Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PS3 emulation isn't GPU heavy to begin with.

The emulator runs fairly decently, but I find the emulator to be quite unstable still.
Can be anywhere from as little as 20 seconds to longer sessions of just over an hour, but eventually one or more of the threads will crash,
This will either slow it down tremendously, or take the entire game down with it.
i've also had it "halt" a bunch - you can generally just resume the emulation, but it will usually cause underruns on the audio like it's going out of style (heavy distortion).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

With most recent RPCS3 build finally the glitched-out / flickering textures for enemy sprites on Wizardry - Labyrinth of Lost Souls is 100% fixed. The game was playable before, but now it's 100%.

(BTW, the only reason the fps isn't 30, which is the game's maximum, is because of the recording, in case anyone was wondering if that was how that game performed on the rig I posted above; it's not, it runs at 30fps when I am not recording-- with recording on the game was running at 22-25 fps).

On that topic, btw, gotta say I had never before owned a GPU that had built-in video transcoding and shit... recording stuff now using the nvidia "codec" (??) produces perfect quality at super small sizes. I remember I used to have to record everything in HQ and then use a program to compress the video files down and it used to take ages.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Have any of you guys (or anyone reading this) tried out Persona 5 performance with the latest RPCS3 build?
I don't actually play any PS3 games on PC. I've got my hands full with PC, PS2/WII & older gen games, maybe 3 years down e road. :)
Was just following their emulator development and testing it out.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Well, I tried. There is most definitely an overall performance boost, and there is no doubt that RPCS3 emulator is well on its way but playing high graffix games on RPCS3 (Like Persona 5)--

--scratch that, it's not the actual graphics really that make P5 nigh-unplayable for mid-range machines, it's part of it but a huge piece of that puzzle is how that game's framerate/syncronization goes fucking nuts with those SPU threads and PPU whatever-the-fucks.

Anyway TL;DR version is: I used to get 9-11 FPS in P5 in the city full of NPCs, now I get 10-13 FPS. Huge increase though even if the numbers seem small. For those interested in P5 performance in recent builds this is my rigz:

Intel iCore i3 3.9GHz
NVIDIA 1050 GTX
8GB RAM of slowest, cheapest brand/type
Random mobo

Now, remember that Catherine runs perfectly on this same rig so I'm convinced the problem with P5 lies elsewhere.

Catherine and Wiz: LoLS both now perform almost perfectly. Probably better than on a real PS3, heh. Other than P5 I really can't think of any fucking PS3 game I'm even remotely interested in playing. P5 is the only one, and seems like barring a huge coding breakthrough on how the SPU/PPU emulation works its shit during game play, seems like at least 1 year or even more before we're playing P5 and similar games (as in with similar issues, such as THE LAST OF US, which is unplayable regardless of your rig).

It's looking good though, I mean CITRA made huge strides. I remember posting in this thread less than 1 year ago about how games ran like shit, and now basically any 3DS game runs amazing on CITRA and playing shit in high-resolutions is legit strats; speaking of CITRA what do I need to do to play the "New 3DS"-only Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3DS port/enchanement re-release)?

I quick Google tells me I apparently need to download a specific CITRA build for New 3DS games, like that one, but I'd rather just ask here and maybe get a link for it.

Too bad I actually owned a PS3 and played all the shit worth playing already :( :(

And thank god Ni no Kuni 2 coming for PC otherwise I'd be <pulls collar to the side while steam comes out of the ears; later he dies>.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the 3DS port features a better combat system with better UI and the oblitagory extra quests, extra loot/items, and I *think* I remember reading a new party member? that last one though could've just been me being high.

The polished combat of the 3DS port is what really draw mes as I actually began playing this game on Wii Emulator, but I quickly became disillusioned with the combat... then I regretted that decision as I read over and over that it was a game that was slow to reveal itself, and that it is worth playing.

Therefore now I want to play the improved-upon 3DS port.

I'll go google some of the tweaks/changes they made that makes it more fun to combat and stuff, gimmie a minute.

mogwaimon

Magister
Yea, I did a little bit of research some time back regarding Xenoblade Chronicles as I was looking for reasons to drop 200 bucks on a New 3DS when I had a perfectly good old one. As I recall the only major additions in the 3DS port were a music player and a theatre mode or something, there wasn't actually any additional content, IIRC.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah the 3DS port does nothing, aside from downscale graphics. You're much better off playing the game with Dolphin & HD mods. Especially since that'll give you the easiest method of playing the game, and you can even mod-in the control-prompts to suit your controller/keyboard.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
damn, man i'm sorry for posting that shit then. I had read somewhere (obv. I didn't , i just sort of thought I did read that) the 3ds port introduced a few new combat sutff...

Oh well, I'll play the Wii ver. then! Honest thanks to both of ya for helping me be clear on this then :)

At the time I did not question this being something that they did because japanese RPG studios actually do this all the damn time: the sub-par re-release/port of their big console game (RPG in this case) gets a PSP/3DS port and suddenly the graphics, sound, VA quality goes down to hand-held levels but they never fail to fucking add a bunch of new shit not in the console version.

Anyway I'll lay wii thingie

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw, goes without saying you know i'll be playing this game on wii emulator and using my arcade stick.

jungl

Augur
there texture packs also for xenoblade on the dolphin you can make the graphics look prettier. I also heard that the dolphin has no sound issues in games anymore. There is no reason at ALL to play the 3ds version over the dolphin.

Nathir

Liturgist
Anyone knows what does it mean to dump system files in Citra, how do I do it, and where do I get these files?

Thanks.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone knows what does it mean to dump system files in Citra, how do I do it, and where do I get these files?

Thanks.
There's this shady back alley. Come here for a moment, I'll show you where it is. *prepares dagger* I'm very trustworthy.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Guys. Guys.

I just tried out the RPCS3 build from DEC-21st and Persona 5 is running markedly better for me. I think this thing is playable now for people with better PCs than me, for real.

I'm uploading some footage I captured of the Joker intro, and with this DEC-21st build I'm getting 14-15 FPS as soon as you step off the subway train... which is a whopping 5-6 whole frames more per second than I've been getting since always.

It's almost playable-looking, even. Considering the shitty rig I got (iCore i3 3.9ghz, NVIDIA GeForce 1050, 8GB Value-Ram), I think those of you with better rigs can run it for real now.

I haven't googled this but there's probably a "Persona 5" build out there, like always, the builds done by "kd11". I'm gonna google a bit later see if I can find a recent "kd11 build" and see if I get a few more FPS, or whether the official branch has officially passed it by.

blackthorne-180103-02ymrb0.png

I've never actually played Blackthorne, not sure why. I love pretty much all versions of Prince of Persia and I was way into Flashback back when this was released - it's just one of those games that I passed by. I downloaded the free PC version from Blizzard, but they bundle it with a shitty Dosbox distro and I think the SNES port was made by Blizzard themselves, much like Lost Vikings, so I'm gonna play the SNES version instead.

The 32X version is interesting as it has a similar prerendered look to the sprites as Lost Vikings 2 did on the PC/PSX conversions of that game. But the Picodrive Retroarch core (that runs 32x games) has too many frames of delay (I counted 7) and that bothers me a lot.

I'm spoiled by Retroarch's input backend (I get only 3 frames of lag in most cases), plus Kega Fusion's last version is from 2010, and crashes whenever I try to run it fullscreen. edit: fixed it by disabling high DPI scaling.

Here's a screenshot of the 32X version:

blackthorne_32xrwqsm.png

Last edited:
Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder was an arcade-only game that looked really cool, but was ultimately worse than the original game. It's a little too long, stages aren't as memorable, songs aren't as good and characters are lamer. Still, a curious game with some great art. I think it's the first beat-em-up with branching paths, at least I can't think of anything earlier.

ga2-180103-223445krol2.png

ga2-180103-230833c7pg6.png

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
RPCS3 just published the November and December progress reports.

https://rpcs3.net/blog/2017/12/10/progress-report-november-2017/
They basically got a bunch of exclusives working, they talked about this in another blog post, but I guess they forgot to click publish for this one until now.

https://rpcs3.net/blog/2018/01/03/progress-report-december-2017/

EDIT:
This cult classic and in the shadow of the popular title NieR Automata saw major improvements to graphics this month thanks to a combination of different fixes by kd-11. Previously it had broken lighting, wrong colors, and sometimes missing graphics. All of this is fixed now and, at least at a glance, the game looks just fine. In fact, performance is improved as well and it is certainly possible to basically perform like a real PS3 in the range of 20 – 30 FPS at this point, given a modern CPU with AVX 2 and TSX support. Except this is only partially true. See, the above screenshots were taken on Linux, and the game indeed performs as shown there. However for the same user with the same hardware, and really everyone else too, performance is only about a third of this on Windows. This was investigated by kd-11 but no conclusions could quickly be drawn as to why this is the case. In general RPCS3 performs roughly the same on Windows and Linux, though it is known that some games can run a few percent faster on Linux due to the nature of the operating system. That there is such a massive difference in Nier is unexplainable for now though.

I wonder if someone got the windows patch for that "meltdown" bug with Intel's processors :lol:

Last edited:
Beyond Oasis, a cool Genesis/Megadrive game that most people mistakenly think is a Zelda clone, but which plays quite differently, with special moves more akin to a sidescrolling beat-em-up. Cool bosses and great graphics for the system. Also a great soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro.

beyondoasisu-180106-080stv.png

There's a Saturn sequel called Legend of Oasis, which looks awesome.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Great Deceiver

your scanline filter's settings are too dark. I been meaning to mention it from previous pics but this Oasis one stands out because the game is much brighter and colorful than how your filter is making it look.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So retroarch has finally gotten a mesen core.
So here is question? Is there any easy way to configure remapping of controllers per system with the gui?
If i have to go through every system and make a custom remap then i am sticking to stand alone emulators.

Great Deceiver

your scanline filter's settings are too dark. I been meaning to mention it from previous pics but this Oasis one stands out because the game is much brighter and colorful than how your filter is making it look.
Yeah, this particular shader (GTUv50) is a little on the dark side. It's not a simple scanline filter either, it has de-dithering functionality and I really quite like the way it looks. The gamma curve is also configurable, I'll try some brighter settings and post more captures later. I especially noticed how dark the default parameters are when playing Blackthorne - I've since upped the gamma quite a bit, but I saved that configuration as per-core, so it wasn't applied to the Genesis one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom