Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SaGa Series Discussion

Jinn

Arcane
So getting it for Vita might be preferable if no patches arrive?

It depends. The port isn't that bad except for the UI elements that are going to be present in the Vita version anyways. At least with the PC version there may be an opportunity to mod such things out in the future. I myself am happy to have supported a game such as this coming to PC, but do think it was a lazy and thoughtless port job in the end.

I played it a little past the goblins place.

You'll want to play further before proclaiming this is "a little too basic" as far as saga games go. Don't let the fact that you don't have several different characters to pick from in the beginning trick you into thinking this is a simple SaGa game. Game is gud.

I wanted to add one more thing about the translation as it was mentioned earlier in the thread: it's not that bad, and actually pretty good in some parts. I've seen much worse "professional" localizations in the past.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Just wanted to share some of the beautiful original artwork by Tomomi Kobayashi.

Leon
cTsBucr.png

Gerard
jvJDmph.jpg

Final Male Emperor
gpMxz3v.jpg

Bear
e0hppod.png

Orion
zomlIiP.jpg

And a few more.
Monk
JCCOgWe.jpg

Jubei
2IGSInO.jpg

Cat
hBvEe1k.jpg

Hiraga
nkNH4aX.png

Coppellia
otX5e4X.png

Shigen
e8ReE91.jpg

Free Mage
hpLFuSn.jpg

Iris
YGivxvT.jpg

Eirik
dGDPwUN.jpg

Desert Guard
M9lzqvj.jpg

Have always really loved this style, along with Yoshitaka Amano's. I want to make an avatar collection of some of these for the codex, but it's hard to tell if they would even get added.

Last edited:
Rather surprised but very glad this is available for official purchase on our end of the pond on these systems. Here's to hoping for good support and further releases!

newtmonkey

Arcane
I bought this thinking I could get over the port issues, but I simply couldn't and refunded it. Will repurchase if they ever update it (even if just to get rid of the constant touchscreen controls on screen).
(I was also triggered by inconsistent sprite, menu, and background resolution, but was willing to overlook it in this case).

Hopefully they do the right thing and put a little more effort into this.

Jinn

Arcane
I bought this thinking I could get over the port issues, but I simply couldn't and refunded it. Will repurchase if they ever update it (even if just to get rid of the constant touchscreen controls on screen).
(I was also triggered by inconsistent sprite, menu, and background resolution, but was willing to overlook it in this case).

Hopefully they do the right thing and put a little more effort into this.

I noticed your location is Japan. If that's true, do you happen to speak/read Japanese?

Jinn

Arcane
Jinn
I do speak/read Japanese!

Ah. You must have had the ability to play Romancing SaGa 2 on SNES then.

For me, the port issues are more of a minor annoyance in the face of such an incredibly good game. If I had played the game in it's original form, I might not be able to stomach the changes either.

Speaking of how good this game is, I'm on my forth generation of Emperor incarnate and have hit a definite difficulty spike. This game does not roll out the red carpet. I'm getting slapped around left and right. But I won't be deterred! The brawler Emperor DYNAMITE will persevere!

Party Assembled!

Alright!

Ctd9wdr.jpg

newtmonkey

Arcane
Jinn
I was willing it give it a chance to reward Square Enix for finally releasing the game in English, but knowing that I can just go play the SFC version without a problem if wanted to/got around to it (even on actual hardware on a CRT so that it would look great) made it harder to accept the quality of the port.

Dyskolos

Cipher
Jinn
I was willing it give it a chance to reward Square Enix for finally releasing the game in English, but knowing that I can just go play the SFC version without a problem if wanted to/got around to it (even on actual hardware on a CRT so that it would look great) made it harder to accept the quality of the port.

I think some fans are hoping the translation text can be extracted and plugged into the rom of the original version - at which point they're mostly justifying purchase as paying for the translation. I haven't had time to start this yet but if that becomes an option it's how I'm going - even if I'll still lack the CRT.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hey, apparently the phone UI can be disabled now. They should have put changelist or something there.

I seem to have gotten old.
Romancing RSaga 3 with its haphazard fan translation on snes had me playing for more than a dozen hours continuously on weekends when I was a kid.

Now 2nd gen pc in RSaga 2 is buttraping me.

Still; objectively RSaga 2 is a better game than Rsaga 3 and i love it.

Jinn

Arcane
Hey, apparently the phone UI can be disabled now. They should have put changelist or something there.

Hey, this a great news! However, I can't seem to find where to disable it in the options. Could you please link where you found this information?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Hey, this a great news! However, I can't seem to find where to disable it in the options. Could you please link where you found this information?

Welllll, for some reason they did rollback the update. Here is a Japanese guy's screenshot showing the option to disable the UI, and after the rollback he realized the option is gone.

Probably the patch isn't supposed to out this early. (Looking at forums, apparently the patch had introduced new crashes and freezes so maybe that's the reason of the rollback.)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Once they kill the mobile UI, I am back in, and will even buy it full-price. The very definition of incline.
I read that there's an option to disable it. I'll check later in the day.
There was a patch to disable it, but when I booted up the game, the option wasn't there. It seems that the patch caused crashes when defeating certain bosses. They have rolled back and now the option isn't there (for now).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Welllll, for some reason they did rollback the update. Here is a Japanese guy's screenshot showing the option to disable the UI, and after the rollback he realized the option is gone.

Probably the patch isn't supposed to out this early. (Looking at forums, apparently the patch had introduced new crashes and freezes so maybe that's the reason of the rollback.)

The patch with UI option is back!

Almost like timed for Christmas present. Patchnote would be appreciated though.

Jinn

Arcane
The patch with UI option is back!

Almost like timed for Christmas present. Patchnote would be appreciated though.

Yeah, thank you! I got a chance to play it a little with the UI disabled and it's glorious!

Red Rogue

Learned
I absolutely cannot believe this got a release on Xbone.
In fact, I'm going to play it on the Xbone instead just because they brought it over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom