Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPGs are the best for beginners?

TC Jr

Scholar
Only problem starting with Fallout 1 is you won't come across anything else like it imo, just ticks near enough every box despite a lot of flaws. I prefer it over the second as well tbh, love the atmosphere and tone.

Cael

Arcane
Another thing: is ultima IV very dificult to a begginer? I loved the story of this game.
Ultima IV is an extremely easy game combat-wise, but you must pay attention, RTFM and take notes if you want to be able to advance, making it unplayable for most modern gaymers.

And be warned, the GOG manuals are not the originals and spoil some important stuff (like the solution to the final puzzle), so be careful.

Man, RPG Codex with its indications of goold old rpgs saved my gamer life (not sure if this is a good thing), because newer games are so dumb and imature (aka Dragon Age series, and every AAA modern title with its rare exceptions). I am not a "true" gamer myself, but I am starting to love games again (I passed almost ten years without playing). Games like M&M, Wizardries, Fallouts (1+2), Ultimas (4/8), Betrayal at Krondor, Realms of Arkania, Darklands, Dark Sun, Deus Ex, Arcanum, Morrowind, JA2, Divine Divinity, Age of Decadence, SR Dragonfall etc really catched my attention for a world that was totally lost for me.
Ultima 8... good? You... you...

:shunthenonbeliever: BURN! BURN!!!!! :shunthenonbeliever:

Cael

Arcane
Good. I'd hate to see you scammed.

I don't think whoever owns the rights to Ultima IV would dare to rip people off like that; even Beamdog made some "enhancements" before raising the price of the old BioWare/Black Isle games (though what they did for NWN is purely nominal).
I think one of the last things Origins did before it got killed by EA was to release Ultima 4 as a free game in perpetuity. That means no one has the rights to the game any more, and not even EA could rescind that. I think...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If you want old CRPGs that are combat heavy and have a great combat engine, I can recommend Disciples of Steel, Nahlakh and (Open)X-Com.

Cael

Arcane
Fallout Tactics is a possibility if you are considering XCom. Note that XCom isn't a RPG, it is real time strategy with squad tactical combat.

Oh, and if you do play XCom, let go of all your expectations of all your people surviving. That... isn't going to happen with XCom. That game is BRUTAL.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Check the release date of the title, make sure it's labeled as RPG, start with 2017 and slowly work your way down. Eventually you'll find your sweet spot.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dark Sun is an excellent choice. If you want a game with similar tactical excellence (even better combat wise) you should play Knights of the Chalice.

Wizardry 8 is good and has the best character system ever made but it's really combat HEAVY. It has the potential to completely burn you out... it sure burns me out every time I try it ;)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Fallout Tactics is a possibility if you are considering XCom. Note that XCom isn't a RPG, it is real time strategy with squad tactical combat.

It has all the trappings of an RPG.
In what way? I am curious now.

Overall story.
Character with stats, skills and equipment that improves during the game.
Tactical combat.
No romances, though, so maybe you are right.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Indeed, Wiz 7 is very good for beginners, easy to pick up, not that complicated and lots of stuff to do

Edit: I forgot the sarcasm tag

/s

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

It has all the trappings of an RPG.
In what way? I am curious now.

Overall story.
Character with stats, skills and equipment that improves during the game.
Tactical combat.
No romances, though, so maybe you are right.
The no romance, no alphabet soupies and the fact you can't be an arsehole sorts of excludes it from the RPG category, dude...

:D:D:D

Count Grishnak

Literate
Fuck All, I want to play wizardry.

IDK if I will play 1, 6 or 8. What the hell, I could even start with 7.

PS - I am not liking isles of terra, and I am loving fallout 1 and dark sun. I think I'll stop playing M&M series, and, after beat FO1/2 and Dark Sun, I will play (only) Wizardries.

8 is the most user friendly and also the best.

Count Grishnak

Literate

PS - I am not liking isles of terra, and I am loving fallout 1 and dark sun. I think I'll stop playing M&M series, and, after beat FO1/2 and Dark Sun, I will play (only) Wizardries.

Yeah, but others have mapping and puzzles.

Fair enough, I only skimmed the thread and was still thinking of what's best for beginners.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

8 also simplifies the character and skill systems a bit, in case you can't remember, so that's another reason to potentially stay away from it (coming from the person who's only ever played Wiz8).

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Fallout2, Deus Ex are great beginner titles: not too hard, not too easy. Deus Ex has great story(conspiracy based) , Fallou2 - big open world with a lot of interesting NPC's.

And there is Gothic which is :love:

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

8 also simplifies the character and skill systems a bit, in case you can't remember, so that's another reason to potentially stay away from it (coming from the person who's only ever played Wiz8).

Which wizardry I should play, in your way of seeing things, and why?

This year I replayed 1, and then continued with 2,3 and 5. Wizardry 5 is excellent, truly should have been labelled as Wizardry II because it expands gameplay while keeping the essentials. If you play just 5 you can say you know how old wizardries work and at the same time enjoy a more detailed dungeon design, and fixed gameplay issues like the worthless thief class and other limitations. If after a few hours Wizardry 5 is too old school for you, try starting 6. If that fails, I'm truly sorry for you. You can at least try to play 8, a good game by itself even if you don't play the prequels. But I advise to keep it a dirty secret.

Regarding early wizardries. I have very little time to play, and only managed to pull off playing those games because I installed them on mobile (PS emulation works great). If you are in a similar case, consider that.

bloodlover

Arcane
I can't wait for an actual new player (you know, one that only knows Skyrim, thinks Fallout 4 is great and played Dragon Age 2 "back in the day") to read this thread and install PS:T or Wizardry. :lol:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Of course you can, but I'd recommend starting with either 1 or 6.
Lady Error will probably disagree.

Why?

I dont care about any other game, I just want to play wiz7.

Is wiz7 that difiicult, that I would only appreciate it if I build some background, firstly?

The story and setting makes more sense if playing Wiz 6 first.
Also the game is very hard after doing the small beginner dungeon and the main city. It gets easier later, but it's a huge game, of all the CRPGs I've played probably the one that took me most time to complete.
So it's not a game I'd recommend for a newbie.

But if you are really motivated to play it, give it a try.

Doktor Best

Arcane

It has level scaling, therefor it is actually the worst Wizardry title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom