Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am using Sign of the Cross on static / surprised enemies. I'm not comfortable / good enough to time it properly in the middle of intense boss fight unfortunately. Sometimes I feel I'm too old for this game, being 30 it's hard to imagine what will I say in +10 years.

In +10 years you'll use Sloth Talismans and the spear proudly like an old man eager to grasp every advantage the game throws your way! You'll probably also have to explain to your 5 year old that daddy might be hitting men in the game with a big stick, but that doesn't mean you can do it in real life or you'll get in a lot of trouble. Also- demons aren't actually real so it's ok to go upstairs to the toilet on your own.

*Cough* Not that I'd know about that, of course... :oops: *grumble* young whippersnappers!

Hyperion

Arcane
If you feel too slow with Sign of the Cross, you can use a cheap tactic to bypass part of the charge if your weapons are drawn.

Tap L2 ever so slightly to change into aiming your Ranged Weapon mode and back to regular combat mode, then hold R1 + Circle to charge SOTC and you skip part of the animation. This is almost essential for SOTC builds on higher difficulty and allows for supreme cheese with Paralytic Groundfire.

cruel

Cipher
Uch, whoever was responsible for level variety in this game should be fired. It was so nice to get something like 'Falling snow' level, everything was different. 2 missions later everything is back to ctrlC from previous designs, a little bit sad. It could be nice to get something like Catacombs, Ash Lake or even Blighttown from DS. Or Tower of Latria style.

Tried blocking after failed dodge during the duel with red armor guy in Dojo. Still OHKO, second blocked attack drains my Ki completely. Or should I do: failed doge -> block -> another dodge?

cruel

Cipher
Level around 67. Magic 30, Dex 22, Skill 22, Body 11 (yeah I know), everything else around 6-7. Kato as guardian spirit, wearing Onkyo Mage gear with sense enemies + sense treasure and stuff. 26% equip load. Don't remember toughness without checking, probably low.

Suicidal

Arcane
-20% off right now. Should I buy it now or try my luck for a better discount by waiting for the Christmas sale? Hmmm

Jinn

Arcane
-20% off right now. Should I buy it now or try my luck for a better discount by waiting for the Christmas sale? Hmmm

Get it now. Seems very unlikely it would go any lower for the Christmas sale. The game really is excellent in many ways. I haven't regretted the purchase once.

Hyperion

Arcane
I got the armor text, not the sword. It's relatively easy to do since there's a shrine right before Toyotomi. Mid-heaven's Light and the pertaining Dual Sword (didn't get this one yet, but all sources say it's the same as the armor) are from the Main Mission fight where you 1 v 1 him. Child of the Sun is from the challenge mission.

Some things the DS games do better:
- Diabloish loot and its grind, I'd rather only find one copy of each piece of equipment and upgrade it as I see fit instead(and be able to just about max it out in one playthrough).
- Disconnected maps remove any sense of exploration to the gameworld.
- Lack of invasions, don't see much replay value without them.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some things the DS games do better:
- Diabloish loot and its grind, I'd rather only find one copy of each piece of equipment and upgrade it as I see fit instead(and be able to just about max it out in one playthrough).
- Disconnected maps remove any sense of exploration to the gameworld.
- Lack of invasions, don't see much replay value without them.

Yeah. Also - and it's just a personal preference - the game is too twitchy for me. Some of the DS3 bosses (Nameless, Frida, Gael) already exceeded my twitch ability and I couldn't beat them without summons. Here it seems every single boss is twice as fast as Gael and three times as dangerous. Some boss fights literally seemed like fighting an endlessly bouncing bullet inside a steel water tank. Sweet baby jesus. Not my cup of tea at all.

For me the perfect boss is something like Fume or Sinh. Not so embarrassingly slow that even my grandma makes them her bitch but not so fast that you need to be a 17 year old Korean kid with cat reflexes and hopped up on speed to solo them.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In fact, the bosses of Nioh are a lot less twitchy (and a lot less bullshit) than Gael, Friede and the Nameless King

Certainly didn't seem from the videos I've seen. It's true the PC is fast too but that just seems to add to the general frenetic pace of the game.

Btw can you summon human sunbros to help you? I don't think I have seen any boss coop in the videos I've watched.

^You only need to first finish a mission if you want to be summoned for it as a regular DS-like visitor(.

With the companion mode neither of you needs to have finished or played through a mission in order to coop through it, in fact that's kind of the point since you both will get the same mission completed progress together(if you succeed).

Can't say I don't enjoy the fast pace, guard impacting okatsu&hanzo or dodge-dancing with Maria was fun and the game runs at a framerate suited to how fast you need to react. Which is more than I can say for Bloodborne's erratic 30fps and controller input lag matched with gameplay about as twitchy as nioh's.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Played a few hours. Game is definitely fun. A little bit of Dark Souls, a little bit of Diablo. Spent most of the time running around the first level and it's pretty huge with lots of secret paths and shit to collect. I like how lethal the combat is - you can get comboed to death by a random peasant dirt farmer with a stick if you dodge the wrong way or run out of stamina at the wrong time by button mashing like a retard. Fighting stronger human opponents and those gravestone summons feels more like playing Bushido Blade (old PS1 samurai fighting game where you can kill/die in one hit) than just grinding trash mobs, at least while I'm still new to the game.

Loot system is a bit annoying - not because it's randomized (I enjoy the random Diablo-style systems if they're done well), but because I have no idea what all of the gear stats and modifiers do and they sound so weird like +7% break, +11.9% ki guard on attack, like what the fuck does any of that shit mean? Guess I'll have to google it eventually.

Mixed feelings about the PC port. This was the only game I've played in years that straight up refused to work and kept crashing until I fucked around with some fixes and settings but now it runs pretty much perfectly - no lag, no stutters, smooth FPS, alt tabs perfectly. Keyboard and mouse controls are fine except for two things - can't map side mouse buttons, so I have to use an external program for that, and all tooltips and tutorials display gamepad buttons rather than keys so that can be confusing. Still, after some remapping (the default controls are dogshit) it's now pretty comfortable for me to play on KBM.

Suicidal

Arcane
I have no idea what all of the gear stats and modifiers do

There is an in-game help button that explians all of them but shitty UI makes it hard to see/use.
Thanks consoles!

Yeah I found that button so I like the system better now that I can understand what everything does and what I actually want. I also like that you can modify and upgrade your gear. In a system like this I like being able to control what gear bonuses I get at least to some extent. It was really irritating to constantly find heavy plate armor with intelligence and magic skills on it in Divinity OS 2.

Overall, so far the game is great and is exceeding my expectations. I didn't think that a combat system that shares so many similarities with Dark Souls could be this fun.

At the moment my main gameplay related complaint is that the game seems very easy to break. In one of the optional missions I came across an entire graveyard of dead players so I decided to duel some of the ghosts... and ended up with an entire set of purple items with powerful bonuses and a purple sword that did double the damage of my weapon and also applied debuffs on hit. Enemies started to die so quickly I decided to get rid of it to keep things fair.

Also while the bosses are fun and fairly challenging, they become too easy if you use your spirit weapon because it lets you eat 30-50% of their health bar at no risk, so I have to challenge myself more and abstain from using it on boss fights.

I also heard that some of the magic is broken and trivializes most bosses.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Yeah I found that button so I like the system better now that I can understand what everything does and what I actually want

IIRC some of them are mistranslated so be careful. The most misleading of them is Received Firearms Damage, at 100% this one ignores most if not ALL PROJECTILES attacks even magic/arrows/sword waves/web slings/etc. even some elemental attacks.

At the moment my main gameplay related complaint is that the game seems very easy to break. In one of the optional missions I came across an entire graveyard of dead players so I decided to duel some of the ghosts... and ended up with an entire set of purple items with powerful bonuses and a purple sword that did double the damage of my weapon and also applied debuffs on hit. Enemies started to die so quickly I decided to get rid of it to keep things fair.

That is one of the main ways to farm for items early on. Later in the game, especially in near the end of NG, farming revenants to keep up is one of the quickest ways especially if you don't like farming 50++ hours just for a purple set and 20++ more to get the amrita and materials required for soul matching them wherein the game can be done within 45 including DLC by just going through revenants and skipping farming entirely. It'll expect you to keep up with equipment though less so in NG.

they become too easy if you use your spirit weapon because it lets you eat 30-50% of their health bar at no risk

It'll stay like that until the DLC somewhat because enemies/bosses are now going to hit you so hard and really fast that LW is pretty risky if used without care as it could save you. 1 shots are going to be very common from the DLC on out when wearing light armor or set mixes except for Tatenashi mix ones.

I also heard that some of the magic is broken and trivializes most bosses.

Only true for NG which IMHO is the tutorial for the game. The 3 DLCs is where Team Ninja absolutely let loose with their own version of an unfair game.

DLC 1, 2 and 3 (except for the final boss of 3 somewhat) all have high resistances to sloth and some of them become stronger when weakened. Defense down lasts for around 3-4 seconds without or 6 -7 with proper magic investment. They can even kill you through Quick Change scrolls. Living Weapon human bosses are abundant and therefore cannot be parried.

NG is the perfect time to get used to bosses and by just Slothing them, you automatically win and learn little to nothing. As by NG+'s they get new moves, get new buffs, get modifiers (speed+, attack+, defense+ minushige/masamune omg), and can even come with a partner boss because why not.

jungl

Augur
I feel like nioh easier game then souls game till you get to post game. Post game is more bullshit and hard then anything I seen souls games. Beat the final boss on my first try then entered post game feel like im playing cuphead how many times I die lol. Game mechanics are thrown out the window. You encounter boss types like tengu that attack faster then normal and bosses come in groups. Say goodbye to pulling off your combo moves unless there 1 enemy left. your stats and enemies defense here start to scale stupid here so say if you have 5 dex and used tonfas and a variety of different weapons the entire game. Well good fucking luck with that you only good to be able to do damage with whatever weapon you been putting stat points towards and you really need to do damage cause enemies keep spawning in some missions to the point if you dont kill fast enough they overwhelm you.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I hardly found the DLCs unfair. In fact, they have some of the best fights in the whole game. Except the blonde bitch. That was really lame.

I agree that the DLC have the some of the best fights, but when compared to pre-DLC, they pale in comparison and are pretty much "unfair" especially compared to the boss in Queen's Eyes. Though it's still all based on personal experience, I found Mariah easy while Sanada to be pretty bull. Masamune is a test of patience pre-WotW then next difficulty they bring you a fully buffed masamune with unlimited Ki. :negative:

Though in Way of the Wise and more so in Way of the Nioh, they truly are unfair. Sanada +1 buffed with Attack+, Speed+, Endurance+, Weaken resist is pretty bull and that ALL of them start in Living Weapon + a shitton of Ki + Ki Damage resist making Ki damage builds especially Axes become pretty useless.

Suicidal

Arcane
NG is the perfect time to get used to bosses and by just Slothing them, you automatically win and learn little to nothing. As by NG+'s they get new moves, get new buffs, get modifiers (speed+, attack+, defense+ minushige/masamune omg), and can even come with a partner boss because why not.

So higher difficulties here do more than just increase the enemies' stats? That's interesting, gonna have to try that. And that's pretty much how I'm currently playing - not using any magic, other players' weapons and etc. Not because I'm training for NG+ (which I wasn't even planning to play until now) but because the game is much more fun this way.

I feel like nioh easier game then souls game till you get to post game. Post game is more bullshit and hard then anything I seen souls games.

For me it kinda feels the same, difficulty wise. In Nioh it's a lot easier to die than in DS because of how much damage everything does and how fast the enemies are, but DS punishes mistakes harder because respawn points are a lot more spread out and you need to run around more. Also, DS games are very easily broken as well. For example using ranged weapons in DS1 is basically cheating because most mobs will either get stuck or fall down a cliff trying to reach you or won't even react to being shot at all

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
60 hours in. Still haven't finished NG because I've been fucking around too much. Still haven't fully figured out crafting. Still not anywhere near sick of the game.

Random question: what's the best way to get honor? I wouldn't care as it doesn't seem to have much practical use, but you need honor to get several of the achievements. Co-op is fun, but you typically don't get more than 1600 or so honor per round. Farming revenants works too, but seems self-limiting as the amount of honor you get decreases based on the level of the revenant (which doesn't help me much as I've fucked around too much, so I'm way over leveled right now in the game...so I tend not to get more than 30-40 honor per revenant).

Uch, whoever was responsible for level variety in this game should be fired. It was so nice to get something like 'Falling snow' level, everything was different. 2 missions later everything is back to ctrlC from previous designs, a little bit sad. It could be nice to get something like Catacombs, Ash Lake or even Blighttown from DS. Or Tower of Latria style.

This, in my opinion, is the game's biggest flaw. Even when levels are new (it's really only the sub-missions that re-use stuff), they tend to all have the same Feudal Japanese village look to them. So it often seems like the same assets in a different arrangement. I love this game, but it really could benefit from Dark Soul's moments of artistic awe and beauty.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
My main issue with the environments is that they are always too dark. Whenever you're outside it's either nighttime or raining so you barely see anything. Whenever you're inside some place it's gonna be a dimly lit building or a mine or a cave. I wish there were more levels like the dojo that's bright and sunny and you can see everything clearly.

As for environment variety, well it's feudal Japan and they were going with a pseudo-realistic style (all the demons and magical spirit animals notwithstanding), so naturally you're gonna be seeing mostly feudal japan architecture, so I can't really complain here.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
and the ones with the clan color opposite to yours give double.

Had no idea about this, thanks.

Still haven't fully figured out crafting.
What bugs you? Maybe I can explain it.

Questions:

1. Is the only way to change the status effects of armor you craft to reforge it until you get something you want? Is there anyway to increase the chances of getting better reforges?
2. I know you can transfer status effects on weapons if you max out their favor, but can you transfer status effects on armor?
3. What does increasing the upper and lower limits in forging with favor points at the blacksmith do? I have no idea what that even means.
4. And while we are on the topic, what should you spend favor points on at the Blacksmith? I maxed out the increased sell price of items, then I started putting stuff in reduced cost of soul forging, but I really don't know what's good.

Emmanuel2

Savant
So higher difficulties here do more than just increase the enemies' stats? That's interesting, gonna have to try that. And that's pretty much how I'm currently playing - not using any magic, other players' weapons and etc. Not because I'm training for NG+ (which I wasn't even planning to play until now) but because the game is much more fun this way.

If it helps, NG+'s aren't really actual whole playthroughs. A whole difficulty can last about 4-6 hours before going to the next if you are capable.

They're like another difficulty mode but now you get to select which mission you'd want to complete rather through a linear story fashion. The first 3 regions are unlocked and after completing a set amount of missions, you unlock the 4th, 5th and so on. It's pretty quick and is a structure I highly prefer rather than going through the whole thing again. The only thing that will go against you is gear, but that's what revenants are for until you unlock ethereal (orange) gear.

Missions weigh similarly in terms of difficulty progression, so you could only do the quickest (some of the quick ones feature double bosses, arena with 3 tengus, etc.) then unlock the last mission required to advance the difficulty mode or do the easier slightly longer ones (Hino Enma, or the Boat Demon) if you want.

And also, for anyone else playing and want to farm some quick $$$: unlock the Dojo mission for Spear and Sword, finish those and a duo boss fight featuring both of the masters will unlock, finish that and after unlocking queen's eyes you'll also unlock Marobashi, a boss rush with only humans and no LW.

Hyperion

Arcane
is this game worth removing ?
I'm shocked you hate this game. Perhaps you don't like procedural loot in the vein of Diablo and its clones (tempering counteracts this a little bit), but its character building is far superior to that of Dark Souls, with more viable playstyles than just roll until the enemy stops attacking and counter during the ever shrinking grace period of latter entries to the series. Every weapon is completely distinct from one another, while focusing on different skills within a single weapon moveset further differentiates itself. With proper reflexes and twitch skills, the game can be played more akin to a full blown action game than a Souls clone, or you can tank through the vast majority of enemy hits in Heavy Armor, while healing yourself with every attack. Hell, if you were a huge whirlwind Barbarian fan from Diablo II, you can make William into a clone of that, right down to looking similar to a barb in full blown Immortal King's set (minus helmet wings). Shit, you can make a fucking build that revolves around throwing rocks at enemies for massive damage. Because Team Ninja has a sense of humor, and why the fuck not.

You have stat customization, gear customization, weapon customization, guardian spirit customizaton, ninjutsu and magic, a Clan you can join for further bonuses, further specialized stat customization (maxing out at 200 instead of 99) on higher difficulties, a dungeon with nearly infinitely increasing difficulty, and bunches of challenge missions for you to use as dick measuring for your build. The game gives you more character customization than 90% of games actually considered RPG's yet you claim it's not one, because...why? You move too fast?

Also: Waifus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom