Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also wtf are they thinking making spells cost 6 seconds to cast. 6-9 seconds a rogue can drop a dragon or lich. 6 seconds to cast a spell that does shit damage or pointless debuff.

Pointless debuff? Like 40 point Accuracy/defence advantage? With triple damage to affected enemy maybe? If it's anything like PoE1 anyway.

:philosoraptor:

Casters are going to be more worthless here they were in tyranny for most of the game and that is insane.

Casters worthless in Tyranny? Whoa....

:what:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, after the removal of the great Health attrition mechanic, removal of spell system uniqueness and their fusion with feats and removal of general feats, now he managed to nerf both of my favorite classes in one go: the Cipher and the Barbarian (with Might boosted healing over time effects). Way to go, Sawyer.

I'm starting to regret that for PoE2 I broke my personal rule never to preorder.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
I still wish they'd softcap injuries by making each one debuff you and allowing them to stack without limits, so there's no permadeath (players will just reload anyway) but the more you get knocked out the worse you get in combat, so resting is still useful.

E: that would also open the door for fun stuff, like all-injury challenge runs or achievements for getting various types of injuries at once

Shadenuat

Arcane
Now to split physical ranged damage and abilities into PER and finally system won't be retarded.

Could probably make some spells be affected by MightStrength. Like Parasitic Staff and such. Heck, maybe even physical damage spells could be like that. Just need some fluff explanashuns. Strength/Per wizard.

Hm, maybe not pure damage, but crit chance... or maybe even Penetration. A stat affecting Penetration on spells or ranged attacks would be p. important.

But uh oh, that's actually careful deliberate design, where every class can use every stat, but he has like

TAKE CERTAIN THINGS AND MAKE CORRECT DECISIONS ON WHAT TO USE
instead of pumping MIG to TWENTIH
you know

like most more or less advanced and decent systems work, instead of system where everything is done via copy pasted shitty broad brush strokes eh?

Concidering they managed an impossible - to make pure wizords feel worse than in AD&D, because at least in AD&D you also had 1-2 spells for a while but also had half a dozen more in spellbook and could re-memorise different spells to fit into different encounter, - my hopes are very, very low.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
Even among people who hate the game I've certainly never seen anyone say White March and the 3.0 patch are worse than the base game at launch.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Now to split physical ranged damage and abilities into PER and finally system won't be retarded.

Could probably make some spells be affected by MightStrength. Like Parasitic Staff and such.
Summoned weapons are governed by STR.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Could probably make some spells be affected by MightStrength. Like Parasitic Staff and such.
Summoned weapons are governed by STR.
Well cuz you hit with dem in CC. And even if their base damage is affected by STR, question is, is it that much that you want more STR than DEX? It must be powerful enough that you want STR for you summoned weapons for realz.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well cuz you hit with dem in CC. And even if their base damage is affected by STR, question is, is it that much that you want more STR than DEX? It must be powerful enough that you want STR for you summoned weapons for realz.

That's what I meant, that STR affects the damage of summoned weapons. Whether there is a point to pumping STR for them is another matter.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So, I get the distinct notion that you lot are cautiously enthousiastic. Although all the combat blah blah doesn't interest me that much. How is the gameplay, the sailing, how interesting are encounters, what's the quality of quests and most important, are you having fun?

BilboBaggins

Educated
the josh, fixing what ain't broken

since 2012

:salute:

240zqef.png

mortimermcmire

Literate
So, I get the distinct notion that you lot are cautiously enthousiastic. Although all the combat blah blah doesn't interest me that much. How is the gameplay, the sailing, how interesting are encounters, what's the quality of quests and most important, are you having fun?
the encounters and mechanics themselves feel good, what's left is the balancing phase we're in now. All of the tools are there for a great game. the itemization is much better than poe1 (stat suppression on items was NOT a fun mechanic), the quests and dialogue are very beta-like but good overall. The concept of an island archipelago allows a wide variety of different islands/cultures to theoretically coexist in one game. Unfortunately because it's a beta you won't actually see that variety, but the beta ranges from forest to tropical island to desert and caves pretty well. I like the painted style of the dialogue portraits a lot.

the bad:
the sailing and overworld travel is unbearably slow. none of the ship mechanics/random ship encounters are in the game yet so not sure how that would affect it. When you're exploring the overworld there are "points of interest" that end up being nothing more than resource gathering. Sailing across the map, disembarking, and traversing an island for five mushrooms feels like a big waste of time.

am I having fun? yes, but almost all of my time has been spent seeing how I and everyone else can eventually mod the game into whatever we want it to be. Because nobody knows game balance more than the players ;)

Elex

Arbiter
Now that I think of it, "no bad builds" as a design priority seems designed specifically for a dice roll system where you can end up with any mix of stats. It makes less sense to me that every stat would need to be useful for every character when I am building the character from scratch anyway.

It was for the sake of simplicity (common question while playing D&D RPG: "Wait, does Strength affect the damage of bows too? Like, how hard you pull the bowstring? Not sure...") and elegance ("Why shouldn't I make all of the stats be useful to every class?")

Also for letting you choose whatever stats you want for roleplaying and stat check purposes.

It would also be good for a game that lets you multiclass in the middle of the game (thus potentially gaining abilities that don't fit well with your initial stats), but that's not relevant here.
hey bow use STR based check literally since forever.

Penelope, to put an end to the solicitations of the suitors, proposes to marry the person who shall first bend the bow of Ulysses, and shoot through the ringlets. After their attempts have proved ineffectual, Ulysses, taking Eumæus and Philætius apart, discovers himself to them; then returning, desires leave to try his strength at the bow, which, though refused with indignation by the suitors, Penelope and Telemachus cause to be delivered to his hands. He bends it immediately, and shoots through all the rings. Jupiter at the same instant thunders from heaven; Ulysses accepts the omen, and gives a sign to Telemachus, who stands ready armed at his side.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I like how Sawyer always keeps a cool head when faced with the initial butthurt of his design decisions.
I'm not 100% on board with how he approaches game design, but I appreciate the fact he's very much open about his work.
I still have no idea how this change will affect save imports though, or if it reveals anything about save import (like the ability to remake the pc during transition). It's gonna feel weird either way.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm pretty sure they are going to give you the ability to remake your PC from the ground-up, only being unable to change race, sex, nationality and background.

mortimermcmire

Literate
anything that can be imported will be able to be created at the start, importing a save is just a shortcut. There's also a "I don't care about poe1 choices, just give me some defaults" option for the lazy/hard to please ;)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I thought Might affecting all damage was dumb, so I'm willing to see how this change plays out in beta.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I said since the start of the Pillars of Eternity beta that melee damage output and ranged damage output should be governed by two different stats. Put spell damage on intellect while we are at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom