Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking back, Obsidian was pretty much a subpar company

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Their games were essentialy high quality mods marketed as the sequel to the original game, they had no good IP of their own, most of their games were seriously bugged at release. It seems like they were 'that guy' that got handed games which no else wanted to do at this point.The most recognizable guys in the company were 'those guys that worked on Fallout 1 or Icewind Dale at some point'

Kotor 2
Neverwinter Nights 2
New Vegas
South Park
Dungeon siege 3

and derp IPs

Pillars of Eternity
Tyranny

Morkar Left

New Vegas was a solid and superior expansion to F3, Pillars of Eternity at least was technically a modern BG (without achieving its quality). South Park I guess was pretty good for fans of the series. Rest was pretty mediocre. All in all I wouldn't name Obsidian together with top studios from the past. Regarding rpgs there are even today studios who do a better and more creative job at it (sometimes even with a fraction of the costs).

Cosmic Bane

Educated
Even Avelone seemed to share the opinion. I expected games like black isle studios. Instead they never released a single game I bothered to play. And that's saying something when I have bought half a zoen spiderweb software games even though I didn't like any of them all that much.

No wait, I lied. I played NWN 2. Unfortunately it was surprisingly shit, even though the engine itself and rule implementation was good.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
KOTOR 2 and Fallout New Vegas were brilliant, even if unfinished and buggy (for which we have to thank others than Obsidian; besides, New Vegas was patched; too bad they never had chance to repair KOTOR 2, fortunately it was fixed by modders). The first had a great story and characters, the second was the real Fallout 3 we were waiting for.

Pillars of Eternity might have been a poor effort to match the Infinity Engine games at first, but after patches and expansions it's one the better modern RPGs out there.

Neverwinter Nights 2 (OC) bored me and I had to stop in the middle of the story, but I hear Mask of the Betrayer is good. I will try it when I finally force myself to finish the OC.

Never played Alpha Protocol on South Park RPG.

For me KOTOR 2, Fallout: NV and Pillars make them a very decent studio.

Beastro

Arcane
The first had a great story and characters, the second was the real Fallout 3 we were waiting for.

It was the amputated limb of the real Fallout 3 we were waiting for. It was a struggle to recover something of it to get things back on track and everyone was happy for even that, and rightfully so.

Never played Alpha Protocol on South Park RPG.

I'd call South Park solid,. It was tight and focused and well made but nothing special beyond being probably the best South Park game yet made (the rest are terrible, go check out the ones made around when South Park first came out).

If they'd had more games made like it this thread wouldn't exist.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Bunch of retarded cucks. PoE, New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, South Park were all good games. At the very least, they're better than the shit your god, con-man Brian Fargo shits out.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
didn't FNV come out like 6 years ago? that is barely a twinkle in the eye.

for me you need at least 10+ years to begin saying something has "aged", especially when talking about RPGs!

Quillon

Arcane
Its gameplay was not good/state of the art at its time to begin with cos of its engine or whatever and since then it became relatively worse.

Trashos

Arcane
that bethesda engine is fucking shit

Eh, it kind of is, but I was never a big fan of NV's art anyway (look at those bloody ugly nightkins). But NV only reached its full potential when the ultimate edition & Sawyer's mod came around, and finally when the bugs were ironed out by the community. So that's around 2012. In terms of combat, I am no expert in FPS, but I don't think it was ever considered as its strongest point by anyone (not by casuals either).

Anyway, I think NV's legacy is only going to grow as time goes by, because it is THAT good. It is currently sitting pretty in the Codex Top 10 (#8 to be exact), and I wouldn't be surprised if it moves higher even as time goes by. I am on my 7th full playthrough, and I am still discovering new builds, new ways of doing quests or weapons that I thought were worthless but aren't. Obsidian deserves a lot of respect for NV, afaic.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
On the plus side, Fallout: New Vegas revealed that many of Morrowind's detractors actually do enjoy Morrowind-style gameplay, even in Bethesda's Gamebryo engine, as long as the game is developed by Obsidian. :M

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
All of their games are worth playing. Many are wonky, incomplete, or overly ambitious, but I can't think of a single one that isn't worth playing all the way through. I hear terrible things about Dungeon Siege 3 so maybe that's their one truly awful game, but I haven't played it so can't say.

Plus, FO:NV was relatively bug-free on release. Same with South Park and Pillars of Eternity. They just got a reputation as a buggy studio, so people tended to exaggerate the bugs in their games on release. Alpha Protocol and KOTOR 2 were buggy as hell, but those are their only truly buggy games.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Obsidian deserves a lot of respect for NV, afaic.

I played through the entire Fallout series back in 2012 for the first time, so I have no false sense of nostalgia for the originals. I think FO:NV is the best of the series, strictly in terms of writing. The characters, quests, and overall plot(s) in FO:NV are better than the originals. It's only the engine and combat that hold it back. Still, I think combat in the original Fallouts was shit too. It was the most barebones turnbased imaginable and its engine afforded little opportunity for strategy. Most of the fun was avoiding combat.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Spurious comment or just stupid.

What do you expect from shitposters who seem to go out of their way to post the most edgy and inane comments possible. Most people give you some levity between shitposts, increasing their impact. With Cosmic Bane, reading his posts is like walking through a field of muck.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Obsidian deserves a lot of respect for NV, afaic.

I played through the entire Fallout series back in 2012 for the first time, so I have no false sense of nostalgia for the originals. I think FO:NV is the best of the series, strictly in terms of writing. The characters, quests, and overall plot(s) in FO:NV are better than the originals. It's only the engine and combat that hold it back. Still, I think combat in the original Fallouts was shit too. It was the most barebones turnbased imaginable and its engine afforded little opportunity for strategy. Most of the fun was avoiding combat.

Likewise, except I played through the series from 2014 to 2017.

- 2014: Fallout 3 and DLCs.
- 2015: New Vegas. I STILL cannot believe the same year I played New Vegas was the year Fallout 4 was released, I could have sworn I had been playing New Vegas for two years, but not even a year had passed. Only this year did I complete Dead Money (fantastic DLC), but haven't played Old World Blues yet.
- 2016: Fallout.
- 2017: Actually finished Fallout, and played and finished Fallout 2.

And yet, even though it is my favorite Fallout game (modded), I haven't beaten New Vegas. I'll give it a proper send-off when I have a powerful enough PC to run ENBs. Then, I'll probably play with the unofficial patches and bug fixes, JSawyer and JSawyer only, and do a proper "vanilla" run to appreciate New Vegas in its full broken-ness and shitty engine.

btw

Vanilla:

Fallout > Fallout 2 > Fallout: New Vegas >>> Fallout 3

Modded:

Fallout: New Vegas > Fallout > Fallout 2 >>> Fallout 3

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom