Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Inf0mercial

Augur
My thought process is depending on at what level that buff kicks in my thought is star port systems are going to be atrocious to attacks and forts unless in their radius they negate the buff, coz starports are now meant to be super beefy so a 20-30k starport combined with some forts should be able to tip the scales hard enough going half fleet strength with those fire rate buffs combined with def system buffs will be brutal to attack into.

Combined with def war doctrine and i can see fire rates going sky high. If they negate the buff near starports or forts i can see some hilarity when building static D is worse for you than simply not building any at all, save the money and invest in your economy and ships.

Clearly Paradox believes in the law of Conservation of Ninjutsu.

But seriously what the fuck. Every RTS in history has had to deal with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanchester's_laws, this is the first time I've seen such a blunt and cheap attempt to break it.

My thought process is depending on at what level that buff kicks in my thought is star port systems are going to be atrocious to attacks and forts unless in their radius they negate the buff, coz starports are now meant to be super beefy so a 20-30k starport combined with some forts should be able to tip the scales hard enough going half fleet strength with those fire rate buffs combined with def system buffs will be brutal to attack into.

Combined with def war doctrine and i can see fire rates going sky high. If they negate the buff near starports or forts i can see some hilarity when building static D is worse for you than simply not building any at all, save the money and invest in your economy and ships.

Step 1: Build a space port
Step 2: Get attacked
Step 3: Be winning, but mistakenly send 50 corvettes in to help
Step 4: Lose because you buffed the enemy ships.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Combined arms bonus doesn't give you the "lol weaker guize can into winning too (btw we're from sweden)" edge they are looking for and I guess having frontage penalties in space is too arbitrary even for these mastermind geniuses.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some of these new mechanics sound very gamey indeed (especially this "Force Disparity") but in all honesty, if they make the combat PLAY much better and the game to have a more coherent tactical feel, then I don't care.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Maybe they should give the outmassed force a bonus to running like cheap paint instead, so that the fewer there are, the more effectively they can run like cheap paint.

uaciaut

Augur
I get that combat is shit and all but is this worth buying for any of its other aspects (e.g. research, diplomacy, exploration, etc)?

Grif

Learned
I get that combat is shit and all but is this worth buying for any of its other aspects (e.g. research, diplomacy, exploration, etc)?

Nope. Diplomacy is dry as cardboard, the AI aren't all that interesting. Research is just a lottery of 3 random research path each time. Might have made for interesting choices if they actually went the SotS route and gave you a chance of not even getting a tech through the research route. By nah, you eventually get everything and most of the time it's just a +% effect anyway.

Exploration is quite good, I admit. They captured the sense of exploring a new galaxy for the first time reasonably well, with anomalies, surveys and random events. That's where the famous Stellaris honeymoon comes in.

kris

Arcane
Now I know why Luke Skywalker destroyed the Death Star in SWIV while flying a tiny fighter. After (almost?) everyone in the rebel squadron was destroyed, the "Force Disparity Combat Bonus" of +9001% was applied to him. That's what Obi Wan meant by constantly saying "may the Force be with you". They shortened it from "may the Force Disparity Combat Bonus be with you" so the audience wouldn't puke.
It all makes sense now.

Wasnt the battle 4 against two by then? And when he took the shoot on the death star it was really 2 on 1 for the rebels as han took out three imperial vessels with one shot, thats what i call shooting. Not that golf shot by Luke on a stationary target

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Corvettes should act as a screen for bigger ships -so enemy capitals will have their accuracy decreased or have worse positioning factor which would make them easier to hit and small weaponry[large guns still able to fire at enemy capitals] tied to fight against corvettes

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Distant Worlds: Universe is on sale for $20 at GOG, can't go wrong with that unless you have serious issues with steep learning curves and RTFM.

This thread is a 100-plus-page showcase of people who have serious issues with steep learning curves, are easily swayed by pretty graphics, and believe that Paradox... ah, fuck it:

This thread is
0202a813d8.png
, Codex Edition. I'll just leave it at that. This obviously doesn't apply to those of you who are here to ridicule the shameless unwashed for enjoying decline. You guys are doing a good job!

There's really no excuse for decline-wallowing when it comes to the 4X genre, since they're incredibly replayable and you can simply return to 20-year-old 4X games and have a great time. There's not a single reason to play Stellaris except muh graphics and muh "Paradox made a good game one time so this must be good, too." One glance at the UI of this game is all it takes to see the pacifier and diaper factor; at least, it is for anyone who's actually played a 4X with some appreciable complexity and deep mechanics.

Tigranes

Arcane
Um... the last 50+ pages is codexers saying game is irredeemably shit tho

I guess some people rekindle hope for the new dlc like they gave fallout 4 a chance

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Um... the last 50+ pages is codexers saying game is irredeemably shit tho

That phenomenon occurs in virtually every single game-dedicated thread here on the Codex, with very few exceptions. Stellaris has been out for a while, so naturally we're deep into "it's shit" territory.

After a while, one learns to read between the lines. There's a lot of posturing going on here, but most of these guys fucked the fat chick while completely sober and fully aware that she had a feminine penis, and only now are trying to pretend that they were drunk and had no idea.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Stellaris, with all its flaws and shitty design is by far the best sci-fi 4x since MoOII for the time being. With Endless Space 2 coming dangerously close but failing due to retarded design.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Yep. It has a lot of issues but it's still the most fun after MoO2.
I don't agree about Endless Space 2 though, found it way too abstract for my liking.

Also Distant Worlds... You don't only have to get past the RTFM part of it, you also have to get past the horrid UI....and then realize that RTFM is not even enough since there are lots of functionalities hidden behind weird buttons and lists, without any documentation. So back to the drawing board of internet wikis and so on.
Yeah well, at some point you'll understand that the time you need to learn to play the game properly is equivalent to the time it would take you to finish ,let's say, Fallout 1. I don't have that time to spend to learn a game any more. For anyone that does, DW is probably the best space 4X out there.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Stellaris still misses a very important aspect of any X4 game. Atmosphere. Despite all the different alien portraits and fun little event chains, it still feels lifeless. Aliens aren't alien. They are just opponent X with creed Y and rating Z. Add lacklustre gameplay and it just becomes boring. Sure it's big but with that they made the same mistake Pdox made with their CK2 expansions. Adding more shit instead of making sure that what you get works. More is less and all that.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
New DD about Fleets (cool one imo):

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is about new interface functionalities for navies in the 2.0 'Cherryh' update that we collectively call the Fleet Manager. Please note that the interfaces shown in this dev diary are early WIP versions that have not yet seen an artist's touch, and will look very different in the finished product, meaning that feedback on their look/layout is pointless at this stage. Thank you!

Fleet Manager
The fleet manager is a new interface accessible from the top bar, that as the name implies, allows you to overview and manage your navies. The fleet manager lists all fleets in your empire, filtering away small splinters that are in the process of being merged into another fleet. Each fleet has something we call a Fleet Template, which is a stored configuration of what that fleet *should* look like. Fleet Templates keep track of not just ship sizes (such as corvette or cruiser) but also of individual designs, so a Fleet Template might be set up to contain 10 Torpedo and 5 Interceptor-class corvettes alongside a mix of Picket and Gunboat style Destroyers, for example. Templates can be edited directly through the Fleet Manager without needing to build ships, by for example deciding to add another 5 Interceptor-class corvettes to the above listed fleet. Templates can be created directly without making a fleet first, and then reinforced to create the actual fleet. We are also planning to add template duplication and copy/paste functionality in order to be able to quickly set up a new fleet or make your fleets conform to a desired standard.
index.php

Whenever a fleet is missing ships that are listed in its Template, the option exists to Reinforcethat fleet, which can be done either from the Fleet Manager or directly from the fleet view itself. Issuing a reinforce command will start production of as many missing ships as you can afford at your current amount of minerals, which will be automatically distributed among appropriately placed shipyards and sent to join and merge with the fleet once finished. In addition to the ability to reinforce fleets individually, there is also a Reinforce All button, which will attempt to reinforce missing ships in all fleets up to the amount you can afford with your current level of minerals, and can be used to fully replenish your navy in a single click if you have enough resources on hand. The Fleet Manager also offers the option to Retrofit ship designs. Let's take the example of the mixed Interceptor and Torpedo-class fleet above, where you have 10 Torpedo and 10 Interceptor-class ships. If you decide that you no longer need the Interceptors, you can use Retrofit to easily switch one class to another, selectively upgrading the Interceptor-class ships into Torpedo-class ships.
index.php

Home Bases
Also being introduced along with the Fleet Manager is the concept of Home Bases. Each fleet will be able to have a Home Base set, with any friendly upgraded Starbase being valid as a Home Base. This is where the fleet will return when the Return Home order is issued, gets slight priority for actions such as reinforcing (though the focus is on distributing production sensibly rather than always using the home base), and is intended to tie into other fleet mechanics planned for Cherryh that we are not quite ready to talk about yet.
index.php

That's all for today! Next week we'll be continuing to talk about Cherryh, on the topic of armies. See you then!

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
Stellaris still misses a very important aspect of any X4 game. Atmosphere. Despite all the different alien portraits and fun little event chains, it still feels lifeless. Aliens aren't alien. They are just opponent X with creed Y and rating Z. Add lacklustre gameplay and it just becomes boring. Sure it's big but with that they made the same mistake Pdox made with their CK2 expansions. Adding more shit instead of making sure that what you get works. More is less and all that.

There should be no aliens at all, except through crisis events or mid-end game tech a la AI

uaciaut

Augur

Distant Worlds: Universe is on sale for $20 at GOG, can't go wrong with that unless you have serious issues with steep learning curves and RTFM.

This thread is a 100-plus-page showcase of people who have serious issues with steep learning curves, are easily swayed by pretty graphics, and believe that Paradox... ah, fuck it:

This thread is
0202a813d8.png
, Codex Edition. I'll just leave it at that. This obviously doesn't apply to those of you who are here to ridicule the shameless unwashed for enjoying decline. You guys are doing a good job!

There's really no excuse for decline-wallowing when it comes to the 4X genre, since they're incredibly replayable and you can simply return to 20-year-old 4X games and have a great time. There's not a single reason to play Stellaris except muh graphics and muh "Paradox made a good game one time so this must be good, too." One glance at the UI of this game is all it takes to see the pacifier and diaper factor; at least, it is for anyone who's actually played a 4X with some appreciable complexity and deep mechanics.

Installed DW:U 2 weeks ago, took about 2 days of watching let's play (tortuga's tutorial really helped) and i ended up enjoying ship design the most even though that was the thing that initially scared me the most. I still think it kind of becomes tedious late-game to micro-manage a big empire though and after manually doing everything early i kind of dread leaving most of it on auto late-game, idk.

I'll probably stick with DW:U and maybe get Stars in shadow, maybe Stellaris will get its shit together at some point.

Thanks for the info.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's cute when some grogs think a load of numbers or lack of step-by-step introduction to the game world means a game is "complex and deep". I wouldn't say it has a learning curve... more like a wall. Once you're over it, it becomes rather simple.
DW:U is not a bad game, its freedom especially is pretty great, but it took me less than five hours to figure out it would be a horrible excercise in tedious micromanagament later on if you go for the empire management route. Sure, the game can automate a great deal of things for you - but then you are left doing not much at all. There is no middle ground here, and that's a shame. Pretty much what uaciaut wrote, I just realized it quicker ;)

I could imagine focusing on some privateering action to be pretty nice, though (Space Rangers with even worse graphics, if you want), might come back for that if I feel like it.

Stellaris at least doesn't lie about what it offers - a definitely-not-very-deep, relaxing space LARP 4X-light experience.
Well, maybe they do lie about that, but that's what most not-too-stupid people came to realize anyway. No reason not to enjoy it for what it is. Plus I can imagine it being pretty fun in multiplayer.
And it has a friggin' Star Trek mod that is extremely well researched and canon-proof (as much as it can be)! ;)

There's a lot of posturing going on here, but most of these guys fucked the fat chick while completely sober and fully aware that she had a feminine penis, and only now are trying to pretend that they were drunk and had no idea.
I sure wasn't drunk and man, did she know how to use that feminine penis!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's cute when some grogs think a load of numbers or lack of step-by-step introduction to the game world means a game is "complex and deep"

Just another day on the Codex, wherein some decline-loving snow elf who believes Shadowrun 4th and 5th Editions define that franchise, who thinks that a bunch of trannies and SJWs at HBS can develop a BattleTech game worthy of classic FASA BattleTech, and who low-key defends Stellaris while low-key criticizing Distant Worlds unleashes the words "cute" and "grog" on me.

Your tastes are shit, kid. You're just one more in an extremely long lineup of babies who can't accept that they're wallowing in decline, and instead try to pretend that it's not decline or that they're not really wallowing in it. It's newborn infants like you who let the decline take root. You're such a fucking spermatozoon, dude. See, I've infantilized you here, and that means your opinions are invalid.

uaciaut

Augur
Stellaris at least doesn't lie about what it offers - a definitely-not-very-deep, relaxing space LARP 4X-light experience.

That's fine but i wouldn't pay more than 5$ for that, and right now Paradox is asking me for a lot more so that's a nono for me.

Also - WOW - less than five hours? You are such a quickshot you old devil you.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also - WOW - less than five hours? You are such a quickshot you old devil you.
Well, going through all the tutorials and reading up guides alone takes that time. I barely started playing myself when it "dawned" on me. :lol: I'd say I was slow... but I did not watch two evenings of video tutorials, that's all.

who thinks that a bunch of trannies and SJWs at HBS can develop a BattleTech game worthy of classic FASA BattleTech
Wait, I've never said that. TBH, I don't really care about Battletech, nor about mechs in general. It's just not too much my thing. Might enjoy this game, or maybe not.
I can just say, that judging from Shadowrun, they can pull a good game off and hit the reference perfectly (even if you don't like SR 4/5, you can't deny they hit it extremely well). And judging from Necropolis, they can not.
So... 50-50 chance of success?

What is sure, though, is that people being of any belief or opinion about a topic does not mean shit about their capability to deliver a good game.
Even a lunatic like Cleve can pull off a labor of love, that should prove anything.

who believes Shadowrun 4th and 5th Editions define that franchise
Just look at the numbers. SR4 and 5 define Shadowrun.
Good luck trying to find anyone who still plays the old stuff...
The older versions have become what an old fart like yourself becomes - irrelevant. Merely good enough to poke fun at.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom