Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might & Magic IX

Calis

Pensionado
This is the comments thread for <A HREF="/gamedetails.php?id=103">Might & Magic IX</A>

Don Peste

Arcane
Glad to have found this! This is the official thread for discussing Might & Magic IX, right?
Ok, it's -75% off right now at GOG, but it doesn't have very good reviews. Any comments?

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Its not good, if you are going to play it you are required to download the fan patches or you won't even be able to complete the game.

UglyBastard

Arcane
It's kinda playable with the patch, but it's certainly not good. If you are really starved for this kind of game, why not?

I bought it at release (just lol@me), quickly gave up when it turned out to be complete garbage, then revisited it later with some fan patches and almost finished it (stopped before the last dungeon). I actually had some fun the second time around, but the game is certainly nothing to write home about. I would not spend more than $5 for it.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
It's not that bad. Ugly, certainly. Not as good as the other M&M games, sure. But definitely enjoyable anyway if you like M&M-like blobbers, let's not be over-elitist. Its main fault is being a poor M&M game, not a poor game.

Also, while the game is not as good as the others in the series, I still liked its magic system better. Having each spell being built out of two or three different magic schools is the way to go for me. Clerics, for instance, still make for the best healers by far, but wizards can now heal a bit too. It's not game changing in any way but it's really nice.

Last edited:

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well the patches make the game playable? I mean i don't know what to say. There are a few points within the game where the game can just stop and you might not be able to progress the main story.
Some items, dialogue and even spells don't work the way they should.
There are also some things that can crash that have somewhat been fixed in the fan patch (maybe some script errors in the background?)

Its been a while since i played it. So i can't remember all the details.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I played up to the 2nd act while ago and don't recall encountering any bugs. Honestly playing the game just made we want to play the old school M&Ms. LOL

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

ohahi there... ohaeh eheheha Would you like to buy some armor? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!?!

Sad:negative::negative:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why didn't you like X? I mean besides the obvious. (Smaller world, no real time travel, etc)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why didn't you like X? I mean besides the obvious. (Smaller world, no real time travel, etc)
What to like,there was no real exploration,the game was far too balanced,you never felt that you actually gained any power over some enemies. You had to clean everything to keep up with the levels,also fuck that xp system(uncontentious = no xp). The world was small and it wasn't MM world,it was some new HoMM shit. The whole battle system was centred around drinking potions while the other games you could never touch a potions. I really hate using potions in games,the only potion that i ever used in BG was the the one for extra int so i could get all the spells in my spellbook. In MM i use only perma stats potions.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Glad to have found this! This is the official thread for discussing Might & Magic IX, right?
Ok, it's -75% off right now at GOG, but it doesn't have very good reviews. Any comments?
I finished it without any issues! Really liked it. Not the best in the series (obviously), but enough spins on the classic formula to make it interesting.

Check out 3AM's Tim Lang (Lead Designer) interview below:
Interview

Proud to have my review of the game featured in felipepepe 's RPG book :cool:

Luzur

Good Sir
So MM9 which is pra-alpha at best and had to be fixed by modders is far better then 10, which was playable from the box?

I am considered one of the top-4 Might and Magic fans here, but even i thinks that 10 is way better then 9 in this regard.

Diggfinger

Arcane
So MM9 which is pra-alpha at best and had to be fixed by modders is far better then 10, which was playable from the box?

I am considered one of the top-4 Might and Magic fans here, but even i thinks that 10 is way better then 9 in this regard.

giphy.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom