Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I took a quick break to finish my Total Warhammer 2 playthrough.

So, any combination of multiclassing standing out so far? What combination have you used?

This is my custom party now:

- Crusader (Unbroken/ The Shieldbearers of St Elcga)
- Liberator (Lifegiver/ Darcozzi Paladini)
- Hunter (Devoted/ Sharpshooter)
- Swashbuckler (Devoted/ Streetfighter)
- Hierophant (Illusionist/ Beguiler)

The Crusader, Swashbuckler and Hierophant are doing really great. I need to observe others better. The Hunter is melting down in almost every encounter.

Swashbuckler was the Oprah of critical strikes. You get a crit, you get a crit, everyone get's a crit. The fighter tank subclass/St. Elcga is an amazing tank in my opinion, especially on PotD. I also tried shape-shifter/barbarian (subclass that can damage party members) with decent results. For a time, it was doing an immense amount of damage, although I miss micro'd and caused massive damage to my own party in the process of the spore fight.

How did you use/play Hierophant?

I used it basically as crowd control. I still need to play more often to better understand how everything works. But at first, it worked very well.

I made a simple build by playing one of PoE1. Moon godlike, Old Vailia, Artist. (18-17-18-3-21-3).

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Without general talents, I think most characters will still end up with more build options than in the first game because they have subclasses. General talents would be nice, though.

Sawyer said that he was going to add them back in through the proficiency system, in case you're not aware.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Without general talents, I think most characters will still end up with more build options than in the first game because they have subclasses. General talents would be nice, though.

Sawyer said that he was going to add them back in through the proficiency system, in case you're not aware.
Cool, I hadn’t heard that. Thanks!

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
So Pope Amole II confirms my suspicions dual-wield would be really broken in this game when penetration is percentage based and scale better with armour recovery speed penalty, less spots for enchantments too of course. Two-handed weapons will need to do more than double the damage of single-handed weapons to compensate.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So Pope Amole II confirms my suspicions dual-wield would be really broken in this game when penetration is percentage based and scale better with armour recovery speed penalty, less spots for enchantments too of course. Two-handed weapons will need to do more than double the damage of single-handed weapons to compensate.
Which is kind a strange. In my book a double handed hammer have more penetration than two daggers.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Maybe they should make double weapons do medium damage and have some defence bonus,while two handed to do big damage with no defence bonus and maybe even negative. One hand with shield should be lowest damage with biggest defence.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ah yes the classic dual dagger wielding heavy plate wearing warrior.

Reminds me of a playthrough of BG1 I did where I gave a full-plated Minsc that poison dagger that does an additional 15 points of damage over time per hit, one of the most damaging weapons in the game. There was no reason not to! http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Dagger_of_Venom

With varying attack speeds and armor recovery penalties, PoE is actually trying to give you incentives to pick a classic archetype. The incentives just need tweaking.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Maybe they should make double weapons do medium damage and have some defence bonus,while two handed to do big damage with no defence bonus and maybe even negative. One hand with shield should be lowest damage with biggest defence.

Two weapons having defence value over two-handed weapons is stupid from a larp perspective.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Two weapons having defence value over two-handed weapons is stupid from a larp perspective.
Well it is a game,there is a small need of a balance. Having one style being to op is kind of bad. In reality two handed weapons are pretty useless outside duels. Most warriors would have gone for a shield and long sword or spear given the choice. Also the idea of two weapons combat is to deflect/block the attack with one weapon and attack with the other at the same time.

FreeKaner

In reality two handed weapons are pretty useless outside duels. Most warriors would have gone for a shield and long sword or spear given the choice. Also the idea of two weapons combat is to deflect/block the attack with one weapon and attack with the other at the same time.

These are all conjecture and not very accurate ones at that.

Well it is a game,there is a small need of a balance. Having one style being to op is kind of bad.

This is fair but it can be implemented in better ways. I think giving two-handed weapons bigger damage values so they do what they are supposed to do from a gameplay perspective is better, I.E infrequent big hits. As opposed to single-weapon & shield (which was superior in PoE1) for defence and two-weapons for more on-hit modifiers and better against light armour.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Two-handed weapons will need to do more than double the damage of single-handed weapons to compensate.

Theoretically, their only hope is to get at so much attack speed bonuses that the basic speed distinction becomes void. I.e., to stack 90% of recovery reduction on them and then they'll be much better than duals. It doesn't seem possible to do in the current beta, especially since many of the action buffs now are not the recovery speed but action speed (which seems to be something that your post-recovery attack gets divided on).

Ent

Savant
So according to this video classes are super front loaded damage wise and multiclassing trumps single because of it. Sounds sorta like 3.5.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In reality two handed weapons are pretty useless outside duels. Most warriors would have gone for a shield and long sword or spear given the choice. Also the idea of two weapons combat is to deflect/block the attack with one weapon and attack with the other at the same time.

These are all conjecture and not very accurate ones at that.

Well it is a game,there is a small need of a balance. Having one style being to op is kind of bad.

This is fair but it can be implemented in better ways. I think giving two-handed weapons bigger damage values so they do what they are supposed to do from a gameplay perspective is better, I.E infrequent big hits. As opposed to single-weapon & shield (which was superior in PoE1) for defence and two-weapons for more on-hit modifiers and better against light armour.
On the first one could go for friendly banter,but lets focus on the game ;) .

I would go for two handers having bigger bonus vs heavy armour than light armour. If they were going for authenticity they should make rapier and other piercing weapons do bonus damage vs plate armour.

FreeKaner

Two-handed weapons seem to have more penetration value, however at full penetration it doesn't matter at all, it could be good if significant amount penetration over the threshold possessed a damage bonus, which would give more damage at higher values.

Still I think DR system was better, they could have used DR and penetration could be a percentage bypass.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Two-handed weapons seem to have more penetration value, however at full penetration it doesn't matter at all, it could be good if significant amount penetration over the threshold possessed a damage bonus, which would give more damage at higher values.

Still I think DR system was better, they could have used DR and penetration could be a percentage bypass.
Over penetration should give some kind of bonus. Maybe a crit chance or stun chance.

Prime Junta

Over penetration should give some kind of bonus. Maybe a crit chance or stun chance.

There is a damage bonus.

jungl

Augur
from what I seen dual wielding will be strong in this one cause of the 30 percent more damage added to over pen. Late game in pillars it already outscaled 2 handed fighting. devoted streetfighter will be a stupid strong auto attack crit monster. 30 percent more damage is too much.

Also wtf are they thinking making spells cost 6 seconds to cast. 6-9 seconds a rogue can drop a dragon or lich. 6 seconds to cast a spell that does shit damage or pointless debuff. Casters are going to be more worthless here they were in tyranny for most of the game and that is insane. Casters in pillars are not DnD wizards I don't know why josh so scared of making them viable and fun to play.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Resolve having both deflection, heal and spell damage sounds really overkill. They should remove spell damage from it. Specifically, I think spell damage should not be affected directly by attributes at all if they scale with power source already.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Does that mean imported characters can reajust characteristics ? Or does that doom damage-dealing wizard builds (or forces them to use summoned weapons) ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom