Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Fargo&Inxile - The positive angle

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, PoE is also a very good game. It's not the second coming that people expected(I guess?) but it's a very enjoyable high quality RTwP CRPG.
If PoE is one of the worst examples then what is Sword Coast Legends, Dungeon Siege 3, DA2 and so many more others? They don't exist in the genre?
Cmon now

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Ulfhednar if you'd played more than 1-2 hours of WL2 you'd easily understand that it's not "console bullshit". Hell , that's why it fucking failed in consoles miserably, people simply don't play games like this in consoles.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Hell , that's why it fucking failed in consoles miserably, people simply don't play games like this in consoles.

Exactly! So why compromise a game every game that your company makes with UI elements that are designed for console sensibilities? Why state that you are making a PC-platform game in your kickstarters, and then reveal 2-years into development that you are in fact making a game on consoles? Why spend the extra development time for playtesting on these different platforms if you know that they don't sell well there? Why cut stretch goals from the PC version? InXile is cancer. They deserve every bit of edge they get.

I didn't back WL2 cause it's really not my kind of game, I got a backer copy from the T:ToN KS. Of the two, WL2 was clearly the better game. InXile not only fucked up Torment, but also the possibility of there ever being a true PS:T spiritual successor. They had the money, and the fan support to make one of the best RPGs ever. They shit all over that opportunity for Torment on PS4 and XBOne. So fuck 'em.

Ulfhednar

Savant
No, PoE is also a very good game. It's not the second coming that people expected(I guess?) but it's a very enjoyable high quality RTwP CRPG.
If PoE is one of the worst examples then what is Sword Coast Legends, Dungeon Siege 3, DA2 and so many more others? They don't exist in the genre?
Cmon now
Agree.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I didn't like Torment at all (but I also didn't get very far in it) but WL2 was serviceable. Not great, but not horrific either. If it weren't for the whole fiasco with Torment development (treatment of the Codex, cut content, smug satisfaction, etc.) I assume people would continue to think of them as a slightly less capable Obsidian (which of course has its own detractors here). We'll see how BT4 and WL3 turn out.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So fuck them.

You know, honestly speaking, I don't give a rats fuck what you think of WL2 or Inxile, it doesn't move me left or right one bit. But it goes to show there are some problems with the capabilities for objective thinking when you start pointing out "bethesda's integrity" as some sort of positive agnle against WL2. And the same goes for the other comments like "Inxiles games being the worst of the genre". This place certainly isn't for cuddling developers (except for possibly MCA), nor should it be, but criticism is criticism and bullshit is bullshit.

orcinator

Liturgist
So fuck them.

You know, honestly speaking, I don't give a rats fuck what you think of WL2 or Inxile, it doesn't move me left or right one bit. But it goes to show there are some problems with the capabilities for objective thinking when you start pointing out "bethesda's integrity" as some sort of positive agnle against WL2. And the same goes for the other comments like "Inxiles games being the worst of the genre". This place certainly isn't for cuddling developers (except for possibly MCA), nor should it be, but criticism is criticism and bullshit is bullshit.

WL2 is objectively trash in almost every aspect though and the few aspects that aren't trash are at best mediocre.

Objectively speaking, defending it will not let you into Fargo's bed nor the vault where he keeps all the money he got from cutting corners.

Ulfhednar

Savant
So fuck them.

Bethesda isn't kickstarting their games or putting out videos about how great it is to not have a publisher because they want to develop great relationships with their fans. I didn't bring up FO4 - I just said that FO4 knew what it wanted to do. Mostly my complaints are directed at T:ToN, and frankly there is no way to see that game other than as a completely inferior product to the pitch they gave. For the budgets they had, InXile's games should have been much, much better. Objectively, I think they are running a scam.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Objectively, I think they are running a scam.
Eh, you're attributing to malice what is adequately explained by lack of ability. They have great ideas, they overpromise, then it's harder than they thought to realize those promises. Personally, I felt like Wasteland 2 delivered, but even if not, that doesn't make them con men. If this was about greed, they wouldn't be in game dev in the first place.

imweasel

Personally, I felt like Wasteland 2 delivered, but even if not, that doesn't make them con men. If this was about greed, they wouldn't be in game dev in the first place.
I also think that Wasteland 2 is pretty much what Inxile said it would be. It wasn't as good as it could have been and didn't reach Black Isle levels of quality, but it was still enjoyable.

No, PoE is also a very good game.
PoE is pure dog shit, just like many of the other games you mentioned. Along with Tyranny probably one of the worst RPGs I have ever played. Even some shovelware is more fun.

Anyway, most of the Codex was shitting on PoE expect for some fanboys circle jerking about it. Even now some of them throw sperging fits whenever somebody shits on Sawyer's garbage, like it is a personal insult or something.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I don't care what Codex did with PoE, it was and still is a very good game.
Along with Tyranny probably one of the worst RPGs I have ever played
Rofl. Whatever. Opinions are like assholes etc etc

imweasel

Don't feel obligated to White Knight for Sawyer. Anyway, let us just agree that Battle Bros is a fucking excellent game and end this discussion.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Eh, you're attributing to malice what is adequately explained by lack of ability. They have great ideas, they overpromise, then it's harder than they thought to realize those promises. Personally, I felt like Wasteland 2 delivered, but even if not, that doesn't make them con men. If this was about greed, they wouldn't be in game dev in the first place.

Sure, if they were just running one KS at a time... But running the WL3 KS 3 months before releasing a T:ToN that was missing something like 12 stretch goals and failing to mention that during your new crowdfunding venture is, objectively, a scam. And it is also malicious.

Aenra

I only see two positives, same two i mentioned years back:

- They started this KS craze (with all it entails, the focus on RPGs, the multiple titles, the money, the coverage)
- One way or another, they contribute to the RPG market; see: competition (directly and indirectly; Fargo may be fucking off, but we're still left with yet another RPG making studio out there)

Some of you are sticking to the surface too much, so will refrain from entering into WL2 specifics. If, with yet another game out, you still fail to see the issues, far be it from me to highlight them for you. Again.

Unwanted

Wehraboo

Unwanted
1. I don't think that's really true. They have consolzed the crap out of WL 2.

2. They are not popular enough to manage it anyway.

3. I don't think they are all bad though.

4. I don't think fargo is a bad guy, but he hired some real hacks (which is all there is to draw on in gaming today) and that is the big problem. To make a gaming company that is not decline you would have to start all over again like in the old days, hire some programmers out of college, and some lit majors who have never worked in vidya before and therefore had their brain lobotomized.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
The have made two rock solid crpgs better than most of the classics. They know what makes a good crpg. They keep making them despite being hated by fake rpg loving retards and console monkeys. They are the only big named crpg developer making TB games with great combat.

Deleted Member 16721

The have made two rock solid crpgs better than most of the classics.

And they take risks, too, in the direction of smarting up CRPGs rather than dumbing them down.

The irony is indeed thick with all the hatred from Fake RPG Lovers Anonymous. *SONS OF BITCHES idiots YES THAT TOO I WAS THINKING THAT destroy them all WELL MAYBE JUST TELL THEM THEY ARE WRONG no destroy them STOP IT I AM TALKING NOT YOU*

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't see anything smart about throwing shit ideas at a canvas and building with what sticks.

So what that their games have lots of stats, abilities, skills and stuff, if it's all meaningless and disconnected?

Deleted Member 16721

So what that their games have lots of stats, abilities, skills and stuff, if it's all meaningless and disconnected?

True. They should just streamline that shit. Make their games more like Skyrim and less like Morrowind. That is what we, the fine members of Fake RPG Lovers Anonymous, truly want.

::fffkkkggdddmmbbaassss:: Oom angrily waves a tendril which appears to have the middle portion of it sticking directly up at Haplo.

I WONDER IF ARCANUM CAME OUT TODAY WHAT SOME OF YOU WOULD SAY they'd hate on it YES THEY PROBABLY WOULD IRONIC ISN'T IT very

Last edited by a moderator:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like Morrowind atmosphere, world, quests, lore, exploration, levitation, speed modification, enchanting, travel solutions, cell size. I'm not a fan of the Elder Scrolls character development mechanics, if that's what you're asking. Or combat.

Also while I love most things about Arcanum, I really hate it's combat. Think it might have the worst combat balancing out of all the games I have played.

So yeah, your providing examples of some deeply flawed gems. Only these games actually had a lot of value, while I don't see ANY in WL2. T:ToN I admittedly haven't played much... yet.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom