Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
Sure, but that impacts accuracy (and potentially firing speed), not damage

But realistically accuracy should impact damage :smug:
like when dexterity increase damage.

btw now i want an RPG where STR increase accuracy and fire rate with firearms.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sawyer is being far more reactive to internet bitching than I would have thought.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm starting to suspect we're looking at a 6 month beta and a summer release.

And 3 years of patching.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sawyer, 2015: D&D is a flawed system! I can make it better! I'll show them, I'll show them all!!!

Sawyer, Present Day: *Rolls back yet another mechanic to D&D implementation* My empire... crumbled to dust before my eyes... :mixedemotions:

Funny, but it's weird how people seem to forget or disregard the fact that D&D doesn't have a stat that increases spell damage. The big difference between PoE and D&D isn't that Might affects spell damage instead of Intellect, it's that you can affect it at all. And that's not changing here.

I get it, it's more of a "spirit of the game" thing, but still...

Sentinel

Arcane
Which attributes govern which combat stats & mechanics doesn't matter anywhere near as much as how those mechanics actually work.
True, but common sense would dictate that renaming Might back to Strength would always imply/need a change in what the attribute does mechanically, so I just didn't mention it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Rename strength in to POWER! Then make it useful for everything. When you got true POWER you will able to give move propelling force to bullets because your muscles are so massive that you can throw the bullets at the moment of firing.

Ent

Savant
I believe the newer editions of dnd do have stats increasing spell damage - but nobody really talks about them here.

Quillon

Arcane
Roll back the yet to be applied patch; instead of continuously trying to make that one stat not a dump one, remove resolve and put the bonuses in other, now the magic number 5 stats and whatever resolve left in the game; in dialogue or whatever, bake it into a skill, call it determination or something and :ehue:.

BilboBaggins

Educated
Sawyer is being far more reactive to internet bitching than I would have thought.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm starting to suspect we're looking at a 6 month beta and a summer release.

More like a Spring release, but a playable version by Fall.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
People talking about that there should be only 4 stats or 5 while this is how pick perfomance of atrubute systems look like, like you it or not decent attribute system for me:

latest

This system in fact heavy modification of D&D system, so if people really want "just like in D&D, but better" there we go. This system allows incredibly amount of possible combinations, so everyone from sly diplomats to hardcore combat fanatics of various combat styles would be satisfied. Ofc it's not flawless, but at least it not feels so castrated, as system with 6 attributes, where only 2 dps stats and other dump stats, which would be not useful, except 2-3 dialog options. I understand that some people love fill their party with orlans with spears and godlike creatures and play game again and again with same party and same weapons, but there should be different styles, not "that one holy meta". My opinion that attribute system should allow more variability and represent aspects of game world, not being restriction of player's choice "for sake of holy balance".

Or we can go with system without attributes, this can be even more better, but how should be look this realization is another question.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Arcanum was mechanically terrible in every way

Me: *Let's share my opinion about attributes in games*

You: "Arcanum is terrible in every way"

Look, I don't want to start flame about Arcanum in PoE2 discussion, but I want just want to ask - in real life you too mess around every person in store with different preferences for products? Like run towards people and scream "How could you like that toilet paper? It's terrible in every way!" *proceed being kicked from store by security*. I never claimed that mechanic was flawless, but your statement sound really selfish and arrogant, because you not added "it's just my opinion". And your opinion, just have weight as much as my opinion on such matter.

Besides I was not meant that realization should be exactly like in Arcanum, because PoE is different game. I just wanted to say that attribute system should allow variability and not cut some playstyles, just because "holy D&D book told so" After all, PoE world not part of D&D setting, so rules not should be exactly being same. Also RPG stand for role-playing game, not "min max orlan spear build and godlike creatures only" game where you spend hours to watch video guide to realize that you can't be efficient human rogue because devs somehow decided that attributes cannot be improved after character creation and human race cannot have good thief guilds. Disability to improve attributes after character creation is also thing which I personally don't like, because in real life all attributes can be improved - from strength to charisma (like for con and stg you going in gym, int - book and etc.)

It's all just my opinion. I know for someone it can sounds insane, like "Wtf I am reading, how dare he disagree with *insert something popular*" But in the end, I can admit my mistakes if I misunderstood something.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also if you feel harassed by such a comment.. boy are you in the wrong forum

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom