Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Short RPGs

Liquorice

Educated
Morrowind is under 5 minutes, but it's a lot of fun

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
We all prefer to play long journeys, but some of us cannot spare too much time playing pc games anymore. Therefore, can you, please, list some incline RPGs that aren't long?

Tks, and sorry for the bad spelling.

Oblivion.

Install it
Look at it
realize it's short
uninstall

The incline comes form seeing what not to do for a cRPG.

Wizfall

Cipher
Shadowrun returns.
Excellent setting/atmosphere/story (except toward the end) enjoyable right from the start and good TB combat and character development (simple/straightforward but effective especially considering you don't want the game to be long).
Only downside is an almost total linearity but again no that big of a deal if you want a short cRPG.

oscar

Arcane
The Game of Thrones RPG felt 'just right' in time to complete, don't think it was more than about 12 hours. Concise (but very good) plot and no grindy MMO sidequests.

Fallout 1 (finished in 16 hours);
Torment Tides of Numenera : you can rush your way to the bloom in less then 4 hours;
If you are looking for a nice mod you can also play Autumn Leaves for Fallout New Vegas;
Tyranny also can be completed fast.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Any of the SSI Gold Box games can be beat in about 15-20 hours (faster if you’re good at them). Tons of Unlimited Adventures modules range from 10 minutes to 12 hours in playtime (though they can vary in quality from fantastic to waste of time, so reviews are your best friend).

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Roguelikes

That's the thing really. Most games which resemble RPGs but which are designed to be played quickly tend to be sub-genres which are categorised differently, such as Roguelikes, Choose Your Own Adventure, et all, because the whole premise of an RPG suggests a long-haul gradual elevation from zero to hero encompassed within an epic quest/adventure of some kind. As a result, the best quicker RPGs will be the expansions to existing games, most of which are usually better than their original campaign, because an expansion doesn't have to worry so much about exposition, tutorials and scene setting. There are, obviously, quite a few games over the years which do manage to make a shorter first campaign, the aforementioned Shadowrun Returns, for example, but usually RPG = relatively long, by basic definition.

I'd recommend heaps of expansions.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some other games off the top of my head:
The Dwarf Run -18 hours
Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC - 20 hours
Drakensang: The River of Time - 31 hours
Alpha Protocol - 15/20 hours
ELEX - Can be beaten in 25 hours, I spent 65 hours on it
Expeditions: Conquistador - 40 hours
Fallout: New Vegas - 5-100 hours
Summoner - 30 hours

Time is supposed to be spent like a territoire. If you have fun, no matter the hours that you gave.
For me, the last two great RPGs that I loved the most were Bloodlines and Fallout New Vegas, they are not very short, but worth the trek.
Elex sounds pretty great also.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
We all prefer to play long journeys, but some of us cannot spare too much time playing pc games anymore. Therefore, can you, please, list some incline RPGs that aren't long?
You play 10 hours a week and even 90 hour long RPG can be beaten up in no time. You'd be craving for proper quality new RPGs, but there would be none.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why do you want a short game anyway? I never understood people who say stuff like, "Game is too long." It makes no sense. If the game is fun you would want it to be as long as possible. If you want it to end, it can't be that good. Unless you are a storyfag playing only for story, in which case most of the recommendations in this thread are invalid anyway.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
One reason is replay value: imagine a Blobber taking 50+ hours for a walkthrough. Then you want to try another party combination. However after the first playthrough most of the excitements, surprises, exploration, new and flashy things are gone. If the game is too long, you're constantly struggling to finish your replay, because of boredom and "omfg all these cumbersome, annoying, stretched parts again". If it's short, you'll probably finish the replay.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Why do you want a short game anyway? I never understood people who say stuff like, "Game is too long." It makes no sense. If the game is fun you would want it to be as long as possible. If you want it to end, it can't be that good. Unless you are a storyfag playing only for story, in which case most of the recommendations in this thread are invalid anyway.
There are people who have "better short and good than long and boring" mindset, even to this day I can spot them on the forums or comment sections. Horrible creatures, avoid them whenever you can.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
There are people who have "better short and good than long and boring" mindset, even to this day I can spot them on the forums or comment sections. Horrible creatures, avoid them whenever you can.
Short and good is ok. But this thread seems to be hunting down anything that is just short.

Gimble

Educated
You didnt read the OP well.

Read this: "can you, please, list some incline RPGs that aren't long?"

Weren't you playing Wiz7? I can understand some of the issues with the length of that game, especially since it is not suitable for long sessions as opposed to multiple short sessions. What style of games are you looking for?

Some good games from different RPG subgenres, each < 40 hours long:
  • TB dungeon crawling: Wizardry 6
  • RT dungeon crawling: Dungeon master and Chaos strikes back
  • Isometric TB RPG: Fallout 1
  • Top down TB D&D RPG: Knights of the chalice
  • 3rd/1st person immersive RPG: Vampire:Bloodlines
  • 3rd person action RPG: Gothic
  • Top Down, story driven, TB, 'Classic': Ultima 4
  • Isometric, TB, C&C driven: Age of decadence

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom