Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Jade Empire

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I completed this once and loved every minute of it. But I tried to play it again 2 more times and got bored each time. I think the progression is too slow.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Be a focus heavy martial artist and just flip and roll a lot. Charge your fists with chi, they glow blue, and slow time for massive damage. There might be enemies who don't slow in focus mode, I think the ghosts, Yellow Emperor, and demons are immune.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Four to five years ago I played a bit with this mod that added a bunch of fighting styles and other stuff.

http://jade-empire-in-style.com/

Of course the guy abandoned it a version .3 in 2011 but it was fairly stable from what I remember. Might give some new life to the game.

circ

Arcane
I dunno, I'd take an updated JE over Dragon Age and ME. Admittedly I can't remember any of the quests, but they can't have been that bad. Companions were ok, if cliched. Plot was nothing special but not bad either. World was interesting, as were skills and their paths.

Santander02

Arcane
Jade Empire has nothing on DA2 and it's teleporting endless waves of enemies and copy pasted locations, it is the lowest Bioware ever got tbh. (MEA doesn't count to me due to being made by a different studio)

Someone played JE on easy if they managed to go through everything with just one skill.
No, I didn't. The game is just that much of a fucking piece of garbage when it comes to balance.
Unlock one ofthe transformations and enjoy wrecking pretty much anything (boss fights included) with hardly any thought.

I'm honestly astonished to learn that on this forum of all places there's people defending it, because broken mechanics and balance aren't even its worse problem.
A tragically underused cast of characters that barely manage to have any decent screentime or narrative focus, the most linear progression in any other Bioware RPG, with the most blatant feeling of going through "cardboard scenarios" , the horrendous "shoot'em up sessions" (that gladly don't appear too often), etc.

I'm saving this one just for the interesting idea/setting (the focus on martial arts with an action combat, which wasn't really well implemented, anyway) and for the magic threesome that didn't force you to choose. Everything else puts it at the bottom of Bioware's output.

Hell, I may even prefer the first NWN to this, and I never though I could ever prefer NWN to anything at north of amputating a limb.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
There are enemies that are immune to non-focus attacks, forcing you to use focus to kill them. Yet mundane enemies are numerous enough that you cannot waste focus on killing them. Hence, you need 2 skills to get through the game on anything other than easy.

v1rus

Arcane
Need something really light and familiar to play; this should do nicely.

Now, which would you guys call more fulfilling? Lightside or Darkside?

Also, since those character models look absolutely hideous, I'm contemplating on going with a wymnz character for the first time in years. Any reason I could regret that?

Prime Junta

I preferred lightside. Darkside was not well thought out, it was just random muhaha shit.

Also, since those character models look absolutely hideous, I'm contemplating on going with a wymnz character for the first time in years. Any reason I could regret that?

s.e.x sex

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Darkside lets you
kill everyone except the Whirlwind, enslave the Death's Hand, and drink the dragon water
so you might as well do it, but be a good girl so you can have a threesome.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

Just don't try to be nuanced and go 100% red or blue, always pick the cartoonish options. The game actually punishes you for anything else. I missed a special fight style because I wanted to be a complicated Evil Darwin.

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
great game, one of the most fun popamole RPGs of all time.
imo being evil is always the better option in games. it's just so much more entertaining.
also I always choose female characters in 3rd person games - if you have to stare at your characters butt wiggling about for dozens of hours, it should be a females butt.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There was a good mod for this if someone else hasn't mentioned it. Jade Empire in style. It was gud.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Darkside lets you rape, murder, and plunder your way across the land. By far the more rewarding option. No rape though.

so you might as well do it, but be a good girl so you can have a threesome.

You can have a threesome with the girls as a man too. Its stupidly arbitrary though so you really need to follow a guide.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom