Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the final chapter from Eidos Montreal

DemonKing

Arcane
Looking forward to this - it will be interesting to see how shortly after the reveal the game will be available.

I've recently had a chance to get all the Uncharted games so I've started to play through those. Finished the original which was okayish but the firefights against hordes of identikit enemies got a bit tiring. Just started on #2 which is the highest rated. Still probably a bigger fan of the Tomb Raider series overall but will wait until I've completed my run through.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Bring back Lara's boobs

Hell NO

Booty > Boobs

9647fb49167fc5b1373c8799ce4b268d--tomb-raiders-lara-croft.jpg

A user named cat

Tomb Raider 1 is still the best in the series. The clunky tank controls added to the challenge and difficulty of some of those crazy jumps, they ruined that by streamlining the shit. It also had by far the best atmosphere and soundtrack.

Ash

Arcane
Tomb Raider 1 is still the best in the series. The clunky tank controls added to the challenge and difficulty of some of those crazy jumps, they ruined that by streamlining the shit. It also had by far the best atmosphere and soundtrack.

Eh, they could have retained the challenge by other means. Even small things like the need to hold interact/grab to hold on while platforming made a small difference in the originals, which was instead automated in the later games. Anyhow, without the tank controls they could have just made the platforming and combat at their core a little more challenging to compensate, but instead, as is the modern standard, they made everything automated, pointed out to you, and just generally easier.
TR 1, 2 and 3 were great little games, but as usual in this now piece of shit industry everything goes to decline.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The clunky controls of the first TB were shit back in the day and so are now. The Tomb raider 2 fanremake "Dagger of Xian" actually proves that you can make a game with smooth and precise controls who requires precision in the plataforming, manual ledge-handing, levels who requires observation before the action and stuff. Funny thing is modern Tomb raiders and Uncharteds included mechanics like the piolet, whose actually works like a ledge-handing in the practical ways, but unfortunatley they are not in the will of explode it's plataforming features.

The most solid thing about the first Tomb raiders (1 and 2) is the level design. The rest... well, is there. I guess.

Ash

Arcane
The Tomb raider 2 fanremake "Dagger of Xian" actually proves that you can make a game with smooth and precise controls who requires precision in the plataforming, manual ledge-handing, levels who requires observation before the action and stuff.

You don't really need a modern day remake for that when there are plenty old 3D games with great platforming and level design that demands the player's attention, without the existence of tank controls.

The most solid thing about the first Tomb raiders (1 and 2) is the level design. The rest... well, is there. I guess.

So you're not completely retarded. Was starting to get worried. The level design was indeed very good. But you missed music, audio design, as well as the resulting atmosphere and overall charm.
The inaccessibility of the controls is also a little overstated. It was very simple to learn and get a grip on, especially in comparison to some other games. But it's true modern basic movement methods in third person games are generally better (one of very few things that is a consistent improvement). Well, I say modern, but this shit was fixed with the advent of the mouselook and analog sticks back in the mid-late 90s. Tomb Raider was just late to catch on until Angel of Darkness and beyond.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
You don't really need a modern day remake for that when there are plenty old 3D games with great platforming and level design that demands the player's attention, without the existence of tank controls.

[

I know, but I want to mention a Tomb rader game that is actually faithul with the design vibes of the first ones, even if is a fangame project. It was a response to something that I read below, that the clunky tank controls added to the challenge and difficulty of some of those crazy jumps. I'll be very clear with this: No matter how much effort you need to put in shitting, the result is a shit anyway. The challenge of the original TBs was supposed to came from it's level design, enemy encounters, plataforming sections and little riddles. That is what got dumbed down during the ages. The controls were always shit, because is what they were able to do back in the day with that current technology. Because the pad of the first Playstation didn't even have sticks. It's not about being inaccessible or hard to learn, because they weren't depth or complex. It's just they were bad, clunky and imprecise. And again, yes, you can develop a lot of skill in shitting. But first, let's think if managing shitting has actually any value by itself.

So you're not completely retarded. Was starting to get worried. The level design was indeed very good. But you missed music, audio design, as well as the resulting atmosphere and overall charm.
No offense but you are not the most ideal user from this forum for discern who is retarded or not. :M

That said, I didn't miss anything according my monocling. Music was bland as fuck despite the main theme, same goes with the overall environment and effects sound design. I will not enter in the classic muh atmosphere retardation. The only thing that actually has charm in those games is the level design. Which is not little.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://wccftech.com/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-to-be-revealed-tomorrow-launch-on-september-14th/

Shadow of the Tomb Raider To Be Revealed Tomorrow; Launch on September 14th

Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be revealed tomorrow. There’s now a countdown on the official franchise website, due to expire tomorrow at 6AM PDT.

Code from the webpage also revealed that pre-order incentives will be confirmed on April 27th, while the game should be available on September 14th. This will be the ‘climatic finale’ to Lara Croft’s origin story.

The code also mentions PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One; there shouldn’t be any timed exclusives unlike with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Stay tuned for more on Lara Croft’s upcoming adventure.

Timely for the movie launch.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
How to create a good Shadow of the Tomb raider:

- Maintain the current Lara character model from Rise.
- Focus more the game on exploration and challenging plataforming.

The end.

Ash

Arcane
^And challenging puzzles. And old school non-intrusive scripted events, cinematics and storytelling. And get Nathan McCree back for the soundtrack. And make the combat a middle ground between the old shit (lock on, but with acrobatics emphasis) and the new shit (mole popping, but with manual aiming).

Egosphere

Arcane

Eh, they could have retained the challenge by other means. Even small things like the need to hold interact/grab to hold on while platforming made a small difference in the originals, which was instead automated in the later games. Anyhow, without the tank controls they could have just made the platforming and combat at their core a little more challenging to compensate, but instead, as is the modern standard, they made everything automated, pointed out to you, and just generally easier.
TR 1, 2 and 3 were great little games, but as usual in this now piece of shit industry everything goes to decline.

Apart from the gameplay, my biggest gripe is that they killed the character. She was a cold blooded, remorseless bitch in the originals. She was in it "only for sport", which she says in the very first cutscene of the 1st game. She was often alone and showed zero empathy to her expendable companions. She rarely talked, but when she did it was either asking for info from an important character, or blithely delivering sarcasm-laden digs to the "villains". It wasn't Avellone-tier writing, but she was memorable.

Compare and contrast to the new one - a whiny sissy who expends her energy worrying about some cucks that follow her around

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Compare and contrast to the new one - a whiny sissy who expends her energy worrying about some cucks that follow her around
But don't you know!? She is realistic, you want to protect her because she is so weak and a normal girl. Look at how vulnerable lara is as she mass murders while painted in the blood of her enemies. Rubbish.

The least they could've done was keep her British accent, the language atleast would have given her some class.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Apart from the gameplay, my biggest gripe is that they killed the character. She was a cold blooded, remorseless bitch in the originals. She was in it "only for sport", which she says in the very first cutscene of the 1st game. She was often alone and showed zero empathy to her expendable companions. She rarely talked, but when she did it was either asking for info from an important character, or blithely delivering sarcasm-laden digs to the "villains". It wasn't Avellone-tier writing, but she was memorable.

I actually disagree on the memorable part, but looking back at it, the game had a very honest title. The character was really a 'tomb raider', nothing more, nothing less.

This is actually nice, based on the TR: Anniversary engine but more faithful to the original game.

DemonKing

Arcane
Looks like another mass murder simulator as Lara once again kills more bad guys than cancer. Good she got over that tough first kill in the reboot so quickly...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom