Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG of the year?

Which rpg is the best this year?

• ELEX

Votes: 59 18.1%
  • Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Votes: 56 17.2%
  • Expeditions: Viking

Votes: 23 7.1%
  • Divinity:Original sin 2

Votes: 92 28.2%
  • South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Spellforce 3

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • The Surge

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Nier: Automata

Votes: 20 6.1%
  • Galaxy of Pen & Paper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pyre

• Cat Quest

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hand of Fate 2

• Battle Chasers: Nightwar

• Mages of Mystralia

• Regalia: Of Men And Monarchs

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • West of Loathing

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Vaporum

• Seven: The Days Long Gone

• Demons Age

• Hyakki Castle

• The Keep

• Willy-Nilly Knight

• Ticket to Earth

• Devoid of Shadows

• Children of Zodiarcs

• Fall of Light

• Mass Effect: Andromeda

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • QueenComrade!!!

Votes: 27 8.3%

• Total voters

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
I want to be angry that Grimoire isn't on top, but DivOS2 / ELEX / Grimoire is probably the best top three RPGOTY the Codex has had in years.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A fight between Divinity:OS 2 and ELEX?
We are trully doomed.
You are right,it should be between ELEX and Spellforce....:negative:. I will just pretend that all the people with taste decided to go with ELEX rather than Spellforce.
well actually is not that bad, but it’s not an rpg.
I strongly disagree with you mate. I have spend more time playing it as an rpg than a strategy. It is far better rpg than the DOS2 .

Deleted Member 16721

Wow, I thought Tides of Numenera came out last year. They need to update the Steam store page.

Shit, that makes it really, really tough. Well, not really. As amazing as ELEX is (best open-world RPG since Morrowind, I will fight you if you say otherwise), Tides of Numenera has the edge here. Tides is so ridiculously deep, interesting to explore with unparalleled amounts of choice & consequence (even compared to Planescape, @ me, I'll fight you again), and while ELEX also has ridiculously deep and complex C&C (especially for an open-world RPG), Tides is something the likes of which we've never seen in RPG gaming before (ELEX is too in a lot of ways, to be fair.)

So for me, it's:

1 - Torment: Tides of Numenera
2 - ELEX

No further competition. These 2 are the best by far.

Gimble

Educated
As amazing as ELEX is (best open-world RPG since Morrowind, I will fight you if you say otherwise),
Are you serious? New Vegas is better than both of these games.

On a less serious note, Morrowind and Elex are about as diffierent as can be while still being called open world RPGs. One is basically a good hiking simulator with interesting sight seeing and lore. Hiking gets you killed in Elex - all hikers are clearly extinct in that world. I suppose Morrowind beats Elex in terms of the sheer number of exploitable mechanics, and the use of levitate (or Jump+Slowfall for even faster) navigation makes jetpacks look like caveman tools.

Deleted Member 16721

As amazing as ELEX is (best open-world RPG since Morrowind, I will fight you if you say otherwise),
Are you serious? New Vegas is better than both of these games.

On a less serious note, Morrowind and Elex are about as diffierent as can be while still being called open world RPGs. One is basically a good hiking simulator with interesting sight seeing and lore. Hiking gets you killed in Elex - all hikers are clearly extinct in that world. I suppose Morrowind beats Elex in terms of the sheer number of exploitable mechanics, and the use of levitate (or Jump+Slowfall for even faster) navigation makes jetpacks look like caveman tools.

Is that you, aweigh? :D

Someone should do a video comparison side by side of a player using Levitate/Jump + Slowfall in Morrowind to using the jetpack in ELEX. Caveman tools will definitely be seen, that's for sure. :)

5 reasons I think ELEX is better than NV:

1. New Vegas is way more cramped and smaller-feeling in scope and size than ELEX.
2. ELEX has the slowest, richest progression in any open-world RPG ever.
3. The world is the most dangerous open-world in an RPG ever.
4. There are unparalled complexities going on behind the scenes in ELEX regarding choice & consequence. Most C&C with mutually exclusive, impacting consequences of any open-world RPG ever.
5. Much more interesting exploration in ELEX (5 biomes that they somehow managed to make work within the scope of the world, i.e. not cramped feeling at all. Tons of ruins and things to find, "danger areas" where you need radiation/cold/heat/poison protection to explore. While everything is hand-placed, including every. Single. Piece of loot in chests. And more.)

Just my 2. Disclaimer again: I need to play more New Vegas as I only spent 60 hours with it on launch, beat it and moved on (feeling underwhelmed after.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

1. New Vegas is way more cramped and smaller-feeling in scope and size than ELEX.
4. There are unparalled complexities going on behind the scenes in ELEX regarding choice & consequence. Most C&C with mutually exclusive, impacting consequences of any open-world RPG ever.
5. Much more interesting exploration in ELEX (5 biomes that they somehow managed to make work within the scope of the world, i.e. not cramped feeling at all. Tons of ruins and things to find, "danger areas" where you need radiation/cold/heat/poison protection to explore. While everything is hand-placed, including every. Single. Chest. And more.)

Just my 2. Disclaimer again: I need to play more New Vegas as I only spent 60 hours with it on launch, beat it and moved on (feeling underwhelmed after.)

Look, I love me some Elex, but you have got to be kidding me.

1. Pretty sure F:NV's 8.5 square kilometer map is bigger than Elex's.
2. Elex's progression is similar to every other Piranha Bytes game, and it's not nearly as rich as Gothic or Gothic 2. You run away from everything until level 8-12, then combat is very enjoyable for a while, then you become insanely overpowered and it gets boring. Your stats don't even affect anything other than gating equipment and skills (and there are a lot of junk skills). Plus, Elex potions can make progression feel cheap and unsatisfying. Have you played Gothic??
3. See again, Gothics and Risen.
4. There is much more choice and consequence in New Vegas, it's not even close. The endgame also has a lot more options, whereas Elex totally railroads you at the end. Nearly all of F:NV's C&C is mutually exclusive. They make it more transparent, granted, but there are still plenty of unintended consequences in New Vegas. I can't even believe someone would say that there's more C&C in Elex. I really think this is just recency bias and you simply don't remember New Vegas that well.

Moreover, no choices/content are affected by your stats in Elex, and not that many are affected by your skills. F:NV has tons of stuff that varies by build. It's waaaaay more reactive, too.

5. Elex certainly has more variety of landscapes, but Ignadon and Xacor suck. And as much as I like the game, it's kind of incoherent. New Vegas is all wasteland, but it's tight.

Two more points: New Vegas has much better writing/dialogue, like infinitely better. New Vegas has a better story, infinitely better. New Vegas has much better gunplay (never thought I'd say that), although melee is better in Elex until you get dramatically overpowered.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Didin't play Grimoire, didn't like Div:OS2 enough to keep playing after the first island.

Kingcomrade it is.

Deleted Member 16721

5. Much more interesting exploration in ELEX (5 biomes that they somehow managed to make work within the scope of the world, i.e. not cramped feeling at all. Tons of ruins and things to find, "danger areas" where you need radiation/cold/heat/poison protection to explore. While everything is hand-placed, including every. Single. Chest. And more.)

2. Elex's progression is similar to every other Piranha Bytes game, and it's not nearly as rich as Gothic or Gothic 2. You run away from everything until level 8-12, then combat is very enjoyable for a while, then you become insanely overpowered and it gets boring. Your stats don't even affect anything other than gating equipment and skills (and there are a lot of junk skills). Plus, Elex potions can make progression feel cheap and unsatisfying. Have you played Gothic??
4. There is much more choice and consequence in New Vegas, it's not even close. The endgame also has a lot more options, whereas Elex totally railroads you at the end. Nearly all of F:NV's C&C is mutually exclusive. They make it more transparent, granted, but there are still plenty of unintended consequences in New Vegas. I can't even believe someone would say that there's more C&C in Elex. I really think this is just recency bias and you simply don't remember New Vegas that well.

Moreover, no choices/content are affected by your stats in Elex, and not that many are affected by your skills. F:NV has tons of stuff that varies by build. It's waaaaay more reactive, too.

5. Elex certainly has more variety of landscapes, but Ignadon and Xacor suck. And as much as I like the game, it's kind of incoherent. New Vegas is all wasteland, but it's tight.

Two more points: New Vegas has much better writing/dialogue, like infinitely better. New Vegas has a better story, infinitely better. New Vegas has much better gunplay (never thought I'd say that), although melee is better in Elex until you get dramatically overpowered.

I'm not going to bother typing an essay but ELEX's world is roughly 10 times more interesting to explore than New Vegas to me. No offense, Obsidian. :) Yes, the wasteland is tight. So tight it's smothering. Cramped even. ELEX gives a HUGE sense of scale and scope, simply massive. And overall is much more interesting to explore for my tastes.

And what RPGs are you playing where Ignadon and Xacor suck? If those areas lack a bit of content they more than make up for it with sheer atmospheric exploration. Tall, looming converters that you can just make out beyond the snow squalls. Lava flows with intense heat areas that can kill you in a second. They are HUGE in that aspect.

I also like the story of ELEX a lot. It's on par with NV, IMO a bit better for my tastes. I specifically like the lore of ELEX the substance, the way the factions choose to use it is interesting and I just think it's a fresh take on sci-fi and fantasy. Magic vs. machine is done in a cool, kind of actually believable way. And in contrast of playtime I spent 60 hours with New Vegas when it came out and finished it, underwhelmed, while I'm already at 160 with ELEX and haven't beat the game yet. New Vegas had a terrible ending, too. And that area where they hit you with heat-seeking missiles constantly, ugh. I hope that is never seen in an RPG again. :)

I have no idea how much total C&C ELEX has, but there has been silly amounts of it so far in my playtime, with already 6 or 7 characters dying "that will change the course of the story." Some huge characters, some seemingly not, but nonetheless choices galore at every turn. Organic deaths can change the story, too, most of it is not even scripted so you can slaughter pretty much anyone and the story will change accordingly. I've seen some really funny attention to detail things, like actual NPCs being replaced if something happens to them, or if someone says they will send guards to an area, later on you may return and actually see the guards milling about. For their budget and manpower, this stuff was pretty impressive.

And a cool overlooked feature, sometimes even the order in which you select dialogue options can affect the outcome. Quick example, I was questioning a worker for his employer because his employer thought he was acting funny. I was asking him basic questions, and then said fuck it, let's tell him I'm working for the employer because I don't really like the employer anyway. All of these options were basic dialogue choices from the start of the convo, btw. Well, the dude got angry that I didn't tell him that from the beginning, saying I'm suspicious now. :D Now he won't talk to me, the game says "George is angry with you." (you can turn this notification on or off, btw. And some NPCs will love you, respect you, adore you, and things change accordingly.) Anyway, I actually got locked out of a quest based on those choices. Not sure if I can get it back now unless I can find some way smooth the guy over (you can make amends with NPCs in different ways.). Most RPGs would heavily script that, but this was completely organic in the dialogue options.

I also got hit with a fine later on in the game by the Berserkers. They found out I was involved in a theft, and if I wanted to join I had to pay a huge fine. And the way the factions like the Berserkers decide if you can join or not, Ragnar will actually weigh your actions. So you can actually make negative actions (which requires you to do more or more impacting positive actions), or positive actions. Once you tilt the scale enough you can join them. I thought that was cool (also in Risen, I know, but cool to see return in ELEX.)

Not to mention the factions and just overall choices, choices everywhere. But whether it's more or less than NV, I don't know, but I kno it's a lot, and certainly more than any other open-world RPG other than NV.

Finally, better gunplay? Not to me. ELEX also has excellent combat. You can use melee and ranged while jetpacking. You can fly around, fling grenades, take pop shots, land, dodge out of the way, maybe climb over a rock. It's intense and fun as hell later in the game. All ranged weapons have 3 unique types of ammo that do different things (similar to other RPGs), and your choices even of weapons/armor/items will be based on your character build, so you won't be able to use every ranged weapon in the game for a long time. Running from things for 8-12 hours is hyperbole, the game tells you to find a friend to help you survive, i.e. Duras, and you only have to avoid stronger critters (you can handle runts which litter the map.) It's like a survival game at the start, which is also more interesting to me and a unique idea that more RPGs should build on and try, it works well in ELEX.

Junk skills? Not really. Low excitement skills, sure, like typical PB games. Each skill point is worthwhile, progression takes ages (even longer than Gothic IMO) and is very strict, which IMO is a great thing. And also very impacting. One level in a skill with the right equipment can make a huge, noticeable difference. There are even survival skills that change gameplay, like being able to see enemies on the minimap or camouflage yourself so you don't attract stronger enemies as easily. ELEX potions lock you into Cold choices which changes things in the story and quests. But they are there if you want to go wild and become a synthetic murder machine devoid of emotions. :)

It's the most interesting open-world RPG I've played since Skyrim. Best open-world overall since Morrowind (despite grand differences, yeah.) It's damn good. And while I have to play New Vegas more sometime, I'd play ELEX a second time, for sure. And yes, I've played Gothic 1/2/3/Risen 1/2/3 and beat most of them (you can view my Gothic 2 Let's Play on my YT channel, and my current Gothic 3 LP is going on now.)

So I guess I did write an essay. If you read all of this, please go do something useful with your life. K ty. :)

Wow, I thought Tides of Numenera came out last year. They need to update the Steam store page.

Shit, that makes it really, really tough. Well, not really. As amazing as ELEX is (best open-world RPG since Morrowind, I will fight you if you say otherwise), Tides of Numenera has the edge here. Tides is so ridiculously deep, interesting to explore with unparalleled amounts of choice & consequence (even compared to Planescape, @ me, I'll fight you again), and while ELEX also has ridiculously deep and complex C&C (especially for an open-world RPG), Tides is something the likes of which we've never seen in RPG gaming before (ELEX is too in a lot of ways, to be fair.)

So for me, it's:

1 - Torment: Tides of Numenera
2 - ELEX

No further competition. These 2 are the best by far.
Thank you! Someone with actually good taste in games! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I'm not going to bother typing an essay but ELEX's world is roughly 10 times more interesting to explore than New Vegas to me. No offense, Obsidian. :) Yes, the wasteland is tight. So tight it's smothering. Cramped even. ELEX gives a HUGE sense of scale and scope, simply massive. And overall is much more interesting to explore for my tastes.

And what RPGs are you playing where Ignadon and Xacor suck? If those areas lack a bit of content they more than make up for it with sheer atmospheric exploration. Tall, looming converters that you can just make out beyond the snow squalls. Lava flows with intense heat areas that can kill you in a second. They are HUGE in that aspect.

I also like the story of ELEX a lot. It's on par with NV, IMO a bit better for my tastes. I specifically like the lore of ELEX the substance, the way the factions choose to use it is interesting and I just think it's a fresh take on sci-fi and fantasy. Magic vs. machine is done in a cool, kind of actually believable way. And in contrast of playtime I spent 60 hours with New Vegas when it came out and finished it, underwhelmed, while I'm already at 160 with ELEX and haven't beat the game yet. New Vegas had a terrible ending, too. And that area where they hit you with heat-seeking missiles constantly, ugh. I hope that is never seen in an RPG again. :)

I have no idea how much total C&C ELEX has, but there has been silly amounts of it so far in my playtime, with already 6 or 7 characters dying "that will change the course of the story." Some huge characters, some seemingly not, but nonetheless choices galore at every turn. Organic deaths can change the story, too, most of it is not even scripted so you can slaughter pretty much anyone and the story will change accordingly. I've seen some really funny attention to detail things, like actual NPCs being replaced if something happens to them, or if someone says they will send guards to an area, later on you may return and actually see the guards milling about. For their budget and manpower, this stuff was pretty impressive.

And a cool overlooked feature, sometimes even the order in which you select dialogue options can affect the outcome. Quick example, I was questioning a worker for his employer because his employer thought he was acting funny. I was asking him basic questions, and then said fuck it, let's tell him I'm working for the employer because I don't really like the employer anyway. All of these options were basic dialogue choices from the start of the convo, btw. Well, the dude got angry that I didn't tell him that from the beginning, saying I'm suspicious now. :D Now he won't talk to me, the game says "George is angry with you." (you can turn this notification on or off, btw. And some NPCs will love you, respect you, adore you, and things change accordingly.) Anyway, I actually got locked out of a quest based on those choices. Not sure if I can get it back now unless I can find some way smooth the guy over (you can make amends with NPCs in different ways.). Most RPGs would heavily script that, but this was completely organic in the dialogue options.

I also got hit with a fine later on in the game by the Berserkers. They found out I was involved in a theft, and if I wanted to join I had to pay a huge fine. And the way the factions like the Berserkers decide if you can join or not, Ragnar will actually weigh your actions. So you can actually make negative actions (which requires you to do more or more impacting positive actions), or positive actions. Once you tilt the scale enough you can join them. I thought that was cool (also in Risen, I know, but cool to see return in ELEX.)

Not to mention the factions and just overall choices, choices everywhere. But whether it's more or less than NV, I don't know, but I kno it's a lot, and certainly more than any other open-world RPG other than NV.

Finally, better gunplay? Not to me. ELEX also has excellent combat. You can use melee and ranged while jetpacking. You can fly around, fling grenades, take pop shots, land, dodge out of the way, maybe climb over a rock. It's intense and fun as hell later in the game. All ranged weapons have 3 unique types of ammo that do different things (similar to other RPGs), and your choices even of weapons/armor/items will be based on your character build, so you won't be able to use every ranged weapon in the game for a long time. Running from things for 8-12 hours is hyperbole, the game tells you to find a friend to help you survive, i.e. Duras, and you only have to avoid stronger critters (you can handle runts which litter the map.) It's like a survival game at the start, which is also more interesting to me and a unique idea that more RPGs should build on and try, it works well in ELEX.

Junk skills? Not really. Low excitement skills, sure, like typical PB games. Each skill point is worthwhile, progression takes ages (even longer than Gothic IMO) and is very strict, which IMO is a great thing. And also very impacting. One level in a skill with the right equipment can make a huge, noticeable difference. There are even survival skills that change gameplay, like being able to see enemies on the minimap or camouflage yourself so you don't attract stronger enemies as easily. ELEX potions lock you into Cold choices which changes things in the story and quests. But they are there if you want to go wild and become a synthetic murder machine devoid of emotions. :)

It's the most interesting open-world RPG I've played since Skyrim. Best open-world overall since Morrowind (despite grand differences, yeah.) It's damn good. And while I have to play New Vegas more sometime, I'd play ELEX a second time, for sure. And yes, I've played Gothic 1/2/3/Risen 1/2/3 and beat most of them (you can view my Gothic 2 Let's Play on my YT channel, and my current Gothic 3 LP is going on now.)

So I guess I did write an essay. If you read all of this, please go do something useful with your life. K ty.

You really need to replay New Vegas. Everything you like about Elex’s faction system it does at least as well or better (you even have that same “what have you done for me/against me” conversation with Caesar, but it’s not just him reading a list—your dialogue options matter).

Look, I liked Elex a lot, but the stuff you gush about is mostly stuff PB was already doing fifteen years ago so let’s not act like it’s unprecedented. Again, this is why I think you’re suffering from a major case of recency bias.

If the whole game was Goliet/Abessa quality then you’d have a much stronger case. Unfortunately Tavar has a lot less going on, and there’s almost nothing to do in Ignadon outside of the Hort—and even in the Hort there’s very few quests, much less reactivity, and much less interactivity. Same goes for Xacor; sure it’s pretty, so what? The main quest also gets worse and worse (and unlike New Vegas it’s pretty much the same quest regardless of which faction you pick); I almost quit when I was bouncing around between the Berserker guru dude in the swamp and his tedious objectives after doing the same with the Alb dude in the snow. And the less said about the hybrid the better.

If your benchmark is a Bethesda style hiking simulator, then sure Elex is the best thing to come out in years. If you like story, C&C, RPGs with actual RPG elements, and good writing, then New Vegas is vastly superior. I say this as someone who refused to play F:NV until last year because I thought it would be too similar to the execrable Fallout 3. I was wrong. But if Skyrim is what floats your boat then, to put it politely, I think this is just a matter of taste.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom