Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkborn - action game from ex-DICE devs where you play a monster fighting against humans - CANCELED

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Snippets about this game from Private Division Game Informer article: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...es-new-publishing-label-private-division.aspx

Studio Partner: The Outsiders
Game: Project Wight [working title]

Revealed with a 2016 trailer that more than two million people have watched, the next game from the mind of David Goldfarb (Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Payday 2) flips the RPG trope on its head and places players in the role of a Grendel-like monster being hunted by humans. The debut trailer demonstrated high production values more in line with triple-A games and an intriguing Viking sandbox world. In later interviews, Goldfarb divulged that the narrative is a dynamic experience rather than a linear story.

“David writes some really good dark fiction, so I've been really excited about the world he's creating,” says Private Division executive producer and EP of production Allen Murray.

“We didn't want to cede control of this thing, essentially,” says The Outsiders co-founder David Goldfarb, the former Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Payday 2 lead whose studio is publishing its first game with Private Division. “You always hope for the best, but maybe in some cases, and I know from talking to friends of mine, you lose control of the thing that you spend an enormous amount of energy and time on.”

For The Outsiders, controlling its IP is essential for its other business endeavors. The founders see their studio as an entertainment company that hopes to extend the IP through movies, TV, clothing, comics, and other merchandising opportunities.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I decided to snoop around Private Division-related trademarks and found this from earlier this year: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=87826962&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

oSkqiBk.png

Looks like we have a title.

Curratum

For some reason the artwork with the battle scene is giving me Myth 1/2 flashbacks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So it's basically Beowulf role reversal. Apparently it's an action game now and not an RPG?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...-literal-monster-seeking-bloodthirsty-revenge

NEW GAME DARKBORN MAKES YOU A LITERAL MONSTER SEEKING BLOODTHIRSTY REVENGE
"We want them to want to help this lone creature succeed against seemingly impossible odds on their journey of knowledge and vengeance."

IGN is proud to exclusively reveal Darkborn, the debut game from developer The Outsiders. Previously codenamed Project Wight,Darkborn is a story-focused action game where you literally play a monster in a classic revenge story.

Though still in development in a pre-alpha state, Darkborn is a first-person mixture of stealth and action as you inhabit one of the titular creatures in a bid to visit vengeance on the Viking-like humans who inhabit the world.

Darkborn_4_e.jpg

But there’s more to it than pulping your way through grunting, barbaric Norsemen. Darkborn is positioned to tell a unique story revolving around opposing powers in the world, while you and your family are caught in the middle. As evident from the 15-minute gameplay reveal above, the opening moments of Darkborn paint the picture of a caring family unit that’s literally ripped apart, sparking your journey to grow and evolve from a cub to a predator, gaining size, strength, and incredible bestial powers.

Speaking with The Outsiders co-founder, project lead, and longtime Battlefield and Payday developer David Goldfarb, Darkborn is about putting you on the other side of the sword, so to speak.

“Darkborn is first and foremost a game about being a monster,” Goldfarb said. “Playing it is about experiencing that monstrous quality – in first person combat, in novel abilities and movement, and even in enemy reactions to you.”

Darkborn_1_e.jpg

“But it’s not traditional in that humans are murderous, cruel enemies bent on your extinction. You yourself are an innocent caught up in a much larger conflict between Powers, the specifics of which become clearer in the course of the game. It’s a classic revenge story, but also a mystery: what happened to the world and your people? Can they be saved?”

Darkborn’s inspirations are similarly varied. The idea was pulled together from twists on classic epic literature like John Gardner’s Grendel being the biggest influence on Goldfarb, pop-culture staples like King Kong and Bambi, and video games like Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of the Colossus.

“What if the Orcs [in Shadow of Mordor] were the good guys?” Goldfarb said. “What kind of lives did those great beasts [in Shadow of the Colossus] have before you came to murder them?”

DarkbornReveal_blogroll2.jpg

At a scant 25 members, The Stockholm-based development studio has been working on Darkborn for nearly three years, albeit with a much smaller development team for half that time – the exception being some outsourced art, and the audio team Two Feathers which is responsible for the incredible, yet heart-wrenching crunches, cries, and whimpers of Darkborn’s opening minutes.

“Originally [The Outsiders] was founded to try to make the types of games we wanted to play that we felt no one else was making,” Goldfarb said. “Darkborn was the first of those games.”

Though there’s currently no release window, The Outsiders’ vision seems to be coming together nicely as Darkborn makes its way to an eventual PC release with the possibility of a home on consoles over the horizon.

Darkborn_8_e.jpg

“We hope people experience a new perspective,” Goldfarb said of his hopes Darkborn players. “We want them to want to help this lone creature succeed against seemingly impossible odds on their journey of knowledge and vengeance.”

So while there is a huge component of traditional power fantasy in the player’s own growth across the game, there’s also the ‘man this poor thing had it hard and it’s terrible what the humans did and I’m going to help’ element that propels the narrative and, we hope, player engagement.”

You can follow the development of Darkborn on the studio's Twitter and Facebook page, or even contact them via email – the studio is eager to know what people think of its little monster!

Last edited:

Renevent

Cipher
I read somewhere one of it's inspirations is the book Grendel (by John Gardener), so yeah, reverse Beowulf. Grendel is an awesome book, btw. It's actually among my favorite books of all time.

*edit*

They mention it in the above article too, heh. Regardless, great book if anyone is interested def worth a read.

Last edited:

Shin

Cipher
Looked interesting the beginning until he turned into a big boy. Combat seems terrible and I doubt there's a lot beyond the combat tbh.

interesting concept though, a pity they don't seem to do interesting things with it :(.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Playing a monster sounds interesting. Also stealth gameplay + much gore is nice. All depends on execution.

laclongquan

Arcane
It is not Interesting. Such games like that are plenty and they flop like nobody's business. Styx series where you play a goblin, hm? Ugly form, check. stealth gameplay, check. Gore, check. Floppity flop? check.

There is a problem with such people who make such games. First and foremost, they make games to express their inner likes and dislikes. And they like ugly monsters. Market dont like it? So fuck market.

This going to flop and I dont care~

The only way to success is they make MC a human form. Extra point if female human. Ugly monster just wont cut it.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So you argument is that the concept of being a monster is not interesting because it doesn't sell?

I guess VtM:Bloodlines sucks by default, so does Mask of the Betrayer, and so on. It's not about execution of the concept at all.

laclongquan

Arcane
Learn to comprehende, peasant!

VTMB Main Character is not ugly monster unless you play Nosferatu (not even that if you just change a few lines of code to play using other clan body instead of that ugly ass). Mask of Betrayer MC is not an ugly monster. A horrifying curse bearer, true, but (s)he is in humanoid form and can be attractive if you take care with the head generator. MotB MC is only a monster in a metaphysical mean, but I think you dont understand that concept.

The point is: they look mostly like humans and beautiful even. not an ugly goblin or fangy bloody mouth sharkface.

The point is: gamers, a super majority of them, like to play using humanoid form, not ugly monstrous forms. If game devs choose to force players to use such forms (without chance to mod it away) good luck to get people to even look at it, let alone remove it from inventory.

Hell, Andromeda force players to play as a nigger halfbreed (in skin tone) and they dropped it like a piece of shit.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
So the gameplay isn't interesting if the main character's ugly?

Well I guess PS:Torment sucks by default, etc.

Your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Angthoron

Arcane
Looked interesting the beginning until he turned into a big boy. Combat seems terrible and I doubt there's a lot beyond the combat tbh.

interesting concept though, a pity they don't seem to do interesting things with it :(.
Yeah, combat looked really clunky, those stunlock animations were ehh.

laclongquan

Arcane
So the gameplay isn't interesting if the main character's ugly?

Well I guess PS:Torment sucks by default, etc.

Your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Baby, if The Nameless One got a beautiful or normal face (instead of that zombie face) all the criticisms of it, few though it is, just melt away.

A zombie face as avatar or poster? Yeah, Torment marketing sucks.

In fact, its success prove to the strength of its writings and its gameplay, despite the minus point of that zombie figure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom