Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay, when I was watching TV, 20 years ago, I saw some report on some crazy cult leader that was selling a lot of land on heaven.

20 years later, on the 21th century, there are some people buying virtual land from some crazy cult leader.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16278-UEE-Land-Claim-Licenses

For Everyone who thinks this is a Cash Grab:
I can totally understand where you guys are coming from, they are selling land on seemingly endless worlds.
But Please consider this: People love ships, they buy lots of them, that Funds Development in that direction. This is an OPPORTUNITY to tell CIG you want them to add Additional Development resources and funds towards flushing out planetary systems, claims staking, and have even more detail and attention given to it. The plots of land are priced this way because people are Voting with their Money not because a land plot intrinsically needs to be expensive.

Humanity, humanity never changes, the only difference now is that the suckers have access to high speed internet.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Anyone getting excited about that time lapse video is a retard. Sunlight moving off and on planets and rocks has nothing to do with making a game fun. So while they're experimenting with these gimmick features, you can bet they haven't even begun to put in handcrafted content you're going to need to keep players interested in playing for hundreds of hours. The game has at least 3-5 years to go before it will be released at this rate.

It's obvious they are holding back the single player game because they know their gravy train is over after it's released and not well received. It's only going to take place in 1 star system. That's it. So they'll make sure the MMO is close to being finished before the release Squadron 42.

Latelistener

Arcane
Why o why didn't he make a real single-player space game instead of a cult scam.
Same happened with Elite.
Single player Star Citizen would be much easier to make.
Instead, they choose to separate both games who knows why, and both are being developed very slowly.
Not to say that the online part will probably never be stable.

It kinda reminds me of Mortal Online. Bunch of unexperienced guys decided to make a hardcore MMO, and the release was... hardcore, indeed.
You could stand for 20 minutes near NPCs waiting for a response, and while doing this someone who wasn't lagging was trying to pickpocket you.
Oh, and if you tried to attack a thief, guards spawned instantaneously to chop off your head.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Why o why didn't he make a real single-player space game instead of a cult scam.

:negative:

Z1llxZU.png

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Each dollar you donate the game will be better than ever!
I believe that she will win!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
There's nothing wrong with being impressed by that footage. On its surface, how can you not be? Anyone blindly stumbling into learning about Star Citizen for the first time viewing something like that, retard or not, would naturally get excited if they thought that was what the game was really going to be like.

Obviously, however, those who know what's underneath its thick sweet icing know that there's no cake. I still can't see how this game is going to be entertaining at all past the first five or six hours of warping to all the tourist spots and pew pewing a few other retards.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I am normally unimpressed by graphics, for me it's almost a non-existant factor in a game. The only exception is sci-fi and space; I grew up reading the stories of Asimov and imagining a future in which spaceships would be a reality. I suppose I'm the exact target audience for Chris Robert's cult, a pity that I never was too much into wishful thinking or I'd be enjoying the "development" of this "game".

Morkar Left

In 2016 they announced that S42 would be ready very soon and made a sale. Now it's the end of 2017 and it isn't even mentioned anymore. Sadly the whole thing is a scam by now. It didn't start like that but unfortunately it turned out like that.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I've been playing 3.0 recently and it's actually pretty decent. Buggy, yes, but they're fixing issues at a fast rate to the point where the game doesn't crash on me anymore and loading into the game has gone down to 1/3 of its original time.

DeepOcean

Arcane
From what I'm seeing from youtube streams, it seems playable, there are tons of bugs but the basic is working, you can land on planets and the stations, it just doesn't seem fun yet. From what I looked, the alpha suffers from Mass Effect 1 problems of having barren planes with just little resource boxes scattered around to be picked up, if they don't have enough content for this alpha after years how are they going to populate an entire game? Is Roberts thinking on selling all those empty virtual land to gullible players? That is brilliant, you make alot of money and the suckers build the content for you!

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

I guess fucking little girls served as inspiration for modelling ships for that Star Citizen contest. Imagine the scandal if he would've won! :)

45 years? Just in time for SC release.
That if he's not shanked in prison 'till then or he'll still have functional hands.

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
From what I'm seeing from youtube streams, it seems playable, there are tons of bugs but the basic is working, you can land on planets and the stations, it just doesn't seem fun yet. From what I looked, the alpha suffers from Mass Effect 1 problems of having barren planes with just little resource boxes scattered around to be picked up, if they don't have enough content for this alpha after years how are they going to populate an entire game? Is Roberts thinking on selling all those empty virtual land to gullible players? That is brilliant, you make alot of money and the suckers build the content for you!

There is quite a bit of content, in regards to whether or not it's fun yet well.. it's hard to tell with all the bugs and also the lack of polish. The lack of well polished content makes sense as they're still figuring out the issues and kinks in hooking up content and how players play through them, making a bunch of content on a system that's possible going to have to be heavily reworked later on is a waste of time. I remember hearing a developer lecture about how for most of development it's hard to figure out what's fun and what is working design-wise because there are so many bugs and unfinished systems that it's only near the end for most projects that they can actually go "oh hey, this actually is kinda fun" or "oh fuck this is terrible and we don't have enough time to fix this".

Pretty much every case of a game where players go "why didn't they add feature x it would have been so easy to implement that are the devs that dumb" it's not that they just chose to ignore features that would make the game better, more so that those things only become obvious once all the individual parts are constructed and working as intended.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
There's nothing wrong with being impressed by that footage. On its surface, how can you not be? Anyone blindly stumbling into learning about Star Citizen for the first time viewing something like that, retard or not, would naturally get excited if they thought that was what the game was really going to be like.

Obviously, however, those who know what's underneath its thick sweet icing know that there's no cake. I still can't see how this game is going to be entertaining at all past the first five or six hours of warping to all the tourist spots and pew pewing a few other retards.

I remember being young and getting sucked into the hype of the MMO Dawn, but in no way would I have paid money if I could have to finance a game with such scope.

gets better every minute. completely unplayable

This brings to mind the oddly nostalgic, just maddingly frsutrating years of playing mid 2000s games on a late 90s comp...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom