Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strategy and tactics games with an alive multiplayer.

ionic atomic

Novice
Excluding twith-heavy RTS games, what strategy titles have a large enough following to be able to easily match up for a game with strangers? The only ones I can come up with are Total War, Civilization series, Dominions and Paradox titles. Anything else?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know you did not want Twitch-heavy RTS games, but StarCraft 2 has loads of arcade maps (among them other RTS games, no kidding, but not sure how twitchy they are) as well as Co-op where it arguably doesn't matter how blazingly fast you click.

What about Age Of Wonders 3? According to Steamcharts still about 500-1k concurrent players.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Third vote for FOG 2. Plenty of online opponents. The match-up system is very convenient and people take their turns in a timely manner.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Company of Heroes games are amongst the least twitch heavy RTSes that exist and they still have playerbases.

Heroes of Might & Magic 3's unofficial, high quality expansion Horn of the Abyss adds a bunch of quality-of-life changes and a ladder functionality, so you can play that. HotA isn't like WoG in that it adds a ton of weird looking unbalanced shit; it actually does feel like something NWC could have cooked up at some point, especially if you remember the people of Regna from the mainline Might & Magic series. However, the HoMM3 meta can be brutal and the level of people you'll play with can be daunting. If you rush Capitol and your favourite hero is Sandro, you are guaranteed to lose.

Civ4 was the last Civilization game with good MP functionality. Join the CivFanatics community to play succession games (basically single-player where you mail the save game of one nation to other players and socialize over the game while thinking up the best course of action for your civ; often the game is played with a gimmick) or pitboss games (you log in to the game at any time, do your turn, and every time a cycle passes (say, 24 hours), you log in the next day and do your turn, and so on, and you compete with people like this). Some niche places still have a devoted 1v1/2v2/3v3 community, check out the Polish KAC - you can speak English there, they will figure you out if you just want to play. It's Polish, but ironically, the undefeated melee player is a Serbian. Civ5 and 6 fucked up multiplayer, sadly.

Age of Wonders 3 has a pretty healthy playerbase afaik. I'm not sure if you're counting it as one of the Paradox titles.

Tolias

Educated
Check out:

a) https://cncnet.org

Hosts servers for Tiberian Dawn, Dune 2k, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 (plus some mods of all the above)

Of these, Tib Sun, Red Alert and Red Alert 2 consistently have players online (like 50-150 each), plus Tib Sun and Red Alert are totally free to get from EA.

Just d/l the launcher and you're set.

b) https://cnc-online.net/en/

Hosts Generals & Zero Hour, Red Alert 3, C&C 3 & Kane's Wrath.

All these get players, like 50-100 each, but not at every hour of the day.

The skill ceiling might a bit high - since a lot of these players have been dedicated for years - but, hey, on the plus side you'll git gud a lot more quickly :D

c) http://www.voobly.com

Dunno if you consider Age of Empires 2 twitch heavy. But there's a vibrant community surrounding AoE 2, 1000 players online regularly, up to 2000 on peak times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom