Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The bestest vampire game/mod/module

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are several vampire novels better than Sunglasses After Dark which is a kind of milquetoast predecessor to the mostly bad chic vampire novels of the 1990's (i can't remember if it's before Anne Rice or not. Probably not).
edit: nope. I was thinking of a much worse book actually. Sunglasses after Dark is... err... iirc, it's just a weird book, but not terrible. Still has the vampire chick so the following also applies as a 'spiritual successor'.

Just in the same genre (rebellious chic) i can think of the edgier and angrier (lesbian, serial murderer, downright unpleasant) vampire in this deconstructive series (i think the author is a tranny or something):
Siobhan Quinn Series by Kathleen Tierney

For horror i can think of Vampire World Series by Brian Lumley series (though horror about vampires is mostly a joke and i'm not knowledgeable of the genre)

For post-apocalypse fallout-like (with vampires - aliens in disguise) the Vampire Earth Series by E.E. Knight
(these are actually rather good pulp - until they get boring, as everything).

For 'scientific novel' with vampires there is The Empire of Fear by Brian M. Stableford (i think this guy actually has more books i haven't read on this theme)

For alternate history with vampires there is Anno Dracula Series by Kim Newman

For a 'noir detective vampire' series there is the Joe Pitt Series by Charlie Huston (quite good, the guy also has a nice 'hitman' series in Hank Thompson Series (first book is best unfortunately)

I'm pretty sure i'm forgetting some vampire fantasy or nazi vampires or in some cases, both at the same time.

I'm forgetting a lot so whatever. Vampires have been a meme for a long long time and Interview with the vampire got a lot of mileage out of them from starving writers in the 90s, even in the against type genres. I am Legend may not even the first to combine them with 'scifi' (god, it physically hurts me to call that overhyped short story 'sci-fi').

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
latest

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...und-VAE.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20130707003658

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Also, I strongly recommend you read Fevre Dream. It's the best vampire novel that exists. Then if you're game, you can read the Vampire The Masquerade Clan Novel Saga. It's very much in line with VTMB as you can imagine.
Best vampire novel? Well, I guess that's nice, but what ensurance do I have that it is indeed the best? How many of these vampire novels have you read?
I didn't see 'Sunglasses After Dark' (1989) by Nancy A. Collins mentioned. Only vampire novel besides Dracula I thought was still decent when I re-read it again as adult. It's very different than Dracula, there is sort of punk attitude, but very good. I read at least one of the sequels.
Thanks, gonna read it, but what the fuck?! Lol:

10774cf3211c161be3939ca2327e918f.png

Freddie

Savant
Also, I strongly recommend you read Fevre Dream. It's the best vampire novel that exists. Then if you're game, you can read the Vampire The Masquerade Clan Novel Saga. It's very much in line with VTMB as you can imagine.
Best vampire novel? Well, I guess that's nice, but what ensurance do I have that it is indeed the best? How many of these vampire novels have you read?
I didn't see 'Sunglasses After Dark' (1989) by Nancy A. Collins mentioned. Only vampire novel besides Dracula I thought was still decent when I re-read it again as adult. It's very different than Dracula, there is sort of punk attitude, but very good. I read at least one of the sequels.
Thanks, gonna read it, but what the fuck?! Lol:

10774cf3211c161be3939ca2327e918f.png
What the fuck! Toned down the violence! :decline:

With all respect to author, no need for this. Get the originals, check old.... bay of stuff if needed.

Jesus fucking Christ...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
vampire the masquerade: bloodlines for half-life 2

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
BTW i want to make clear that the 'Joe Pitt series' i mentioned above by Charlie Huston really reminds me of bloodlines (and possibly a VtM setting). I think it was inspired by one or the other because the factions - at least the Anarchs and the Camarilla - are pretty much xeroxed into the immediate setting.

Granted it's possible he came up with the same idea because it's logical once you start to think in terms of urban factions of immortals, but either way, it's a nostalgic trip.

On the other hand Siobhan Quinn appears to be a abnormally powerful Sabbat abomination - she's both a vampire and werewolf... and a junky... and a cannibal serial killer... and extremely unlucky.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Since Blood Omen and Bloodlines have been mentioned, a few modules:

Mysteries of Westgate (NWN2) - PC can choose to be vamp during MQ
The Breach (NWN1) - can choose vamp in chargen
Vampire – Heaven Defied (NWN1) - play as vamp
Misery Stone (NWN2) - Ravenloft
Prisoners of the Mist (NWN1) - Ravenloft persistent world
The Spires of Ravenloft (NWN1) - Ravenloft CS

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The Spires of Ravenloft module (CEP edition) for Neverwinter Nights. Man, I loved that thing with its big vampire baddie Count Strahd popping in and out of the storyline at will during crucial points, busting your balls, making you think this was the final boss battle of the game, only to make his escape, and come back later to bust your balls again, after already having your balls thoroughly busted by his ball-busting minions. Mysteries of Westgate for NWN2 had a vampire boss that pushed you to your absolute limits at the game's conclusion, placing you firmly into the despairing mindset that you would have to abandon this game because the final boss battle was just too brutal, but it was really just trifling with you and finally let you snatch victory right out of the jaws of defeat. Anyway, these were my two most fully satisfying vampire RPG games.

deama

Prophet
Since Blood Omen and Bloodlines have been mentioned, a few modules:

Mysteries of Westgate (NWN2) - PC can choose to be vamp during MQ
How long will it take to get to the part where you can choose? Is it half way through the game? Torwards the end? Close to beginning?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Mysteries of Westgate is well worth playing regardless of the amount of vampires in it.

Cael

Arcane
I find it kind of funny that people love to make Undead heavy campaigns in DnD, especially in 3.0 or 3.5.

"Oh, we are playing a vampire game? Sweet! Cleric of Pelor with Sun domain, Improved Turning and Radiant Servant of Pelor PrC. Thanks."

deama

Prophet
Mysteries of Westgate is well worth playing regardless of the amount of vampires in it.
How long does an average playthrough of mysteries of westgate take?

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
blood omen soul reaver franchise. Dark eden 15 years ago. Redemption is better then bloodlines, more gamey. Bloodlines is the most overated hipster newfag shit I ever seen.

hivemind

I've read "Vampires, Burial and Death: Folklore and Reality" by Barber, Interview with the Vampire (it's bad), VtM: Gehenna The Final Night, VtM: Clan Novel Saga, some of VtM: Dark Ages novels, Bloodsucking Fiends by Moore, The Historian by Kostova, and An Unattractive Vampire by Jim McDoniel. Now that I mention it, I remember that the Unattractive Vampire is a pretty funny (dark humor, subversion) book and so I also recommend that.
Vampires as bewitching, handsome/beautiful misunderstood emos is a relatively new thing. The original vampires were nasty, ugly, smelly things, and just about every vampire analog in every part of the world has the same ugly, smelly, Evil thread. Just look at the penanggalan, for example, or the Chinese hopping vampire. Even Dracula himself was a nasty piece of work.

I like the Whitewolf RPG system, but I really dislike the way they did vampires in it. I prefer their werewolf and mage concepts. So it is no surprise I rate VtM that low as a game, on top of its buggy release and its psychotic fanbois.
what a brainlet post

Cael

Arcane
I find it kind of funny that people love to make Undead heavy campaigns in DnD, especially in 3.0 or 3.5.

"Oh, we are playing a vampire game? Sweet! Cleric of Pelor with Sun domain, Improved Turning and Radiant Servant of Pelor PrC. Thanks."

Up to the DMs discretion though.
Sun Domain is in the PHB, as is Improved Turning and the basic Cleric. They are enough on their own. Radiant Servant is just icing on the cake, really, and it is in the first set of Completes.

What a lot of people don't realise when they moan about 3.5 is that the most broken stuff in the game is not in the splatbooks but actually in the 3 core books. Cleric, Druid, Gate, Shapechange, and more. Even the most powerful weapon in the game is listed as a cursed item in the DMG. Seriously, if the DM gave me one of those "cursed items", I'd be happy as a clam.

deama

Prophet
Alright, I finished mysteries of westgate; it wasn't too bad, I kinda liked it, but sadly you can only become a vampire right near the end, and you'll have to cut your balls off for it too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom