Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #56: Version 1.0.3.13 Beta

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

It's clear that the Expedition expansion for Underrail will not be coming out this year, but Styg does have something to tide us over for the holidays. His latest development update announces the release of an experimental beta for the game's next version. It looks to be a major update, with new content and significant mechanical changes in addition to the usual raft of tweaks and bugfixes. I'll post an excerpt from the extensive changelog, but first a look at a few of the game's new critters:

Devlog-Crawler.gif
Devlog-PsiBeetle.gif
Devlog-Spider.gif
Devlog-Mutant.gif

Hi guys, we are releasing a new major update of the base game on the experimental branch. If everything goes as planned, we'll be releasing it to the main branch as well soon.

To play experimental branch on Steam, you right click the game in your library and go to "Betas" tab. To do so on GOG, you select the game and choose More->Settings. Make sure you don't override all your live version saves just in case something goes horribly wrong.

We have new creatures, items and feats.

Creatures
  • Increased Coil Spider psi points and psi regeneration
  • Coil Spiders now have darkvision
  • Added Greater Coil Spiders
  • Added a new machinegun turret to replace the regular auto-turret in certain places and on certain difficulties
  • Increased dodge and evasion of burrower spawns, but also increased their susceptibility to AoE attacks
  • Dogs will now attempt to bump you out of stealth when the detection gets into ALERTED state, just like human NPCs (on normal difficulty or higher)
  • Added a stronger version of psi beetle
  • Increased crawler attack damage a bit; they also regenerate health now (even in combat) and have dark vision
  • Added a stronger version of crawler
  • Added stronger version of mutants Hunchback mutants
Quests/Maps
  • Because of the global map, some areas had to be added and some had to be reorganized (especially around the starting cave areas) in order to achieve geographical consistency
  • Added a number of possible random events around the world
  • Reworked a lot of encounters to scale with game difficulty (from easy to dominating). Normal was mostly kept as it is, but some encounters (typically mid-late and late game ones) were made more difficult on that level.
  • Reworked the Free Drone's final mission debriefing dialog with Trenton in order to better handle a certain optional outcome
  • DC mindreading will now take into account the number of killed Faceless, which will have negative effects of varying degrees depending on that number; however, kills during certain story-related events where combat is unavoidable will not be counted
  • Expanded the Hanging Rat bar and added a base ability check
Have fun with the new stuff and please stay patient as we continue to work on the Expedition DLC.
It's a brave new Underrail. Read the full changelog for details on the changes to the game's user interface, items, feats and more.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
These guys are amazing. Underrail must have the happiest fans on the planet. I mean is it now 2 full years since they released? And the game was huge and entertaining even back then! I remember traveling around in some weird cave thing for hours, finding more and more twists and turns and ceiling brain sucker thingies, I felt overwhelmed by the size, got lost and finally emerged on some station I didn't even know existed! And now it's like even bigger and has so much new stuff. Wow oh wow, Underrail, you beautiful thing you

Drowed

Arcane
I almost feel bad about saying this, but... I wish I could preorder Styg's DLC. I don't know how much money I'll have next year, but I have a little bit now, probably enough to buy the expansion.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
lol No, nice try though.
Support your argument. Pillars of Eternity stopped updating ages ago and didn't change game content to the extent that Styg is doing. Barring one pass at thinning out mobs (that left the Skaen temple untouched) and making act 3 encounters tougher, it was largely system-side changes.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Cool I guess, but I wonder how compatible old saves will be with so many changes. I'm not starting a new playthrough just to play their middle of the game expansion.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I have a crossbower and hammerman to finish before Expedition, and I think I won't switch to experimental for now.

CrazyMode

Novice
This is so awesome!
But i just started new fist build today...

> Junkyard surprise can no longer increase perception, will or intelligence
Sad.

But, there is a lot buffs for energy pistols...
> Plasma pistol damage increased by 25%
> Laser pistol base action point cost changed to 15 (down from 22)

New build on the way/
Sad there is no energy SMGs, that would be awesome.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is so awesome!
But i just started new fist build today...

> Junkyard surprise can no longer increase perception, will or intelligence
Sad.

This is stupid. I guess there is no point in asking why.

But, there is a lot buffs for energy pistols...
> Plasma pistol damage increased by 25%
> Laser pistol base action point cost changed to 15 (down from 22)

This is good. Pistols were weak compared to other weapons.

New build on the way/
Sad there is no energy SMGs, that would be awesome.

They have to keep some stuff for Underrail 2.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Just call it Underrail 2 and sell it for more monies.

I reinstalled Underrail just before this news hit. Currently trying to find a biotechnician's suit before going into the Junkyard ruins :)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Must ... hold out.. until.. Expedition hits... :bunkertime:
Haha, this is how I was just thinking. I was expecting Global Map and other stuff to come out at similar time as expansion but now it seems I need to play Underrail again before the expansion :D

epeli

Arcane
why?? styg hate melee characters?
Nah, Styg hates everyone equally. The looped animation doesn't do it justice; those mutants pick up heavy junk and throw it at you!

Cool I guess, but I wonder how compatible old saves will be with so many changes.
Don't worry, they will be compatible. The global map won't know what you've seen before it was implemented, though.

I guess there is no point in asking why.
Styg didn't like how spamming junkfood was a part of optimal crafting sessions. The removed stat buffs will get alternatives that are thematically more fitting than gaining teh smarts from questionable foodstuffs.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Just when i start to fall in love with Three-Pointer on my current dex/knife playthrough, you nerf it.

• Junkyard surprise can no longer increase perception, will or intelligence
:decline:

• Reduced the time it takes for the game to yield the control back to the combatant after he kills the target; it doesn't wait for scrolling text and sounds to end now
  • As long as you haven't been fully detected by a NPC, that NPC's detection will be reduced back to zero when you get back into an area where you've been sneaking
:incline:

Like the energy/chem pistol buffs, was overdue.

Some interesting changes overall particularly this new 'DOMINATING' difficulty.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
The removed stat buffs will get alternatives that are thematically more fitting than gaining teh smarts from questionable foodstuffs.
I'm guessing these 'alternatives' will be made available in the dlc?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
dlc when

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom