Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, what's your favorite RPG of all time? Why?

Jason Liang

Arcane
I've never understood codex's love for the shittiest of the three troika games

Deleted Member 16721

Who mentioned ToEE? :)

All 3 of Troika's games are amazing in their own right. What are most of those guys up to today? I know Mitsoda did Dead State but what have the others worked on, if anything?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Who mentioned ToEE? :)

All 3 of Troika's games are amazing in their own right. What are most of those guys up to today? I know Mitsoda did Dead State but what have the others worked on, if anything?

Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are at Obsidian working on their big secret project that gets teased every now and then.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i don't have any problems with the EEs but then I was never that emotionally attached to the BGees either. My formative western RPG experience was with FALLOUT 1, and when I later sought out other Interplay titles (i.e. BGees) all I could think about was how disappointing it was that they were shitty real-time games that played more like an RTS rather than proper RPGs with turn-based combat.

I think the people who sperg out too much over the EEs are the ones who grew up with BGees, but objectively speaking there is nothing "wrong" with the EEs other than the added content (which is skippable, but it's worse in BG2 EE).

...oh, and of course the fact that they're soulless cash-grabs from a talentless shovelware company who lucked into acquiring these licenses and is making a name and brand for itself by re-selling these games to people with no improvements; you know, the whole morality/ethics thing.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What's wrong with the EEs. I was planning to try BG2 EE.

They are redundant and hardly more than overpriced patches.
BGT is a much better experience than BG1 EE.

The one thing that annoys me about the IE games is a certain lack of control, especially in the really hard battles. What an enchanced edition could to do to earn the name "enhanced" would be to provide things like individual LOS and an individual timer each round for each character (to see if you have time left in the round to quaff a potion or cast a spell, or how many attacks you have left, or if you only have time to adjust your position).

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It does seem pretty redundant but at least it does it all for you. And it has a zoom feature that sounds useful. I wouldn't pay full price though.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i don't have any problems with the EEs but then I was never that emotionally attached to the BGees either. My formative western RPG experience was with FALLOUT 1, and when I later sought out other Interplay titles (i.e. BGees) all I could think about was how disappointing it was that they were shitty real-time games that played more like an RTS rather than proper RPGs with turn-based combat.

This!! And not just because of combat. After Fallout set the bar so high, playing BG 1 or 2 always felt like eating an entire meal made of cotton candy. Sure it tastes sweet, but something about it just isn’t filling and after three or four hours it leaves you feeling kind of empty inside and maybe a little sick. I binged every Black Isle game (both developed and published) the Christmas break after they came out, and while the Fallouts always left me satisfied, something about playing BG 1&2 for extended periods made me hate myself. I liked them fine but they just didn’t scratch that itch.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Tier Zero games: Pool of Radiance, Fallout, Darklands, Arcanum, PS:T.

Can't pick just one of them.

Ivan

Arcane
Torment
Gothic 2
Fallout 1
New Vegas
Deus Ex

I haven't played some of the really old "classics"

Deleted member 7219

Torn between Morrowind (exploration, atmosphere, presentation, and still enough skills to not be a dumbed down action RPG) and Fallout: New Vegas (everything Morrowind had plus great quests, player agency, choices and consequences). These would definitely be my top two although the places are interchangeable.

For third place I'd probably pick The Witcher 3. It is fucking amazing at everything except the systems, which are shit (especially the skills, levelling and combat). Knights of Old Republic 2 is also excellent but has boring combat and a disappointing ending.

Other games which deserve honorable mentions include Trails in the Sky trilogy, Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, Vampire: Bloodlines, Mask of the Betrayer, Pillars of Eternity (fuck you if you're butthurt), Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Risen, Gothic 3 (see PoE)

Breaking it down:

Systems: Trails in the Sky trilogy, Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2, Pillars of Eternity, Fallout, Fallout 2, Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC, Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Story/Questing: KOTOR 2, Pillars of Eternity, Planescape Torment, Vampire: Bloodlines, Mask of the Betrayer, The Witcher series
Exploration/Atmosphere: Gothic 3, The Witcher series, Risen, Morrowind, Fallout: New Vegas
Reactivity/Choices & Consequences: Fallout New Vegas, The Witcher series, Vampire: Bloodlines, KOTOR 2

Last edited by a moderator:

ntonystinson

Scholar
The 3 PC games I have spent the most time on are probably Football Manager, Skyrim and Mount & Blade Warband. Why? Endless Content I guess, Non Linear Path and Player Agency in a believable world

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom