be an updated version called 1.2a. which fixes particular problem.

I bought the GOG version and started it with my old save and tada I could advance some more, until I came to the "real" portal in this dungeon. There my game crashed everytime AGAIN. Maybe my save is now bugged forever. So I said fuck it and went outside with the church key. As soon as I went back to Barovia the game crashed again, I guess the usual message of Irmgarde not coming with me made the game now crash.

I gave it another try and got Irmgarde killed; now I could proceed to Barovia...but as soon as I tried to leave the dead body of Irmgarde behind and switch her place with the hot Elven mage...I could turn around once more and the game crashed......yikes.

Now I'm at the church with the bug filled dead body of Irmgarde on my ass like a curse, and I wonder when she will finally make the game unplayable for me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I mentioned it somewhere earlier in the thread to make sure people are using the 1.2A version of Ravenloft, the original GOG release did not have it, but it was swiftly updated.

The same cannot be said about Stone Prophet, which seems to have a problem running the cinematics at the end point of the game.

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
qEIGaEG.jpg

dLTc4UD.jpg

cTcTcVq.jpg

Theldaran

Liturgist
Playing these games like 25 years later and expecting them to hold up is a bit of a stretch...

In 1996 though, they were good pre-BG stuff. Not part of the renaissance, but definitely among the best of that time.

RPK

Scholar
Playing these games like 25 years later and expecting them to hold up is a bit of a stretch...

In 1996 though, they were good pre-BG stuff. Not part of the renaissance, but definitely among the best of that time.

for their day, yep, very good

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bumping this thread to inform people that:

1: It exists. :oops:

2: I found an answer to why Stone Prophet börks the endgame cinematics (check the FAQ on the first page).

May this be of no use.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Is this better than wizardry 6?
Is it GUD?
Just bought it on gog along with dark sun.
I have dark sun, this, realms of arkana, wizardry, might and magic. Which is better to play?

Last edited by a moderator:

PrettyDeadman

I have to say, I find it extremely unlikely that such oldschool and prestigious game as Ravenloft series might ve aged poorly or be no good.

Sinatar

Arbiter
The first one is pretty shitty. All the dungeons have the necessary keys and paths behind illusionary walls and there is no way to detect them so you'll spend hours face rubbing all the walls in the game (or play with a guide). Also 95% of the enemies in the game level drain and there is no restoration spell nor any NPC priests you can use to cure it, so you'll be relying on negative plane protection and a lot of save scumming. On the plus side these dumbfuck developers interpreted "Turn Undead" literally, so when you use it undead monsters literally stand in place and spin in a circle. Pretty funny.

The second one fixes all those problems and is much better.

PrettyDeadman

What if you have dwarven cleric to spam turn unded and find illusory walls and elven mage to find hidden doors? Does it solve that problem?
Also, is multiclassing your cleric and wizard with warrior better than singleclassing?

RPK

Scholar
if you're close enough to the wall, an elf or dwarf does say "this wall seems odd" some times, but it's still annoying.

I multiclassed my fighter/wizard but kept my cleric pure class to get neg plane protection sooner (and more of them) for those PITA level drains.

PrettyDeadman

Wolves & goblins are kicking my ass. For some reason they all go for the same char.
For some reason i stopped being able to use heal potions. I managed to do it once by putting potion in hand and then using it. But now it doesnt work.
Is there any penalties for putting 2 weapons in hands? It seems to be possible to put 2handed sword in 1 hand then another sword in other hand.
Enemies circling around u all the time is mighty annoying.

JDR13

Arcane
I tried playing Strahnd's Possesion a few years ago but didn't last long. The respawning enemies killed it for me.

I'd love to see a modern D&D game in that setting though.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I tried playing Strahnd's Possesion a few years ago but didn't last long. The respawning enemies killed it for me.

I'd love to see a modern D&D game in that setting though.

I played through 'Strahd's Possession' twice, at least. Love it. I don't think any other crpg has done the gothic horror setting better. The only downside, imo, is the lack of Restoration scrolls. With so many undead, you are going to get level drained. A lot. Outside of Negative Plane Protection spells, and savescumming, you're kind of boned. That said, I did beat it twice, and I'm a bit of a dope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom