Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GaminGHD Romanian Doritos & Mountain Dew Thread

free999enigma

Learned
Hi Guys !

If it's someone interested,we organize a Giveaway for 3 Gamepads G4s Advanced Edition :)

The Giveaway runs between 1 Dec - 20 Dec.

free999enigma

Learned
Throne of Lies is a brand new game about social manipulation, backstabbing and arguing with people over the internet, currently on Kickstarter. We've partnered up with the developer, Imperium42 Game Studio, to give away 20 keys for Throne of Lies. You've got until the 24th of February to participate. Also, make sure to give the game a look, over on Kickstarter

Throne of Lies Kickstarter : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imperium42/throne-of-lies-the-online-game-of-lies-and-deceit/
Throne of Lies Giveaway : https://gleam.io/LYdKs/throne-of-lies-giveaway-x20-keys-redeem-on-steam

free999enigma

Learned
Strategy games have many different categories they can fit into. And in recent years, the one that's been ignored the most is the Real Time Tactics genre. Today, we cover the origins of this genre and its transformation into what it is today.

"That being promoting", now guys seriously, i really want to open a discussion about RTT Games, what do you think about this genre? it's dead? (I know Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun was just released and it's a great game, but just a game it's enough to satisfy you ?

What's your favourite RTT Game? Do you want to see more in the future? If you played Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun how was?

:ziets:

Beowulf

Arcane
Trying to talk about RTT history without mentioning Myth, Ground Control or even Close Combat is a heresy.

I know that in showcasing Commandos you wanted to draw a parallel to Shadow Tactics and use it's recent popularity as a vehicle to "start a discussion", but come on... that was some low quality bait (which I bit nonetheless).

free999enigma

Learned
Hey Guys i found this Campaign and Looks Pretty Good:

:kwanzania:

$1 Crystal Classics Game Bundle

PC Codes Only
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain
Project Snowblind
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 Pandemonium

$15 Tomb Raider Game Bundle

PC Codes Only
Tomb Raider (2013)
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Legend Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

$25 25th Anniversary Game Bundle

PC Codes Only
Tomb Raider (2013)
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Legend Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain
Project Snowblind
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 Pandemonium

GameChanger Swag Bundle

For a $50 donation, you will receive a GameChanger Charity swag pack & the 25th Anniversary Game Bundle!

https://tiltify.com/events/crystal-dynamics-25th-anniversary-campaign

free999enigma

Learned
Today, we delve into the origins and the meaning of the RPG. The Role Playing Game. The evolution of a term used to describe everything from the classics of the genre to some mobile app about filling bars with colors.

We made this video some time ago and i think it fits in this place :)
Don't kill me please.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I stopped when you started speaking.

Congrats though for managing to sound like a retard for 7 minutes(I'm a good person so I'll assume you were just pretending).

J1M

Arcane
Brevity is the soul of wit. Hire an editor.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

it was an interesting video... considering the stupid bioware at the times of dragon age 2 went in all with "let's not discuss what is an rpg" to cover their trash release and their shift on quality..

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
D&D was "influential." Lol. Do more research. Read Jon Peterson.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well, at least you understand the basics of WHAT an actual RPG is. Sorry, only watched a few minutes.

:salute:

Maybe I can watch some more later. SO busy...

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Watching with sound off due to earlier warnings. Maybe I'll risk unmuting for a second attempt, but taking to ghosts in Magincia deserved at least a Merry Christmas.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
D&D was "influential." Lol. Do more research. Read Jon Peterson.

Jon Peterson's Playing at the World is a great read, but it doesn't really cover the influence of DnD on computer RPGs.

No, but it shows why describing RPGs based on what "role playing" means is about as meaningful as describing American football based what the words "Foot" and "Ball" mean. The term "role-playing game" was just one of many colloquialisms coined to describe the new genre of games that came to imitate D&D, and it happened to stick. Another one was "Braunstein." Go figure.

The video author also totally misses (like everyone does) that RPGs are descended from wargames. Part of some mistaken goal to elevate the hobby over it's gauche roots, I suppose. Or just plain ignorance.

free999enigma

Learned
"We’ve all heard this one before. “Games were great back in my day, all the new ones are bad”. But is it actually true? Are new games just a succession of lootbox ridden repetitive open world blandness with no creativity, whereas years ago they still had a spark of uniqueness? Let’s explore this idea."

TC Jr

Scholar
I played Fallout 1 for the first time a couple of years ago, seems redundant at this point but no the fact i.s gaming has got far too big and actually serious money-wise that to appeal to the lowest common denominator is the most logical choice and so we get retard gameplay mechanics with good voice acting and the modern gamer rates that as good. Gaming's fucked on the AAA/AA side. I didn't watch the video so only responding to op

Jokzore

Arbiter
A little bit of both.

I've been on somewhat of a last-century vidya game binge lately. I've played Fallout 1 for the first time and replayed Fallout 2 with restored content mod and it was an absolute blast, it wasn't nostalgia, those games are just flat out better than RPGs today.

However, right now I'm slogging my way through Dark Forces and holy shit do I hate this game, I hate the way it looks, I hate the way it controls and I hate that it doesn't tell you jack shit, I've beaten the first 5 levels without knowing that theres a way to look up and down or that I have an inventory! The only part of the game that's ''better'' than modern FPS is the level design, but even then it can't hold a candle to other classics and even some recent titles.

TLDR; Fallout is a masterpiece and Dark Forces is pure nostalgia

boot

Prophet
The old games really were better. Nostalgia is the word normies use to hand wave away The Decline. If someone uses the nostalgia line, very good chance they are a moron.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom