Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

mystery.png

edit:

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://gematsu.com/2017/12/spike-chunsoft-establishes-north-american-subsidiary

North American branch to publish Spike Chunsoft and MAGES. titles.

Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd., the Japan-based game developer and publisher of the Danganronpa series and more, has established a wholly owned North American subsidiary in Long Beach, California called Spike Chunsoft, Inc. that will serve as a base of operations for its global publishing and localization strategy, the company announced.

Spike Chunsoft, Inc. will serve as a global publisher for titles developed by Spike Chunsoft in addition to projects developed by 5pb. parent company MAGES. Inc. under a newly formed partnership.

Here is a comment from Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd. and Spike Chunsoft, Inc. president and CEO Mitsutoshi Sakurai:
Ever since our merger in 2012, we at Spike Chunsoft have dedicated ourselves to creating fun and unique titles. Our world today is more connected than ever — we can play games with people across the globe and exchange information in multiple languages instantaneously.

But even as information is more easily shared, the world still holds a wealth of undiscovered entertainment. As Spike Chunsoft, it is our goal to cultivate this potential into something new and memorable that transcends time, genre, and nationality.

Until now, our titles were produced in Japan and distributed worldwide by our business partners. But given how the instantaneous speed of information has become the norm, we believe that communicating with our overseas audience directly is a new avenue for us to create joy.

Spike Chunsoft, Inc. connects us with our fans and their passion to producing more of the fun and unique titles the global community has come to expect from us.

We can’t wait to say “Hello, world!”
Spike Chunsoft, Inc. will reveal more at Game Developers Conference 2018, which runs from March 19 to 23. There, the company will have a presence with product demos, as well as host its second annual, invite-only event to share more information on its global expansion plans.

Visit the Spike Chunsoft, Inc. official website here.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
What's Etrian Odyssey art doing on Steam?:

ss_bb882ee6bcde97851fc682f9f7448550939f30db.600x338.jpg

Oh, it's a card game.

ss_5247a860aff1a92fa3899ed9c9acd2a4b54027c3.600x338.jpg

Just that main characters are drawn by Etrian Odyssey 2 artist.

The Emperor has suddenly passed away, leaving seven heirs to the royal throne. Which princess will you promote in this battle of succession? Who will save the land from chaos and a war for the Crown!? Heart of Crown PC is both a careful one-to-one re-creation of the physical “Heart of Crown”, and a step above and beyond, taking advantage of all the opportunities that a digital medium has to offer. With three game modes, online ranked play, campaign play, and free play, there are a wide variety of challenges and enjoyment to be had. Test your skills against human or computer opponents and get points to unlock campaign missions. Take on the unique scenarios and learn more about the world of Heart of Crown.

Enjoy the visual and audio effects that enhance the game-play experience in ways that just wouldn't be possible with the physical game. Collect Steam trading cards, exclusive to the localized edition! Heart of Crown PC is a great way to find a game anytime, and will give you the tools you need to sharpen your skills and make your princess succeeds to the throne!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
For a second I thought that Atlus had announced the last 3DS Etrian Odyssey game already. Oh well, there's going to be an Atlus stream on the 23rd so maybe they'll say something there. At least they will also reveal more info on the SMT HD game for the Switch. Anyhoo, Heart of Crown had a KS campaign for the physical version. I almost dipped in solely for Yuji Himuka's art.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
What's Etrian Odyssey art doing on Steam?:

ss_bb882ee6bcde97851fc682f9f7448550939f30db.600x338.jpg

Oh, it's a card game.

ss_5247a860aff1a92fa3899ed9c9acd2a4b54027c3.600x338.jpg

Just that main characters are drawn by Etrian Odyssey 2 artist.

The Emperor has suddenly passed away, leaving seven heirs to the royal throne. Which princess will you promote in this battle of succession? Who will save the land from chaos and a war for the Crown!? Heart of Crown PC is both a careful one-to-one re-creation of the physical “Heart of Crown”, and a step above and beyond, taking advantage of all the opportunities that a digital medium has to offer. With three game modes, online ranked play, campaign play, and free play, there are a wide variety of challenges and enjoyment to be had. Test your skills against human or computer opponents and get points to unlock campaign missions. Take on the unique scenarios and learn more about the world of Heart of Crown.

Enjoy the visual and audio effects that enhance the game-play experience in ways that just wouldn't be possible with the physical game. Collect Steam trading cards, exclusive to the localized edition! Heart of Crown PC is a great way to find a game anytime, and will give you the tools you need to sharpen your skills and make your princess succeeds to the throne!

why is this piece of shit not in japanese

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Artifact Adventure (Codex thread), an indie JRPG focused on C&C, is getting a spin-off. It is named literally Artifact Adventure Gaiden. It uses Game Boy aesthetics and combat is now side-scrolling action:

ss_2831a1d4ce3910aa37d25206f87424dddcaf0851.600x338.jpg

ss_ddb472d5dffb805116a87352df1616fee386038d.600x338.jpg

I'm not sure that somewhat big screen resolution and the aesthetics are mixing well.

Those tones, those colors...
Featuring a uniquely Game Boy-like design
and all-new adventures and tales.
  • A seasoned world adventurer who can travel anywhere with his extensive wisdom.
  • An old knight with the world’s greatest swordsmanship skills.
  • An aristocrat with the resources to buy anything in the world.
Custom-build your own team of powerful allies to join you
as you freely traverse the vast and unique open world!

Your own choices lay the foundation for the future...
Three years later, upon your arrival in the world of the future,
will the choices you made bring you happiness? Or misfortune? Or something else altogether...?

Immerse yourself in the Game Boy-like design and 2D open world while making choices that freely shape the scenario itself as you progress through this JRPG.

The choices you make are all up to you. But don’t forget: the decisions you make just might end up providing you with invaluable help three years in the future, upon the arrival of an impending disaster...

Embark on an adventure in which you sew the threads of your own future.

Developer Comments
Artifact Adventure Gaiden, in which you lay the groundwork for your own future, features the “choose your own adventure” elements carried over from the original Artifact Adventure.
  • Simple yet fun battles
  • Myriad artifacts to be freely customized to your liking
  • Improved playability
All of the above have been carefully implemented to maximize replayability.

While the “Gaiden” part of the title insinuates a sequel or spinoff, Artifact Adventure Gaiden has been painstakingly crafted to ensure that both seasoned veterans of the original Artifact Adventure as well as first-time players alike can fully enjoy the game with absolutely no rookie hurdle”.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Koei released Vol. 10 of Kou Shibusawa Archives, and you know it, they are only in Japanese language and expensive: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/5209/Kou_Shibusawa_Archives_Vol10____Vol10/

ss_5584ddb445b0307bea4bf691b978e30d5050529c.600x338.jpg

ss_d8065af69dcb0e3a61c88fd337e5706dd8ab2910.600x338.jpg

ss_c2605ef3182dcc92f92d07e25c5b253ba8680f33.600x338.jpg

Interestingly this is the very first game Koei released, and it comes with a modern remake:

ss_497b60c7ddd3b7dc6b2779308e25e0ab1f09103a.600x338.jpg

---

In other news, another Chinese singleplayer RPG Faith of Danschant is coming to Steam but currently it's region locked to Taiwan:

ss_aaf2456b40ec2cad8186373abecaac9f6bf37aef.600x338.jpg

ss_e10c4e8b3f9f30094e60c51283ce8c6b3cbe5453.600x338.jpg

It's turn-based RPG in Unreal Engine 4, heh.

A 3D ancient and fantasy RPG console game is created by Beijing Joyfun(Wangyuan shengtang’s branch company). Users will have a fabulous adventure and start their own legend in a fictional world based China’s traditional mythology. The unique development team gathered the top talents from the Giant China by using UE4 and advanced motion capture technology mixed China traditional music and dance to create a musical and visual feast!

From a Mythology to your Dreamland

Once upon a time, there is a fantastic land named NINE Land. During the reign of Kingdom YAO, a disaster called “JING” eroded the whole land. Kingdom YAO hold the huge sacrificial ceremony and pray to the god “why suffering such disaster”. However, it failed, the North & South Stars disappeared, with a rumors of cutting off the Fate Line, the land has got into panic and the balance between countries smashed. But there is a tiny sparking in the dark, far beyond these chaos, a youth just start his journey….

The Visual Feast from Unreal Engine4
Unreal Engine4 as most powerful 3D engine naturally has used in the game. UE4 has the most advanced character bone animation system and physical collision engine, which bring the much more real RPG experience. A visual feast starts with delicate 3D modeling and rendering, latest DX special effect, large scene depth regulation, motion blur, advanced anti-aliasing, particle renderer, dynamic light cover, tessellation and other series of innovative technology.

b]Key Feature[/b]

We created an original battle mode: beside the typical fighting skill in regular RPG game, the weakness connection system, spirt's pledge system, assistance system and strategy movement will be the very important elements in a battle. when users know these strategy better, get down a strong BOSS could be faster.

Strategy Movement
In traditional turn base battle, user always be kncoked down by a boss in a lower hp or unable to attack in priority while standing behind. Therefore, the strategy movement can settle this problem down.

Friends Assistance
We has broken the rules of turn base battle, because the Friends Assistance system make it even better. In one battle, a user could use 3 main roles and choose another role help in battle,even NPCs are available.

Battle Enchanted Combo
This key feature includes four parts: weakness time, double hit, two system skill and spirt's assistance.

If you want to see the store page (this will likely not work if you're logged on Steam in your browser): http://store.steampowered.com/app/724970/_Faith_of_Danschant/?cc=tw

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
For once at least it's a new release, even if it is technically an improved version of the original game, so I can understand the new game pricing scheme. I'd be pretty pissed if I bought the original on consoles already, though. Look at these western release dates:

Tokyo Xanadu
  • JP: September 30, 2015
  • NA/EU: June 30, 2017
Tokyo Xanadu eX+
  • JP: September 8, 2016
  • NA/EU: December 8, 2017

I wonder if NIS will charge full price for eventual Disgaea 5 PC port just to keep price parity with the Switch version.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love Falcom, but I just can't get myself to give a fuck about Persona-styled settings. And this somehow seems even more generic.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Romancing Saga 2 remake is coming to PC, PS4, Vita, Switch, and Xbox One on December 15th:

Romancing SaGa™ 2 is coming to the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system, Nintendo Switch™, STEAM®, Xbox One and Windows 10 on December 15, 2017.

Sit upon the throne of the Varennes Empire and control several generations of rulers in a valiant battle against the Seven Heroes. A dynamic freeform scenario system - a hallmark of the million-selling SaGa RPG series - enables you to take command of a variety of protagonists along the line of imperial succession and experience the history of a nation as it grows and changes based on your actions.

• Experience a compelling narrative that served as the cornerstone of the title's success on its initial release back in 1993.
• Use weapons and martial arts in heated battles to learn and master new combat techniques.
• Take advantage of each character attributes, learn new battle formations, concoct spells and temper weapons to grow the Varennes Empire.

edit: oops, no Vita edit2: doops, there is Vita.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Romancing SaGa 2 is surprising :O

I dunno what KOEI is doing with these Kou Shibusawa Archives releases.

You can find all of these games on disc in Japan used for pennies (okay, hundreds of pennies), and since they are all in Japanese only, they are worthless outside of Japan. I mean, I literally brought some old KOEI PC games to stores to sell them, and they offered me like 200 yen a piece.
You would not even want to use these to learn Japanese, because the language in these games has nothing to do with spoken Japanese at all. Who the fuck is the audience? You would think it would be me, specifically, because I want to replace all my KOEI physical copies with digital, but no fucking way am I gonna pay 3000 yen minimum for that privilege.

lightbane

Arcane
Squeenix is checking all of their forgotten drawers and remastering everything they find here (is the latest FF not selling as good as they thought, perhaps?). Thankfully, this one looks way better than the awful Mana remake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom