Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: ELEX!

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Derailing towards offtopic for a quick question. What's so shit about DOS 2? I haven't played it yet; but popular belief seems to regard it as the revival of TB crpgs.
I don't hate it as others do, but the armor system badly needs to go. The same goes for the numbers bloat as you level up. This was handled a 100 times better in the first game. Unique items become worthless very quickly, or they are already worthless when you find them. Randomized loot is slighlty better than in the first game, but the numbers bloat means that you have to swap them out constantly to stay effective. It also means that it is not easy to take on enemies that are much higher level than yourself. I'm a stubborn bastard and fought higher level enemies anyway, but in general, I wouldn't advise it.

Not to mention divinity 2 should have remained as early access until 2018, it had so many freaking bugs on release ( and still has quite a lot ) that I too gave up on it and switched to elex , finished it and now I'm back to it again just to see that a lot of the old bugs are still there...

JDR13

Arcane
Not to mention divinity 2 should have remained as early access until 2018, it had so many freaking bugs on release ( and still has quite a lot ) that I too gave up on it and switched to elex , finished it and now I'm back to it again just to see that a lot of the old bugs are still there...

You meant D:OS 2 right? Divinity 2 is a different game altogether.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron

You meant D:OS 2 right? Divinity 2 is a different game altogether.

Yes divinity original sin 2.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I enjoyed Elex a lot more than DOS2. Maybe I'm getting old but that's the truth.
Also, strangely, with all the idiocy and sometimes very cheap deaths, Elex overall still annoyed me less than DOS2. There - said it.
I think Larian need to focus on adding more of the Ultima/Gothic simulation mechanics. Not having NPC schedules + Day & Night Cycle for D:OS3 would be a wasted opportunity - no excuse a third time around. Especially when Swen keeps naming Ultima 7 as core inspiration, meanwhile Gothic 2 still remains the closest to capturing U7 in spirit.

The inventory management was a nightmare in both D:OS games as well, amplified if you played solo - designing the games for co-op was a bad idea.

Deleted Member 16721

Maybe I wasn't feeling gaming much at the time but D:OS2 was boring to me. It felt like more of the same formula I've seen before. Saw the crazy inventory, kind of cramped map and then a crocodile cast a water spell on me. Uninstalled.

It also felt like every enemy was the same with every trick in the book. It was too much.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Maybe I wasn't feeling gaming much at the time but D:OS2 was boring to me. It felt like more of the same formula I've seen before. Saw the crazy inventory, kind of cramped map and then a crocodile cast a water spell on me. Uninstalled.

It also felt like every enemy was the same with every trick in the book. It was too much.

No fucking way, DOS 2 brings something new to crpgs. Risen, I mean Elex, is the same old shit. I mean I like Gothic like the other guy, but I don't know how anyone can tolerate this nonsense without yawning all night. We've played this crap before. We don't need to go over it again. If we did we'd play Gothic 2. Why bother with some shitty action game. Play Dark Souls instead. Or yeah, Darth fuckhead, play Battle Brothers instead. On Ironman this time, you little fuck. Fuck you

Stokowski

Arcane
Where are the children? Where are the babies? Why aren't people making babies to sustain the population? Where are the pregnant women? Is no-one down to fuck? Is it because there is only one face model for all the female characters and none of the men find her appealing? Have they all gone gay because she's not attractive to them? Won't gay societies die out because of a lack of babies? Even the Spartans made their gay-raised soldiers marry women and make little baby Spartans. Why is beer more valued than pussy? Why does the lonely guard in the forest beg you to help him obtain some ... female company? No, he wants beer. Another forest guard pretends the trees are his girlfriends. Are the trees more attractive than the one female face model in the game? Has the beer made everyone love trees? Is the beer making everyone gay? Has beer poisoned all the children and killed them? Does everyone speak like a robot from the accounting department because of the beer? Or is that a side-effect of blue-balls? Or being German? Usually beer consumption facilitates fucking. Is the beer not powerful enough to produce the beer-goggles effect that will allow the men to find the one female face model more attractive than the trees? Is it so powerful it instantly causes brewers droop? Is there Elex in the beer? Oh God! There's Elex in the beer! AARRRRGGGH!!

Unwanted

Biff Tannen

Unwanted
My biggest complaint is that it's too big and open, and just too much infodump and lack of reactivity. Those issues don't seem to be featured in the review but otherwise I think it is pretty accurate.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Great review about a great game! Only thing that i kind of disagree is the last bit about the size. I did find it prefect for my taste,i would liked to see some more content but i take it that they were running out of time. Also Gothic 3 does have a lot of content in it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Both Elex and G3 needed to be considerably smaller. That would mean less chomp chomp for the brain's MMO-centre, but more quality and better pacing.

Deleted Member 16721

I love the size of the world, but also the scale. It feels huge. Yet the most important thing is that it never feels procedurally generated or randomized, either. So when a world is that huge and still feels handcrafted, that is what RPG devs should be aiming for.

Elex

Arbiter
DOS 2 brings something new to crpgs

such as?
armor mechanics!
Where are the children? Where are the babies? Why aren't people making babies to sustain the population? Where are the pregnant women? Is no-one down to fuck? Is it because there is only one face model for all the female characters and none of the men find her appealing? Have they all gone gay because she's not attractive to them? Won't gay societies die out because of a lack of babies? Even the Spartans made their gay-raised soldiers marry women and make little baby Spartans. Why is beer more valued than pussy? Why does the lonely guard in the forest beg you to help him obtain some ... female company? No, he wants beer. Another forest guard pretends the trees are his girlfriends. Are the trees more attractive than the one female face model in the game? Has the beer made everyone love trees? Is the beer making everyone gay? Has beer poisoned all the children and killed them? Does everyone speak like a robot from the accounting department because of the beer? Or is that a side-effect of blue-balls? Or being German? Usually beer consumption facilitates fucking. Is the beer not powerful enough to produce the beer-goggles effect that will allow the men to find the one female face model more attractive than the trees? Is it so powerful it instantly causes brewers droop? Is there Elex in the beer? Oh God! There's Elex in the beer! AARRRRGGGH!!
what? play the game: at some point one of the two female companion will jump at jax and basically rape him (he litterally have no idea what female want).

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
DOS 2 brings something new to crpgs

such as?
armor mechanics!
what? play the game: at some point one of the two female companion will jump at jax and basically rape him (he litterally have no idea what female want).
maxresdefault.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom