Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pillars of Eternity II Q&A Stream #8

Trashos

Arcane
Sure, a factor is marketing. I said so myself above for Tyranny. But an important question here is whether the product itself allowed for better marketing. Can anyone answer the question "Who were Tyranny's intended audience?". I sure can't.

Anyway, the claim was made above that the wave is over and done with. I am not buying that, until I see a decent game fail. And even if the wave is over, who WAS the wave, anyway? It was Obsidian and InXile (Larian are doing their own thing as always, they didn't change their ways to ride any wave). If the wave ended, it is those guys who fucked up.

Quantomas

Savant
Brian Heins on PoE2 indicates that they have shelved their plans for a Tyranny trilogy indefinitely.

Forcing the player to oppose Kyros just to set up the sequelbait ending was outright insulting

Ah, that makes sense. I wasn't aware of that.

I always wondered why Fredrik Wester attributed such significance to Paradox' failure marketing Tyranny as the game where evil won. After all even dysfunctional marketing is just that. If the game is a gem, you can always improve the marketing.

It seems there is more to this, as if Paradox had a hand in the direction of the game, redirecting its focus and triggering the inclusion of the degenerate brutality to match its marketing concept. It's an interesting question whether Tyranny was originally conceived as a classic back and forth reminiscent of Star Wars, that you play a protagonist who is simply caught in the moral dilemmas of the war. Would possibly have made more sense.

Maybe Tyranny was originally meant simply to be an introduction to a new world and IP to allow Obsidian to break free. And it was again ruined by a publisher. Maybe it's no coincidence that they chose for PoE2 a publisher called Versus Evil.

azimuth

Educated
Quality of the game is so low it has positive user reviews on every single retailer and Metacritic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom