Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Polygon's top 500 games of all time, featuring classics like Gone Home!

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Gothic isn't on the list despite it being basically the first major ARPG and Half Life 2 is praised for it's AI, what a fucking joke. HL2 AI was simplistic as fuck, the AI in HL2 stops shooting when it breaks line of sight. It doesn't understand things like suppressing fire.

The fact that they think that Gone Homo is objectively a better game than Deus Ex still fucking gets me angry.

sser

Arcane
Developer
le annual sports game said:
22. FIFA 12
(2011)

Gone Home scoffed at what a game "is."

do what said:
DEFCON pioneered the idea that just because a game was cheap, that didn't mean it was bad. In fact, most critics were surprised that such a low budget game shipped with the quality it did. DEFCON was an early example of a game challenging the conventional models of the industry.

The Walking Dead changed everything we knew about game writing.

127. Cart Life
(2011, PC)

Frog Fractions shattered any preconceived notions of what to expect from a game, proving games can be whatever you want them to be.

109. Kentucky Route Zero
(2013, PC, others)

[...] Though all its episodes aren't out yet [...]

298. Diablo 3
(2012, Mac, PC, others)

[...] improved gameplay [...]

:avatard:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
le annual sports game said:
22. FIFA 12
(2011)

Gone Home scoffed at what a game "is."

do what said:
DEFCON pioneered the idea that just because a game was cheap, that didn't mean it was bad. In fact, most critics were surprised that such a low budget game shipped with the quality it did. DEFCON was an early example of a game challenging the conventional models of the industry.

The Walking Dead changed everything we knew about game writing.

127. Cart Life
(2011, PC)

Frog Fractions shattered any preconceived notions of what to expect from a game, proving games can be whatever you want them to be.

109. Kentucky Route Zero
(2013, PC, others)

[...] Though all its episodes aren't out yet [...]

298. Diablo 3
(2012, Mac, PC, others)

[...] improved gameplay [...]

:avatard:

I-felt-a-great-rustling-in-my-jimmies.jpg

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can find legit pairs of games next to each other, such as:

435. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis :salute:

434. Kim Kardashian: Hollywood
wtfamireading.png

Also, Mass Effect 2 at 50, Morrowind at 28 as the best crpgs (well, Dark Souls is somewhere there, too)

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I was just about to say that they just took 490 games and mixed while choosing some default games as top 10.:negative: I was mistaken,they just took 500 random games and mixed them. Top 10 makes absolutely no sense!

Dayyālu

Arcane
HL2 AI was simplistic as fuck, the AI in HL2 stops shooting when it breaks line of sight. It doesn't understand things like suppressing fire.

You do know that the single Combine soldier in that istance is scripted to guarantee a specific reaction, and it's the combination of the scripts and the stock AI that "stops" him? Even the author of the video knows it (that's the joke, but I guess, it went over yer head).

HL2 AI isn't as good, as I don't know, FEAR, mostly because the maps aren't as well designed to support the scripting.

About the list, whatever, who cares.

Cross

Arcane
These lists are always the same, no matter what publication they're from. Almost every American game journalist seems to have grown up only playing console games and coupled with the trend of the last 10 years of highly acclaimed cinematic games exploring 'mature' themes, you get a list consisting primarily of the most well-known console games, 'artsy' experiences (either walking simulators or anything with a ton of cutscenes) and the occasional odd pick like Dwarf Fortress for some hipster cred.

I don't know which is more laughable, the fact that they placed Metal Gear Solid far ahead of other, much better stealth games or the fact that they don't even appear to have played it, since they praise it for game mechanics it doesn't have.

25. Metal Gear Solid
(1998, PlayStation, others)
Metal Gear Solid gets credit for popularizing the stealth genre. Bringing the Metal Gear series into 3D, the game let players sneak around real environments, hiding from guards and hiding bodies. Using elaborate cutscenes and voice acting, Metal Gear Solid's cinematic presentation made its deep story of top-secret infiltration rival Hollywood blockbusters.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Don't get the point of placing the first games of each franchise in the top 10 when they have "objectively" better sequels. Is a list about ranking quality, or about ranking originality?

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Don't laugh. Despite a mixed reaction, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood is a force to be reckoned with. With 22.8 million players making the game $43.4 million within its first quarter of release, Hollywood reached — and continues to reach — more players than most critically acclaimed games.
Jesus fucking cristo :/ It's funny how these guys try to pose as a sort of "mature" and artsy schmartsy gamers or some shit but at the same time will show appreciation for pleb crap because millions of dumb AF normieshits bought it XDDDDD

Mark Richard

Arcane
Don't get the point of placing the first games of each franchise in the top 10 when they have "objectively" better sequels. Is a list about ranking quality, or about ranking originality?
Judging by the criteria, most sequels aren't eligible:

'We asked everyone to vote based on innovation, polish and durability, rather than simply personal taste. We cut games released in 2017 to eliminate recency bias. And we left out sequels that we deemed too similar to the games that came before them.'

Shin

Cipher
Well, at least Fallout 2 is higher on the list than Fallout 4.

The original fallout, NV (and 3) are nowhere to be found though.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
RPS is a fucking joke, even Polygon did better since their top 5 was games that most people can universally call good and enjoyable.
This is worthwhile listening to if you feel like getting angry at the retardation of mainstream journos.

I'd wager this list was actually made by some soulless market research cyborg.
Polygon isn't even as bad as PCGoymer and Rock Paper Shitgun. Look up their lists, they consider Dishonored 2 and The Witcher 3 to be the finest PC gaming has to offer.
http://archive.is/3px4N

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Almost no CRPG games on the list. None of the Goldbox games, none of the old Sierra games, no Ultima, no Wizardry, no Bard's Tale, I mean I get it, we can't all be PC master race enthusiasts but what the ever loving fuck, who are these hacks and why are they writing about video games?

Also, they said no 2017 games, but then they included Yakuza 0, which came out in 2017. Are they lazy or on drugs? Edit: Or stupid?

Martius

Liturgist
Also, they said no 2017 games, but then they included Yakuza 0, which came out in 2017. Are they lazy or on drugs? Edit: Or stupid?
English version was this year but it came out two years ago in Japan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom