Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Black Angel

Arcane
Bloody Mess player detected.
Not exactly what I meant, but yeah it's neat to see half of Jacoren's body blown to bits and pieces in one shot.

Fallout 1's was one of the best, but still hardly the shining part of the game for me.
I think it's still pretty much satisfying since it's such a high note for the game to end. Looking at VD's back turned to us as he walk away to the tune of Maybe, it's bittersweet and I can't ever forget it. I agree with you that the endings shouldn't really ruin your enjoyment of the game as whole (maybe if the late game sucks fucking balls, like Underrail's infamous Deep Caverns), and it should NEVER prevent you from playing the devs next games because they should learn from their past experience. But still, Fallout 1 has some of the best endings I've ever seen.

Sykar

Arcane
You're missing the point. The ending is a small part of ANY game; therefore hating the ending (because it made you feel like they were judging you?) is a dumb reason to hate the whole game.

I disagree. It would be one thing if the ending was just kind of bad or lackluster like ELEX, but SitS goes way beyond that. It invents a new kind of bad, one that passes the bad story event horizon and makes you unable to see any good in it ever again. For another example of this, see Mass Effect 3. I'd never be able to enjoy the parts of that game that are good again because I know what's waiting at the end.
You are just to obsessed with shitty details. Worst part of ME3 was all of it, the ending was just diarrhea-icing on top of a shit cake. The terrible corridor combat, senseless story, stupid NPCs and lack of almost any RPG elements from ME1 was what was bad with ME3.

/ftfy

Ninjerk

Arcane
Bloody Mess player detected.
Not exactly what I meant, but yeah it's neat to see half of Jacoren's body blown to bits and pieces in one shot.

Fallout 1's was one of the best, but still hardly the shining part of the game for me.
I think it's still pretty much satisfying since it's such a high note for the game to end. Looking at VD's back turned to us as he walk away to the tune of Maybe, it's bittersweet and I can't ever forget it. I agree with you that the endings shouldn't really ruin your enjoyment of the game as whole (maybe if the late game sucks fucking balls, like Underrail's infamous Deep Caverns), and it should NEVER prevent you from playing the devs next games because they should learn from their past experience. But still, Fallout 1 has some of the best endings I've ever seen.
Only gave despair rating for the reminiscence this triggered.

hello friend

Arcane
I didn't finish SitS because RtwP, but if nothing else, the fact that they made one of the first CRPGs with soul in a while is enough to make their next project interesting. Just looking at something like D:OS2 - it's bland. It's cardboard. Contrast that to the beautiful, beautiful graphics and atmosphere-out-the-arse of SitS. My first thought upon trying it was that I thought people had stopped making CRPGs like that.

Sure, it was a flawed attempt, but there's not a whole lot made like that anymore. Gotta respect that. Still, I'd rather be playing something with good tactical TB combat.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I didn't finish SitS because RtwP, but if nothing else, the fact that they made one of the first CRPGs with soul in a while is enough to make their next project interesting. Just looking at something like D:OS2 - it's bland. It's cardboard. Contrast that to the beautiful, beautiful graphics and atmosphere-out-the-arse of SitS. My first thought upon trying it was that I thought people had stopped making CRPGs like that.

Sure, it was a flawed attempt, but there's not a whole lot made like that anymore. Gotta respect that. Still, I'd rather be playing something with good tactical TB combat.
I didn't finish it because of low resolutions of UI (main reason) that made the game too much of a chore to play + super slow loading times + figuring out that quests don't have multiple solutions and game lacks some logical options (like finding a village full of slaves and when I kill their slavers - a lord and his men - slaves continue to act like nothing has changed)

Diggfinger

Arcane

I didn't finish it because of low resolutions of UI (main reason) that made the game too much of a chore to play + super slow loading times + figuring out that quests don't have multiple solutions and game lacks some logical options (like finding a village full of slaves and when I kill their slavers - a lord and his men - slaves continue to act like nothing has changed)

Yeah the load times were incredibly annoying! If your game looks old-school as hell, and you want to kill me every 2 minutes, then at least give me swift load times to go with it! Also thought liable magic characters were missing. Magic is super under-powered until much later on, making melee non-optional.
Loading times: They fixed it for CD though, was litteraly one of 1st things Joe mentioned in the Matt Chat interview.

Dont give the slaves such a hard time. Perhaps they were quite happy, until you came along and screwed it all up
happy-slaves.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
You can talk to them and they do complain about it. It is why I decided to try to kill the Lord and his guards.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Seems like most of the people who cried foul about me hating on the game for the ending never finished it themselves. Hmm.

I cannot remember a single game I've completed where I enjoyed the ending or thought it was well done. It's almost always anti-climatic and pales in comparison to the rest of the game, and I've never thought a game was overall bad and irredeemable because of this. This is the main point I was making. Not sure I'd call it pig-piling.

To be clear, I don't think endings are always super important or that bad endings always ruin games. Usually a bad ending isn't a big deal if the rest of the game is really good. For me though sometimes the ending to a game is so cosmically bad it reverberates backwards through the whole experience and destroys it. I can only think of 3 RPGs to earn this distinction; I'll hold off mentioning the third one for a different flame war.

circ

Arcane

I went over some of this in the SitS thread I think and people were for some reason hurt by my critique. Anyway I'm curious how you could think SitS had good looking anything. I got as far as some northern cities, and thought everything was a grey and brown blurry mess. I noticed no particular atmosphere, and the combat - which was its worst part went from frustratingly ridiculous to roll-over-everything easy after a few levels, although I lost interest in the story long before that.

Some news based on an email reply from Whalenaught, earlier this morning :
Hey Travis!

I'm so sorry about the delay, we've been swamped getting this thing ready! We're actually *finally* having our last tech presentation on Kickstarter next week, and yes, before the new year the update will be up. Aiming at the 28th. We were going to wait for the update to announce that to everyone and will be providing details then. We'll be sending on Steam Keys soon so you guys can be ready, and then will update the Steam package later this month so you can just update it and get it.

Cheers

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I'm not sure if that was a serious post or not but in any case I hope those animations don't make it to the release version. It's like everyone got the walking stupidly perk from west of loathing.

crakkie

Arcane
Shit, I still need to send them my pic. Gotta shave first since the middle guy has my current look covered.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Gotta say, i liked the pixelated faces better than the new style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom