Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Beamdog announce Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

ArchAngel

Arcane
Best parts of Red Alert 3 was also the cutscenes.
And it was also main reason why C&C Generals was less popular at first (until people figured out it has best PvP)

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Kind of an interesting part of the PC games history, right? Nobody would do that anymore. It's endearing to watch this again. Heck, I might even replay Wing Commander 3 and 4 and enjoy those Mark Hamill idle cutscenes.

I'm curious about the figures behind this. I don't remember prices quadrupling or anything, yet making a game with up to 2h of film, including always a couple famous actors, doesn't sound cheap. I wonder if it made companies go broke?

Cross

Arcane
I'm curious about the figures behind this. I don't remember prices quadrupling or anything, yet making a game with up to 2h of film, including always a couple famous actors, doesn't sound cheap. I wonder if it made companies go broke?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commander_III:_Heart_of_the_Tiger
Wing Commander III ultimately cost $4 million to produce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commander_IV:_The_Price_of_Freedom
WCIV was produced on the then-unheard-of-for-a-video-game budget of $12 million USD. The majority of this budget went into the production of the game's full motion video scenes, which were shot on actual sets instead of a greenscreen and using 35mm film instead of digital capture.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
According to wikipedia list of best sold games, WC3 sold 1 million copies. If I remember correctly games costed around 30-35 bucks back then? Sounds like they did well.

Dunno, maybe in the promised land of AmeriKKKa. I paid 119 dollars for WC3 in 1995 in Australia. Worth every penny. :smug: In fact though, most games were 59.99 to 89.99 range even then.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
NWN was such a letdown. It was birthed as a true multiplayer DnD experience so you could make and share modules with your DnD friends, but it felt like a single player game with a tacked-on, shitty companion system.

Black

Arcane
Yeah, early days of any technology tend to do that. I remember the days when CD games arrived, and suddenly every game needed 3 hours of cutscenes with real actors.
That was pretty awesome, though.
I mean... there were people not loving all those wonderful cheesy C&C, Emperor: Battle for Dune, MechWarrior 4, etc. scenes?
I really miss them. Much better than most in-game stuff.
Westwood cutscenes were on whole other level.
Still <3

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
This is low, even for Beamdog. It's just a glorified patch ffs! They did not touch the graphics, animations, UI, nothing. No new added content. That's lazy as fuck.
I guess their plan is to charge suckers for the game they have probably already bought twice (physical + gog) and sell them some more "premium modules" with tranny orcs fuckin teen elves. I guess now they will decide that even IWD2 EE is doable, 2 crucial bugfixes + repacked installer = killer release. Mystery is what they will do after NWN2 and IWD2 when there is nothing more to "enhance"? :lol:

I'm disappointed with this cash grab. I really liked NWN (played at the time of release), dispite its flaws. It did not matched the BG series, but I had my share of releax and fun playing the game and especially some top-quality community mods!

ArchAngel

Arcane
At this point Beamdog are a group of people that raid an elephant graveyard, get all the bones into right places, put a sheet of linen colored into elephant skin over it and sell it to some Zoos (suckers)

Someone needs to put a stop to their unholy ways :argh:

Black

Arcane
My sources tell me that through Beamdawg's amazing patching Lady Arbeit has grown a magnificent schlong.

UnknownBro

Savant
A $20 texture pack, and a really bad one. What a shameless ripoff.
Those are even the same low poly models from the original!

I don't know what's worse, these amateurish modders calling themselves "developers" or the consumers that buy eat their products crap.

:outrage:

ArchAngel

Arcane

I don't know what's worse, these amateurish modders calling themselves "developers" or the consumers that buy eat their products crap.

What texture pack, you don't even get that.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

What texture pack, you don't even get that.
Probably the texture in the loading screen that adds a Beamdog logo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom