Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to enjoy Morrowind?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I'm trying to enjoy Morrowind but i cannot find any fun, I have to walk everywhere very slowly and it takes ages to get anywhere, and when I'm there, i'm out of stamina for combat and now I have to wait ages again for stamina to regenerate.

What am I doing wrong ?

There are a few mods that I would advise you to install because they make morrowind less annoying

Creeper is rich
Talrivians_statebasedmod hp
Pw +5 level up modifiers
DBA fixed plus transport mh
Melian teleport mod
Thread of the webspinner

And a huge gameplay mod: Mastering magicka

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You need to look past the superficial and find the core essence of the Elder Scrolls.
v
youtube folks said:
Imagine Oblivion remade with the graphics of Skyrim, everyone would wanna play it. The main reason people trash oblivion is because of graphics, but you idiots gotta keep in mind this is a 2006 game and for a 2006 game, the graphics are pretty amazing FOR ITS TIME. I find myself playing oblivion more than Skyrim because of the classic rpg feel to it and I just enjoy it more I guess lol

Liquorice

Educated
Jn8aWPL.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Break Alchemy or install a cheat mod.

Jump across the land like silver age superman, slowfall when you're about to die.

(someone should have made a mod where the time you hold the jump key dictates the strength of the jump already).

DraQ

Arcane
I'm trying to enjoy Morrowind but i cannot find any fun, I have to walk everywhere very slowly and it takes ages to get anywhere, and when I'm there, i'm out of stamina for combat and now I have to wait ages again for stamina to regenerate.

What am I doing wrong ?
Being a spoiled, instant graitfication 'tard.
  • Do not wiki
  • Do not guide
  • Do not hurry
  • Do not sploit
  • Find in yourself a spark of curiosity for the world and will to immerse yourself in the details both on and under the surface of the game
:obviously:

You need to look past the superficial and find the core essence of the Elder Scrolls.
v
youtube folks said:
Imagine Oblivion remade with the graphics of Skyrim, everyone would wanna play it. The main reason people trash oblivion is because of graphics, but you idiots gotta keep in mind this is a 2006 game and for a 2006 game, the graphics are pretty amazing FOR ITS TIME. I find myself playing oblivion more than Skyrim because of the classic rpg feel to it and I just enjoy it more I guess lol
Fuck this gay Earth...
:despair:

TripJack

Hedonist
I have to walk everywhere very slowly and it takes ages to get anywhere
open console, enter player->setSpeed 100 or whatever value you want, or make speed a favored attribute and take steed sign if you wanna be a fag about it
i'm out of stamina for combat and now I have to wait ages again for stamina to regenerate
collect plants and make potions, ingredients for restore stamina potions are extremely common
What am I doing wrong ?
You are playing a shit game.
this

SymbolicFrank

Magister
A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, Morrowind released. And it was the bees knees.

Things haven't improved since.

Telengard

Arcane
Bitler, we call Bethesda games hiking and gear collecting simulators for a reason. That is what you do, you walk everywhere very slowly so as to be able to properly drink in the awesome majesty of the game's vistas in all their simplistic, ugly, 3d glory, and then you acquire better hiking gear so as to be able to gaze upon more remote vistas. Honestly, if you cannot appreciate the majesty of these awesome 3d vistas, then why don't you - I don't know - just fuck off and play some other genre of game . . . like rpgs, for instance. Or if you're in it for the vistas, get a flight simulator and a stick and enjoy better vistas viewed at a much higher rate of speed.

jaydee2k

Savant
You need to get yourself a CRT monitor with 1024&768 resolution. You will see...

Deleted member 7219

To enjoy Morrowind, you just need to make sure you play the GOTY edition. That's it.

If you still have a problem playing it then you might want to look in the mirror, and discuss with your friends and family about how you should approach the rest of your life.

FmYjcHV.gif

Having said that, Morrowind hasn't aged well visually and some mods are acceptable. The fog is quite noticeable as modern long-distance games have spoiled us. Morrowind Graphics Extender resolves this. Some texture mods are ok but only if you use one which doesn't completely ruin the original art style.

PorkBarrellGuy

1. Roll Female Breton or Male Dark Elf
2. choose Agility as one of your class stats (this is fucking important)
3. cheese early game with cheap touch-range spells as needed
4. resist the urge to abuse Alchemy
5. fail, abuse Alchemy, have fun

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Follow the main quest, it sets you up and introduces you to guilds, do those, follow the journal and what NPCs say, find resources and what you can exploit, role again if you need to then one day you'll be zig zagging trough the entire map in 5 seconds.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Morrowind is... a specific thing. A curious case indeed. It is in the end not a good game. It does have some good things in it, mainly good ideas and concepts. Great Houses are, well, great, some other factions as well. The world just oozes atmosphere if you can get just enough of a grip on the gameplay to survive, go on and not be in constant pain (which can be hard to do for someone raised on different type of games). Design is just flawless, and by that I mean all of the design that you stumble across - especially architecture. However there is a huge but to all of this. Game lacks depth in places where experienced players can and should expect it. Quests are very, very, very shallow when it comes to structure, even though some are thematically interesting (it tells much that House Telvanni quests are usually most entertaining). Interesting NPCs are, well, in practice non-existent. In theory you do, contrary to some popular opinions, stumble across one or two amusing characters. Caius Cosades, Uncle Crassius (Curio), Divayth Fyr, some Telvanni magisters… Yeah, there are some folks that have personalities – when I think about it most of the high-end people from the factions have some, Archmage Trebonius is a famous derp, there are some interesting dynamics in the Mages Guild or the Fighters Guild… Problem is, there are hundreds of NPCs in this fucking game, and I think I could count the really fleshed ones out on both of my hands. I’m obviously not counting Vivec, Dagoth Ur and the gang because that’s a whole another matter. So, there are good ideas, great atmosphere, but all of this extremely refined piece of a game is in the end empty inside when you look at it from a standpoint of someone who played, I don’t know, V:tM:B or Planescape: Torment. You do need to like the Bethesda style gameplay to enjoy Morrowind, if you don’t then you don’t enjoy this game as a game. Or you need to be a sick motherfucking larper. One of the two I guess.

However! There is one more thing. Morrowind is I think a unique case of a game where there are a lot of people who do not like it for what it is, I mean who do not like it for how good of a game it is, but who like it because of… other things which are hard to define for me. Let’s get around this to reach the point. In the case of Morrowind you are unable to in-game capitalize on your knowledge of the world, said knowledge, called, ahem, LORE by some, that you can stumble across the internet or discover yourself in the game by reading obscure texts and deciphering the Lessons. Morrowind can be seen as a highly imperfect way of showing the last part of the great tragedy (story of Nerevar) which you are invited subtly to experience, but which, when you strictly play the main quest, is not so prominent as it becomes when you delve into things in- and out of the game. In this way Morrowind is one of a time deal which wasn’t and will not be made again probably. You cannot just come to Vivec and say “Hey d00de, I deciphered the Sermons using the code from the Lesson of Numbers and I know what you wrote you did”. You cannot do that in game. You cannot truly discuss things with Dagoth Ur, you cannot confront many of the plot dilemmas that present themselves when you read the lore. You cannot do all the things in game which are the most interesting about its plot, its characters and its story. From a designer perspective this reached an absurd levels of obscurity, there were some official translations in which most of the more esoteric stuff was just plainly absent because translators weren’t informed of it by Bethesda, and because of that obscure, hidden lore was just lost in the translation – I know of Polish one that did it. And best thing is, they weren’t informed most probably because in the Bethesda itself not everybody knew… But that’s I think the point. If that would be a gameplay thing everybody would knew about it, it would be in official and popular walkthroughs. Morrowind by not making its most interesting thing part of the game in strict sense made it hidden and available only for those who got really hooked up on things, and on one thing in particular – on this that this game is not about you, this game is about the last, tint act of the thousand-in-game-years old story, and main players of said story are not PCs. Most people who praise Morrowind as a classic are ones who embraced this strange design structure and do not see the game as a game, but as just another way of experiencing this out-of-the-medium story.

So, either you realize that the game is flawed and mediocre, or you are fucking retarded and either like Bethesda style or are a fucking larper, or you become the ultimate autist and embrace the CHIM.

Ending of the words is KIRKBRIDE.

Jarmaro

Liturgist

Cosmic Bane

Educated
Morrowind is... a specific thing. A curious case indeed. It is in the end not a good game. It does have some good things in it, mainly good ideas and concepts. Great Houses are, well, great, some other factions as well. The world just oozes atmosphere if you can get just enough of a grip on the gameplay to survive, go on and not be in constant pain (which can be hard to do for someone raised on different type of games). Design is just flawless, and by that I mean all of the design that you stumble across - especially architecture. However there is a huge but to all of this. Game lacks depth in places where experienced players can and should expect it. Quests are very, very, very shallow when it comes to structure, even though some are thematically interesting (it tells much that House Telvanni quests are usually most entertaining). Interesting NPCs are, well, in practice non-existent. In theory you do, contrary to some popular opinions, stumble across one or two amusing characters. Caius Cosades, Uncle Crassius (Curio), Divayth Fyr, some Telvanni magisters… Yeah, there are some folks that have personalities – when I think about it most of the high-end people from the factions have some, Archmage Trebonius is a famous derp, there are some interesting dynamics in the Mages Guild or the Fighters Guild… Problem is, there are hundreds of NPCs in this fucking game, and I think I could count the really fleshed ones out on both of my hands. I’m obviously not counting Vivec, Dagoth Ur and the gang because that’s a whole another matter. So, there are good ideas, great atmosphere, but all of this extremely refined piece of a game is in the end empty inside when you look at it from a standpoint of someone who played, I don’t know, V:tM:B or Planescape: Torment. You do need to like the Bethesda style gameplay to enjoy Morrowind, if you don’t then you don’t enjoy this game as a game. Or you need to be a sick motherfucking larper. One of the two I guess.

However! There is one more thing. Morrowind is I think a unique case of a game where there are a lot of people who do not like it for what it is, I mean who do not like it for how good of a game it is, but who like it because of… other things which are hard to define for me. Let’s get around this to reach the point. In the case of Morrowind you are unable to in-game capitalize on your knowledge of the world, said knowledge, called, ahem, LORE by some, that you can stumble across the internet or discover yourself in the game by reading obscure texts and deciphering the Lessons. Morrowind can be seen as a highly imperfect way of showing the last part of the great tragedy (story of Nerevar) which you are invited subtly to experience, but which, when you strictly play the main quest, is not so prominent as it becomes when you delve into things in- and out of the game. In this way Morrowind is one of a time deal which wasn’t and will not be made again probably. You cannot just come to Vivec and say “Hey d00de, I deciphered the Sermons using the code from the Lesson of Numbers and I know what you wrote you did”. You cannot do that in game. You cannot truly discuss things with Dagoth Ur, you cannot confront many of the plot dilemmas that present themselves when you read the lore. You cannot do all the things in game which are the most interesting about its plot, its characters and its story. From a designer perspective this reached an absurd levels of obscurity, there were some official translations in which most of the more esoteric stuff was just plainly absent because translators weren’t informed of it by Bethesda, and because of that obscure, hidden lore was just lost in the translation – I know of Polish one that did it. And best thing is, they weren’t informed most probably because in the Bethesda itself not everybody knew… But that’s I think the point. If that would be a gameplay thing everybody would knew about it, it would be in official and popular walkthroughs. Morrowind by not making its most interesting thing part of the game in strict sense made it hidden and available only for those who got really hooked up on things, and on one thing in particular – on this that this game is not about you, this game is about the last, tint act of the thousand-in-game-years old story, and main players of said story are not PCs. Most people who praise Morrowind as a classic are ones who embraced this strange design structure and do not see the game as a game, but as just another way of experiencing this out-of-the-medium story.

So, either you realize that the game is flawed and mediocre, or you are fucking retarded and either like Bethesda style or are a fucking larper, or you become the ultimate autist and embrace the CHIM.

Ending of the words is KIRKBRIDE.

That one guy gave you a rating of the guy pulling his head away from the screen wondering WTF he is reading. Well, I just did that in real life. Who would think that is even a thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom