Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
No arms looks better and would be easier to animate future attack styles... but you are going to get thousands of people asking where the arms are

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
My game's fairies are no longer naked.

Well, they could be naked if you took their clothes off, but now they have clothes so they don't have to be naked.

HimekoSutoriFairy4x.gif

Edit: OK, three declines so far. Do we not like the sprite, the animation, or the fact that the fairies won't be naked?

Edit 2: Yeah, or you could just keep giving me declines without telling me how to improve. Whatever.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My game's fairies are no longer naked.

Well, they could be naked if you took their clothes off, but now they have clothes so they don't have to be naked.

HimekoSutoriFairy4x.gif

Edit: OK, three declines so far. Do we not like the sprite, the animation, or the fact that the fairies won't be naked?

Edit 2: Yeah, or you could just keep giving me declines without telling me how to improve. Whatever.

videogames (and especially rpgs) primarily appeal to men who've never touched a woman, exposed female genitals are always a plus

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
finally have a bit of time so started working on some more abandonware. this time it's a sidescroller rpg/metroidvania game.

On the graphics side I'm looking at 32x32 tiles. i hope characters will have quite a bit of customization looks wise. 7 races (4 are elves :smug:) + hairstyles + armor + capes/back items, weapons, shields, quivers, etc. Would also like to have weapons visible on your back/scabbard when not drawn, and secondary sets as well. it's a lot of shit to cram into a 32x32 tile

I'll probably gate progress to the acquisition of new acrobatic abilities (IE: double jump, triple jump, maybe wall running and/or hookshots), although progress is not linear and you can tackle areas in different orders. I'd like to differentiate the class types by different locomotion methods, which would be easier for mages (levitation, teleportation, conjuration) vs rogues (multiple jumps, wall running, grappling hooks) but I'm not sure how to do something unique for the tanky warrior classes. I guess I could have them move blocks around to reach new places but it's pretty limited and i don't want to put movable blocks everywhere. If anyone has some good ideas they don't mind me stealing I'm looking for suggestions.
i already built the "engine" for a sidescroller in gamemaker (which was the most annoying part), although it's still pretty basic. you can jump (including air jumps) and run off platforms. shouldn't be too hard to add sliding on walls or wall jumps. dashing up walls and hook/grappling shot would be a bit more challenging. mage spells (levitation, teleport, passwall) would be pretty easy to implement as well.

may or may not add autistic mining mechanics. maybe make that the warrior mechanic, just dig your way through walls

levgre

Novice
crappy gif of my still crappy prototype for turn based RPG, but getting closer to having battles fully working so I can focus more on adding content

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Finished one of the ingame areas, which is a small bar where you can get some information about sidequests. Also made sure to check if you've completed stuff before getting information about it and modified the rewards to gib some better gear to those who did stuff early. The difference isn't that huge, but can be a pleasant bonus in the long run.

Also, again, cutting levels into chunks was a good idea considering the tech limitations I've got. Finishing a chunk in one day with very short vis calculations and other stuff feels rewarding as fuck.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Minidump showing off a few new items I made this month.

Kabuto helmet, plus katana, wakizashi, and naginata:
HS_YamataiScreenshot.jpg

Jundi helmet, plus morning star, mailsplitter axe, and tower shield:
HS_ShammarScreenshot.jpg

And fairies with clothes, staffs, and wands:
HS_FairiesScreenshot.jpg

Edit: Just realized those helmets didn't turn off the hair sprite like they're supposed to. I fixed that. Crowns leave the hair alone. Helmets are supposed to turn off the hair layer.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Minidump showing off a few new items I made this month.

Kabuto helmet, plus katana, wakizashi, and naginata:
HS_YamataiScreenshot.jpg

Jundi helmet, plus morning star, mailsplitter axe, and tower shield:
HS_ShammarScreenshot.jpg

And fairies with clothes, staffs, and wands:
HS_FairiesScreenshot.jpg
[urge to purchase intensifies]

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Tavernking no, I haven't planned any romance. I wanted to, but then I thought about the interpersonal relationships I want the story to follow, and adding a romance would be too much. It's not a bad idea, but just not central to the story I want to tell, and for now I need to focus on only the most critical plot elements. Plot-wise, the purpose of a romance is often the B-plot that eventually intersects the A-plot after everything has gone wrong, and then the lovers reconcile and conquer the A-plot problem together. Or romances are often depicted as the woman being a prize for the man to win, which wouldn't work very well here because the protagonists are female. (And I'm trying to avoid such trite conventions anyway.) And if a romance is out of scope, a visual-novel-like choice of romances is definitely way out of scope. Visual-novel-like nudity is doable, in low-res at least. If that's what you're looking for (and I'm not judging), there's nothing stopping you from stripping your troops naked and staring at their 16-pixel breasts.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Sat down yesterday and started putting together a better editor to make at least two-dimensional 'textures' less of a pain in the ass to put together (FYI every 'texture' before that had the coordinates set by hand, which was a pain in the ass for bigger stuff, especially if you wanted to change something). There's still a bunch of things left to be done (batching, quality-of-life functions, etc), but it's already taking me less than a minute to do something that required at least several minutes of writing the coords, tweaking, then combining stuff to create the desired effect.

Incidentally, I expanded the way stuff is drawn in case I'll want to make another project with vector-based graphics, and yes, I'll want to do it since I have a top-down RPG in mind for the next project, which will require either pixel art or this approach. I'd rather have simple vector graphics that can be scaled to any resolution without pixellation/other issues.
3eVNotO.jpg

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've had a few days off due to power-related issues and played Wizardry non-stop until the battery ran out.
Now I'm genuinely curious on how to implement a similar look from the ground up. After some fucking around for an hour or so I think I'm onto something.

Jn755MP.png

If you're using Unity you're over thinking the whole thing. Just use planes and set the engine to wireframe mode.

Zep--
In this case I'm using C + SDL. Besides, I've already got a line renderer in Unity so building something like this would be a piece of cake, except I want to dig deeper.

Are you using OpenGL's GL_LINE_STRIP primitive? You may want to make a geometry shader that transforms lines into actual quads for more flexibility, because aside from the bare bones most video drivers give little thought to line primitives. I remember having to make one myself because glLineWidth was buggy and inconsistent between different video cards, according to the spec "Only width 1 is guaranteed to be supported; others depend on the implementation." (thanks Khronos!)

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
Are you using OpenGL's GL_LINE_STRIP primitive? You may want to make a geometry shader that transforms lines into actual quads for more flexibility, because aside from the bare bones most video drivers give little thought to line primitives. I remember having to make one myself because glLineWidth was buggy and inconsistent between different video cards, according to the spec "Only width 1 is guaranteed to be supported; others depend on the implementation." (thanks Khronos!)

I personally was never able to have a thicker than width = 1 line. I ended making a function that constructs a trapezoid instead using a simple shader instead.
I worked with fixed pipeline sometime and nowadays i considered it total shit because you get vendor problems. Shaders FTW.
I don't know what SDL offers; However, i find it a complete engine but i do not know if it still uses fixed pipeline under its tons of C functions.
Frankly, i would prefer to use transparent textured quads with white borders in them rather any kind of lines.
And i read a lot that rendering lines in modern OpenGL and modern cards are pretty shitty because noone optimizes them.
(i guess optimization is not needed here :) )

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
anyone have a suggestion for a decent 2d animator? Prefer something relatively easy to use with skeletal animation i can attach parts to and export as a sprite sheet. doesn't have to be free but I don't wanna pay a hundred bucks for it either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom