Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, what's your favorite RPG of all time? Why?

Trashos

Arcane
Have you tried Pillars of Eternity 3.0, the one with both expansions? It's much better than release version in terms of combat gameplay. Tyranny wasn't as good and I doubt PoE2 will be as good on release.

No, I haven't tried the expansions, although I saw a lot of prestigious gentlemen here caiming that they were better. I only buy expansions that make a full playthrough better, and in the case of PoE the expansions looked like they would make the base game even easier. So I am basing my doubts mostly on base (fully patched) PoE & IWD, and eagerly waiting for Deadfire. There is no excuse for Deadfire afaic, they already have the engne.

Darkzone

Arcane
Favorite RPG... a very difficult question.
Depends on the genre:
Fallout 1 and 2 for the isometric turn based RPG.
Pool of Radiance as a mix between first person view and isometric turn based combat.
Wasteland was as good as Ultima V due to its learning mechanism, but i like also very much Dark Sun and its setting.
BG1 was nice as RTwP, but PST is something different and was therefore from me even better.

Sorry i cannot state which is better: T Bone Steak or Chicken Tikka or Daeji Bulgogi. But i like grilled spicy things.

Cat

also: ⛽
VTMB is one I really like and obsessively try to modify on occasion.
KotOR2: TSL with the restoration mod. I didn't like the first KotOR too much, with it being the typical BioWare game where the only dialogue options were "1) Take all my money (Light Side Points Gained) 2) Meh 3) I am now going to murder you, steal your money, and fuck your wife (Dark Side Points Gained)" but the second one is sorta novel in how much the character that's responsible for exposition constantly lies to your face throughout the game.

I would say Fallout 2, buuuut I have this weird problem where I spend most of my time playing obsessively save-scumming while trying to steal everything in the game, then restarting somewhere in the middle because I suddenly decided I needed to put more points in STR at character creation or something stupid like that. So yeah. And I can't bring myself to dump Charisma because Sulik tells me I smell bad if I do.

kintake

Savant
Albion
It wasn't the first rpg I ever played, it certainly wasn't the last. But it's the first rpg I bought with my own money, that I made on my paper route. I fell in love with a demo version that came with a magazine, and had to have the full version. The game's got flaws enough to shake a stick at, and it falls completely apart for me towards the end (Endless hordes of dumbass robots can fuck right off)
But I freaking love it. Played it when I was young, and the experience has stuck with me since. I do occasional playthroughs of the game now and then, but a lot of the magic is gone these days. First time I did the druid dungeon I accidentally stepped on a red plate and released all the 'Animal 3' and that was my first time feeling genuine panic in a computer game, as all I could do was watch on in horror while my pixelated friends were murdered. Now, playing through it, Sira is leveled up and has access to frost avalanche, making the 'Animal 3' into a yawn-inducing experience boost.
I sometimes miss the magic.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Different games at different periods of time.

When i bought pc - first game i hooked on was Fallout2. My first 3d RPG love was Deus Ex, later i found Gothic. Now my favorite is Adom and i think Nethack is waiting for me in the near future.

When it comes to the open-world aspects that come hand-in-hand with roleplaying games, I'd have to choose Ultima VI or Ultima VII. Ultima VI really surprised me with the great music and the lively graphics (even better than Ultima V's!), and Ultima VII (both parts) had even better graphics and interactivity you'd have a hard time finding in modern games (even better than on TES or D:OS). There was also the matter of the amount of detail that went into Britannia and Serpent Isle. Well worth tinkering with the autoexec.bat and config.sys settings.

As far as actual roleplaying goes, though, (i.e., where you get to play a role and not just explore, loot places and achieve objectives), and therefore my favourite roleplaying game, I'm split between Alpha Protocol and FO:NV. I like the amount of options the former leaves open well into the game.

Fallout.
I got it from a friend of mine and had no idea what to expect. I hadnt seen an advert, read a review - I had no idea what the story was about.

It was an experience that - with the complete saturation of marketing that has to happen nowadays to get a product seen - Im confident will never happen again.

I actually had a similar experience with Stasis.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Not-really-an-RPG-but-plays-one-on-the-Codex category:

X-Com (1994) / Jagged Alliance 2 (1999): Best squad-based tactical combat, strategic overlay

Heroes of Might & Magic II (1996): Best strategic foundation, city-building

Deux Ex (2000): Best 3D level design, synthesis of RPG elements with stealth/shooter hybrid

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
NUMBER ONE!!! Baldur's gate 2!!

if I had to pick another game I'd have to go for FNV, bloodlines, FO1 or morrowind.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
In many ways, Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord was my favorite. It wasn't technically my first, and I think overall Fallout is my choice to venerate the highest, but there's something about the first RPG that you really got into and completed that you'll never forget. It's a lot like... hmm, something that I can't quite seem to think of.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gothic because if atmosphere and c&c.
Vagrant Story because of atmosphere.
Planescape: Torment because of story and c&c.
Mask of the Betrayer because of story and c&c.
Star Wars: KotoR II because of atmosphere, story and c&c.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My all time fav is Fallout like so many others here. When I played it for the first time I was in the perfect age for a game like that, not too young and not too old and cynical like now. I was experienced with games of course, but they still felt like magic somehow. The setting, the choices, everything just clicked. I remember talking about the game with my best pal back then for hours about it.

Close runner up is Icewind Dale.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Fallout 1 and 2, the troika games(with mods) and probably World of Xeen or Darklands.

I end up playing more tactical games like Jagged Alliance 2 or X-com.

If we include fps shooter/rpg hybrids probably System Shock 2 and Deus ex

MilesBeyond

Cipher
BG2 is probably the one I play the most. Most great RPGs are 10/10 in some ways, 6/10 in other ways. BG2 is more or less 8/10 across the board, and so it's a pretty satisfying experience no matter what I'm in the mood for.

Cael

Arcane
Fallout 1 and 2, the troika games(with mods) and probably World of Xeen or Darklands.

I end up playing more tactical games like Jagged Alliance 2 or X-com.

If we include fps shooter/rpg hybrids probably System Shock 2 and Deus ex
Yeah. I would have put XCom in, but it isn't really a RPG. I know it is pretty much heresy in the XCom circles, but I actually liked Apocalypse. It was a massive change of pace from the XCom 1 and 2 style of graphics and gameplay, but I actually liked it quite a bit. I found XCom2 to be too similar to XCom1 and far too... not difficult so much as frustrating and tedious. The maps were too big and takes too long trying to find that last alien.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
This will probably change next week, but eh, whatever. I'll say Ultima VII. The attention to detail, the characters, the fact that once you leave Trinsic, you can follow the road to Britain, or... not. "F-you Guardian voiceover, I'm going to get some gems, and yes, I know it's a trap." There was always something to discover. Kinda lost its luster when I took the game apart with Exult Studio. There was nothing left to discover.

Other games, still like World of Xeen. I could play that anywhere, anytime. It's one of my favorite "stuck in a hotel room with a crappy laptop" games of all time. Very easy to kill a few hours, turn in Joe the Exterminator, make it to.. Nightshade.. before I'm back out the door.

Also like playing Morrowind when I'm bored. Kind of like U7:SI - lots of signs of former civs and glory, but I won't find out about it until much later. The first dungeon being finding that Dweomer Puzzle Box, which only sets you up for feeling you are part of something far, far larger. Think I've spent way more time in Morrowind just wandering around than actually playing through the main story, which I've only done once.

All depends on my mood. Been meaning to play PoR again, but I'd have to psyche myself up for a party through all 4, and the thought of playing Silver Blades again kinda turns me off.

Cael

Arcane
Think I've spent way more time in Morrowind just wandering around than actually playing through the main story, which I've only done once.
I have also only completed Morrowind once, and that was because I was walking past the Ghost Fence and I thought... I wonder what happens if I fly over and...

Well, it turns out that you can short-circuit most of the game that way... :D

Elex

Arbiter
gothic 1&2 + Die Nacht des Raben
planescape: torment
Arcanum
fallout 2&1
Deus Ex
NVN custom shards
underrail
M&M VI the mandate of heaven

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
tenor.gif

Trashos

Arcane
Nostalgia fags everywhere

Sounded harsh. But, the reason behind this joke is that I dont like the nostalgia argument. Or a game is objectively good or its not.

There is a good reason why we talk about decline. Older games are not good because they are older (or because I am older), they are good because back then the industry was not trying to appeal to idiots.

My favourite RPG of all time is Might and Magic: Clouds of Xeen. Considering it analytically and in retrospect, it's not the best RPG of all time (or even close to that), but it's a great game regardless and it's the one I think most fondly of and which brought me the most joy out of all the very many RPGs that I've played over the years. Life was good then, in the crammed, dark little room where my old 386 used to sit.

I still replay it every couple of years.

Betrayal at Krondor is a close 2nd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom