Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Is there any elegant way of defeating an Adamantine Golem?
Casting Haste and then chipping away 2 HP for each succesful hit, and chugging healing potions like your life depends on it, until the Golem is destroyed is not fun.

BTW, why the hell are the Golems so blindingly fast? Are they so in the pnp rules, or is it some anti-cheese ability they have in the computer version?

JDR13

Arcane
ID must be a woman. Only instead of selective hearing (s)he suffers from selective reading.

ID is one of those keyboard tough guys who's a true loser in every sense of the word. It's fun to push their buttons and watch them snap when they're that weak.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

:D It does feel that way round here far too often for sanity.

I was going to start a new thread with the following, but since JDR13 has gone full retard it would look like I'm starting a thread to make point about my 'argument' (?) with JDR rather than just some fun musings I thought of while out for a walk today, so I'll just stick it here, where it'll sadly get buried in a couple hours:

Spoilers! Alert!

Sarevok the dumb

The more I think about the plot of Baldur's Gate 1 the more I'm reminded of the Star Wars prequels, and in particular the infamous Plinkett reviews. No matter what angle I approach the story I find myself thinking in the voice of Harry S. Plinkett.

So what was Sarevok's plan again?

He wants to generate as much bloodshed as possible. That's it, that is his entire objective. In order to achieve this he wants the city of Baldur's Gate to go to war with Amn. In order to do this he has supplanted a large number of shapeshifting dopplegangers into positions of power in Baldur's Gate. So far, so good.

Now...

Where does he put these dopplegangers? In the high political offices? Nope. In the diplomatic offices? Nope. Maybe in the departments responsible for propaganda? Nope again. He decides to put his dopplegangers into an obscure and fairly irrelevant trading company called the Seven Suns. He then gets the Seven Suns to bugger up the local Iron Supply so that his daddy's company, the Iron Throne, another trading guild, can monopolise the iron trade. It is supposed that he has people going about 'whispering' that Amn is behind the iron sabotage because Amn obviously wants to weaken Baldur's Gate before an invasion. Erm... ok?

Hmm. Not really ok. Really quite dumb in fact. Lets examine some questions which this all poses:

1. If you had hoards of dopplegangers you could drop into a city in order to take it over and bend it to your will, why would you waste time with all this stupid and convoluted trade shenanigans? Just replace a few key people, pay a mob to claim some Amn troops invaded their land, get your dopplegangers to vote for war. Job done.

But wait. Are the dopplegangers working for Sarevok or Sarevok's daddy? If they're working for daddy then why doesn't daddy just use the dopplegangers to literally take over any company he chooses in order to get his monopoly, no shenanigans required. If the dopplegangers are working for Sarevok, and Sarevok doesn't view his father as anything but a disposable pawn in his own plans, then why doesn't Sarevok use a doppleganger to replace his dad?

2. If Baldur's Gate cannot get iron because its one iron mine is out of action and all the trade routes from other places are plagued by bandits robbing all the iron, and yet there's this one guy offering to sell you iron, seemingly oblivious to the crisis, then what would be the problem with simply acceding to the obvious ploy and agreeing a deal with the guy, he clearly has more power than the entire military/intelligence structure of your town. Even if a bunch of adventurers prove to you that the obvious guy is behind it all (Sarevok's daddy), then you can still say thanks to the adventurers and continue with the iron deal. What exactly would have been the outcome if your posse of meddlers hadn't done anything? The city of Baldur's Gate buys its iron from a different dude. That's it.

Further, even if Baldur's Gate did go to war with Amn, who's to say that they'd bother putting up much of a fight? Even in fantasy settings, if a region thinks it's about to be literally overrun on the battlefield then the first thing they'd do is try to sue for peace as quickly as possible, take the best offer at the best time while they still pose a 'hassle' to the invaders. By buggering up the iron reserves all Sarevok will achieve is a weakened Baldur's Gate, to the point where he's actually vastly reducing the maximum possible bloodshed. Literally the opposite of his plan. Ideally, Sarevok would desire months, nay years, of thoroughly antagonised unsettleable trench warfare. If daddy wanted war with Amn, to sell even more iron, then its the same deal, you wouldn't want one side to be severely under-powered, meaning that you'd likely be selling to Baldur's Gate extremely cheaply in order to re-level the playing-field as quickly as possible.

3. The legend of the Bhaalspawn is that there's 20 offspring, all of whom have to kill the other 19 in order to be some mighty special snowflake. So... when Sarevok first meets you and your daddy/carer/whatever, he decides not to kill you. There's like two of you and three of him and he just kills daddy and lets you wander off into the sunset. I know its a well worn cliche that the bad guy can't kill the good guy while he's levelling up, but in this particular instance he really did only have one job to do. But then maybe Sarevok hadn't worked out the one-of-20 at that point? After all, he's still researching the topic in the library way down the line in chapter 6, maybe he doesn't know what he has to do yet? But then if that's the case, then why is he there in the first place?

This whole maximum bloodshed agenda is just a massive sidetrack for Sarevok. His one job is to kill the other bhaalspawn. And he has a monumentally large infrastructure to go about doing this. While he himself could be bothered to kill your daddy, for some reason he has no particular time to hunt you yourself down personally, instead always sending solo low-level assassins and generally incompetent bounty hunters. Bounty hunters who usually attack you when you enter an inn. An inn... you know, that place you will be... fast asleep in... for 8 hours. However, this whole maximum bloodshed thing, which doesn't even guarantee maximum bloodshed, is obviously taking up all of his free time. Which, meanwhile, you yourself are generating more blood across the region by just walking aimlessly about than any war between two cities probably would. Literally thousands of bodies lay in your wake by the time Sarevok has manipulated a town to sign a new iron-trading contract. Or was that just his daddy...!?!?

4. Once you expose the dopplegangers at the Seven Suns for chapter 5, why in all that's in anyway logical doesn't the hierarchy at Baldur's Gate immediately shut-down everything and enforce emergency measures via a police state until every citizen has been inspected for dopplegangerness. How could any political organisation function under the knowledge, not just suspicion, but actual knowledge, that there are dopplegangers rife about town? That same day the gates would be locked, curfews installed and the streets overrun by Flaming Fists and bureaucrats/loyal wizards/clerics all out on the hunt. Doppleganger checks before entering and upon exiting all official or important buildings. No-one is allowed to go out alone. etc etc etc.

Its all so fucking blase on this. Blader's Gate seems to be both the all-powerful base from which to generate all wealth and/or bloodshed while at the same time some weak and ineffectual provincial backwater that can't deal with even the tiniest crisis. Oh, house robbers, it can deal with house robbers in approximately 20 seconds flat, that's what it can cope with. Except if the robbers are anyone but you. You, the guy who's being paid by them to do their work for them...

And does Sarevok's daddy not get in the least bit 'worried' about his 'son'?

hqdefault.jpg
file.php

His dad's the bald fella in green. The trading executive who's also a wizard (who must have the detect evil spell). At what point would he think it might be wise to send his kid off to 'learn the culture of a foreign land', or, I dunno, get a bit worried that his son's appearance was embarrassing him at meetings? How exactly do the machinations of these two play out? How much are each other really involved in each other's plans?

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Afaik, the Seven Suns weren't some small local trading company, they were based in multiple cities, and they were in direct competition to the iron throne.

The way I remember the plot (though it's been some time, so...) was that Rieltar was on the idea to bankrupt the Seven Suns using doppelgangers, spoil everone elses iron supply and get rich selling iron; something he (or Sarevok) came up with when Yeslick got too chatty about his clan secrets. Sarevok then quietly went behind his back in order to use the iron crisis for his own agenda. His plan was to get himself on the city council (several nobleman during that palace cutscene turn into doppelgangers, suggesting he was slowly exchanging the city elites) and start a war, which was supposed to fuel his divine ascension.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The legend of the Bhaalspawn is that there's 20 offspring

Are they really supposed to be that few ? I played the game multiple times but I don't remember any exact number and the final cutscene shows a lot more than 20 "statues". Then again, I'm definitely no expert on BG lore.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Are they really supposed to be that few ? I played the game multiple times but I don't remember any exact number and the final cutscene shows a lot more than 20 "statues". Then again, I'm definitely no expert on BG lore.

Yes, that ending cutscene threw me a bit, where it looks like there's hundreds of them. I must have got the idea in my mind of there being 20, its not really something you can just pull out ur ass unless something has led you to believe the number, so it's another incongruity with the writing. I had a quick google to find out why I thought it was 20 and came across this, relates to the prophecies found in Candlekeep:

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage.

A score is 20.

score
skɔː/
noun
  1. A group or set of twenty or about twenty.
    "a score of men lost their lives in the battle"

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I have a level 9 party so I might be under powered but im having trouble with the shadow dragon the most I got him down to was badly injured.

My party is me cavelier, Minsc, Anomen, Nalia, Jaheira and Aerie. I just bought the greater Malison spell but haven’t tried it yet. I also have breach. Which one should I use first? Breach? I also have Jaheira doom spell.

I have the flail of ages for my cavelier and a +3 bow on Minsc and a +3 sling for Jaheira all over weapons are +2. Any tips? Maybe come back later? I also buff up my party with protection from negative plane energy, resist fire, cold and fear, bless, defensive harmony, haste...

I never use traps can I set more than one? They look invisible after I set them.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

Yes, that ending cutscene threw me a bit, where it looks like there's hundreds of them. I must have got the idea in my mind of there being 20, its not really something you can just pull out ur ass unless something has led you to believe the number, so it's another incongruity with the writing. I had a quick google to find out why I thought it was 20 and came across this, relates to the prophecies found in Candlekeep:

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage.

A score is 20.

score
skɔː/
noun
  1. A group or set of twenty or about twenty.
    "a score of men lost their lives in the battle"

Huh. They translated it as a "legion of mortal progeny" in potato. Weird.
I always was under impression that Bhaal chose quantity over quality.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Casting Haste and then chipping away 2 HP for each succesful hit, and chugging healing potions like your life depends on it, until the Golem is destroyed is not fun.

BTW, why the hell are the Golems so blindingly fast? Are they so in the pnp rules, or is it some anti-cheese ability they have in the computer version?

They cast haste or something - could be a scs thing. You can cast slow on them if you lower their magic resistance I think. Also 15 points dmg reduction so you need something that's going to do a lot of dmg. MMM works well in vanilla but not sure with scs.

Tigranes

Arcane
The exact number of Bhaalspawn were always unclear, partly because Bhaal wasn't exactly pumping them out in an organised way, and everything points to there being a fairly large, indeterminate number (though presumably not, say, in the hundreds). The game itself has over 20, as it has been pointed out, and a lot of people now use 'score' for an indefinite quantity rather than the old meaning of exact twenty.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The exact number of Bhaalspawn were always unclear, partly because Bhaal wasn't exactly pumping them out in an organised way, and everything points to there being a fairly large, indeterminate number (though presumably not, say, in the hundreds). The game itself has over 20, as it has been pointed out, and a lot of people now use 'score' for an indefinite quantity rather than the old meaning of exact twenty.

I wouldn't call what I quoted as being "unclear". Playing the game I established via whatever the game provided that there were 20 Bhaalspawn. That concept did not alter throughout my playthrough and was only contradicted by the end credits cut-scene. What makes you think Bhaal was "pumping them out indiscriminately" in Baldur's Gate 1? And, no, nothing pointed me towards an indeterminate number. The game has a lot less than 20, but if you're including the expansions and sequels then that's a different topic, that's called 'revisionism', who knows what shit they'd be making up on the fly. No, a lot of people don't use the word score to mean an indefinite quantity, but if someone said "scores", as in the plural, then, yes, that could be any number of additional scores.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

They cast haste or something - could be a scs thing. You can cast slow on them if you lower their magic resistance I think. Also 15 points dmg reduction so you need something that's going to do a lot of dmg. MMM works well in vanilla but not sure with scs.

Literally 15 points dmg reduction? I figured they had 90-95% immunity to physical attacks.
Oh well, at least they are rare and don't have much HP, but they make for boring enemies.

Tigranes

Arcane

I wouldn't call what I quoted as being "unclear". Playing the game I established via whatever the game provided that there were 20 Bhaalspawn. That concept did not alter throughout my playthrough and was only contradicted by the end credits cut-scene. What makes you think Bhaal was "pumping them out indiscriminately" in Baldur's Gate 1? And, no, nothing pointed me towards an indeterminate number. The game has a lot less than 20, but if you're including the expansions and sequels then that's a different topic, that's called 'revisionism', who knows what shit they'd be making up on the fly. No, a lot of people don't use the word score to mean an indefinite quantity, but if someone said "scores", as in the plural, then, yes, that could be any number of additional scores.

OK dude, seems like you're really determined about this. Maybe they had a razor sharp vision of 20 at time of BG1, then threw it out the window as the series progressed, if you like.

Theldaran

Liturgist
The "score of mortal progeny" can be misleading... as far as I know, "a score" can be a big undefined number, too.

Basically Bhaal wanted to be resurrected via his spawn, so to achieve that end, the more the merrier.

BG1's story was good for its time (I hadn't had seen something like it), but its implementation, especially in later stages, is rather clumsy. Always with dialogues and documents that you have to gather carefully. Basically you have to care for: 1) Gorion's legacy and your condition of Bhaalspawn. 2) Sarevok's ascension to power that you must prevent. 3) The state of affairs in the region after you escape Candlekeep.

You get the general picture that this Sarevok is very powerful (like, indeed, he is when you battle him), but the plan is not shown in a crystal-clear way. There are about 10 NPCs you have to ask to get the whole picture. So it's easy to be imprecise when it comes to details.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Literally 15 points dmg reduction? I figured they had 90-95% immunity to physical attacks.
Oh well, at least they are rare and don't have much HP, but they make for boring enemies.

They are probably resisting all your physical dmg and the two points is from whatever dmg bonus is on your weapon. I'm not sure what SCS does to the resistances so it could be more than 15 points.

Colour Spray

Educated
Do their fists count as magical weapons? I can't remember how I dealt with them, exactly, last time I played; but Zone of Sweet Air is useful if you want to stand in front of one. Prot. Magical Weapons maybe blanks their attacks for a while. You could also prop Jaheira up with iron skins and fighter potion stims; although you need a +3 enchantment yourself to be able to hit them.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

OK dude, seems like you're really determined about this. Maybe they had a razor sharp vision of 20 at time of BG1, then threw it out the window as the series progressed, if you like.

No more determined than you. Less so in fact as all I did was reference the facts that were presented, I certainly didn't go out of my way to make stuff up. But feel free to word your post as maliciously as you possibly can.

The "score of mortal progeny" can be misleading... as far as I know, "a score" can be a big undefined number, too.

Citation?

Tigranes

Arcane
Check Cambridge & Merriam-Webster, buddy. You never discover an exact list of Bhaalspawn or anything so for all we know it could have started as 20, but the meaning of 'score' in general use is pretty uncontroversial. No, I'm not going to try and find some tenured linguistics professor who was bored enough to publish on exactly this subject.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Check Cambridge & Merriam-Webster, buddy. You never discover an exact list of Bhaalspawn or anything so for all we know it could have started as 20, but the meaning of 'score' in general use is pretty uncontroversial. No, I'm not going to try and find some tenured linguistics professor who was bored enough to publish on exactly this subject.

Haha, you found one. Luckily (or unluckily) for you, that one doesn't put the word in a sentence for context, luckily the Cambridge Dictionary does:

by the score formal
large numbers:

People are leaving the organization by the score.

In this instance its a plural without using the s. And is context and grammar specific. "by the score" is a commonly used phrase which needs all of its parts to be understood to be a plural without an s. The context of the quoted passage does not in any way contextualise a plural.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't complain octavius. In a less prestigious community, this spergy discussion would be more like... anylizing the taste of Viconia's sweat.

Eh... In a weird way, I miss official Bioware forums. Well, not really.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
ALL CHARACTERS, Exeunt left, spurger remains on stage spurging alone

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom