Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demons Age by Bigmoon Studios - turn-based RPG "highly inspired" by Chaos Chronicles

Deleted Member 16721

I have a lot of favorite aspects of this game, but one of the best was the enemy placement. I love how you enter a room that is 6 times too long length-wise, and the enemies are placed on the far end of it. Always fun to take a couple slow ass turns just for them reach you. It doesn't get much better when they do as you will just exchange awesome Standard Attacks to the death, each hit doing about 25% damage of their health bar, mingled in with some nice misses. Oh, and the engine lags an extra second or two between every move for no apparent reason, making the whole experience just exquisite, I say.

This game has an exciting new feature to reward you for vanquishing foes in combat - the fact that combat is finally over. And a new, innovative feature to skip dialogue. You can SKIP it line by line if you choose, or just say fuck it all and skip the whole thing with the SKIP ALL button. At least they are trying new things.

For anyone who played, how did you handle the wizard quest at the beginning? I skipped the first 3 lines of dialogue, listened to one line and then just SKIPPED ALL.

I heard someone say they just skipped the first line and then SKIPPED ALL. Lots of ways to approach that one.

:abyssgazer:

Good times, good times.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Or maybe they meant for every weapon to be essentially identical

To be fair, ODnD featured a weapons system that was basically this. However, it didn't have the "higher skill requirements" part, and that doesn't stop it from being a shitty decision.

mondblut

Arcane
I have a lot of favorite aspects of this game, but one of the best was the enemy placement. I love how you enter a room that is 6 times too long length-wise, and the enemies are placed on the far end of it. Always fun to take a couple slow ass turns just for them reach you. It doesn't get much better when they do as you will just exchange awesome Standard Attacks to the death, each hit doing about 25% damage of their health bar, mingled in with some nice misses. Oh, and the engine lags an extra second or two between every move for no apparent reason, making the whole experience just exquisite, I say.

This game has an exciting new feature to reward you for vanquishing foes in combat - the fact that combat is finally over.

So it's basically a spiritual sequel to POR:ROMD then?

And a new, innovative feature to skip dialogue. You can SKIP it line by line if you choose, or just say fuck it all and skip the whole thing with the SKIP ALL button. At least they are trying new things.

Come on, in 2017 people don't read dialogues, they just hammer on the first option until it becomes "fare thee well, good sire" then look for the synopsis quest markers in the journal. And I am not being ironic.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Somehow it's got a couple of positive reviews on Steam. One person says if you favor "brutal tactical rawness" over RPGs with actual options of how to play, then Demons Age is for you. And, in his opinion, it is a tactical RPG.

It's so low on actual features and options in gameplay that the question of if it can even be considered a tactical RPG is on the table. Interesting.

:positive:

Shin

Cipher
Somehow it's got a couple of positive reviews on Steam. One person says if you favor "brutal tactical rawness" over RPGs with actual options of how to play, then Demons Age is for you. And, in his opinion, it is a tactical RPG.

It's so low on actual features and options in gameplay that the question of if it can even be considered a tactical RPG is on the table. Interesting.

:positive:

It almost reeks of the question...

what defines a computer role playing game?

Iznaliu

Arbiter

That might be something to do with the fact that it's got a hexagonal grid and turn-based combat; that seems to make people think it's "tactical".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spotted on Steam:

3EjrUGf.png

:lol:

Modron

Arcane
Hobgoblin was a developer on Chaos Chronicles which was shaping up pretty nicely when a disagreement between bitcomposer the publisher and new owners of the developers lead to the game being cancelled, then fast forward a year or two later this game shows up using art assets created for Chaos Chronicles you can see some examples on the first page.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
What about the betrayel system? I have recruited a facking goblin-lover dwarf, I confess I was not giving attention and he betrayed me at the beginning of the battle. So me (a wizard) and a warrior were facing 8 goblins and the betrayer warrior.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hobgoblin was a developer on Chaos Chronicles which was shaping up pretty nicely when a disagreement between bitcomposer the publisher and new owners of the developers lead to the game being cancelled, then fast forward a year or two later this game shows up using art assets created for Chaos Chronicles you can see some examples on the first page.
Then what happened to him afterwards? Wasn't he working on Spellforce 3 at some time after that? He doesn't seem to post here anymore. :negative:

Deleted Member 16721

What about the betrayel system? I have recruited a facking goblin-lover dwarf, I confess I was not giving attention and he betrayed me at the beginning of the battle. So me (a wizard) and a warrior were facing 8 goblins and the betrayer warrior.

According to what the devs said on RPGWatch months back, this was their "big feature" that made the game "worth playing." But there are no dialogue options or anything in the game, so it essentially just turns into a betrayal where you have zero input whatsoever.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
this was their "big feature" that made the game "worth playing." But there are no dialogue options or anything in the game, so it essentially just turns into a betrayal where you have zero input whatsoever.

Given the abysmal standard that the rest of the game seems to meet, calling this their "big feature" makes sense, as it seems to be the only vaguely original thing in the game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
this was their "big feature" that made the game "worth playing." But there are no dialogue options or anything in the game, so it essentially just turns into a betrayal where you have zero input whatsoever.

Given the abysmal standard that the rest of the game seems to meet, calling this their "big feature" makes sense, as it seems to be the only vaguely original thing in the game.
And it's not like anyone would have the stomach to play through the game to check if it actually exists.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
And it's not like anyone would have the stomach to play through the game to check if it actually exists.

I played so far that I can say it exists.
I have seen horrible program bugs, goblin archer went to the end the battlefiled and my warriors could not approach it. Couldn't step to that hexa fields. It is game over for me.
Anyway this terrible 3D shit...

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ishar already had it on Amiga and Atari ST.
Some companions would just steal your gold (and assassinate another companion?).

Ishar%201%20-%20Legend%20of%20the%20Fortress_8.png

The character in the middle is a traitor

According to what the devs said on RPGWatch months back, this was their "big feature" that made the game "worth playing." But there are no dialogue options or anything in the game, so it essentially just turns into a betrayal where you have zero input whatsoever.

Not having any dialog option still gives you input:
In Ishar (which happened not to have dialog either), you could let them fight on the first line without armor, not recruit them, or assassinate/fire them later on.
The game itself was pretty, but not great (the RT combat system was really dumb), but the lack of dialog option had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Ishar already had it on Amiga an Atari ST.
Some companions would just steal your gold (and assassinate another companion?).

Ishar%201%20-%20Legend%20of%20the%20Fortress_8.png

The character in the middle is a traitor

Not having any dialog option still gives you input:
In Ishar (which happened not to have dialog either), you could let them fight on the first line without armor, not recruit them, or assassinate/fire them later on.
The game itself was pretty, but not great (the RT combat system was really dumb), but the lack of dialog option had nothing to do with it.

Right. I meant specifically dialogue input. Even though "not recruiting them" is close to the same as "not accepting a quest" being a roleplay option (which I'm not going to argue with.)

The difference here is that the Amiga ST game you linked actually looks great and like it's worth playing. :D Another one to add to the abandonware list...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom