Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's your favourite modern RPG?

kintake

Savant
If the answer isn't Grimoire, then it was all for naught.
Grimoire gave us the light, delivered us from darkness.

I had a dream. In my dream I saw myself walking along a beach, leaving footprints in the sand, each footprint a reflection on my life thus far. I saw Grimoire walking by my side, leaving footprints in tandem with my own. Yet, on further inspection, I noticed something peculiar. Grimoire only walked with me in times of happiness and bliss, never in times of despair. How could such a thing be, I asked Grimoire, how could you abandon me when I needed you the most? Grimoire spoke thus: The footprints you see in your time of need, are not your footprints, but mine; as I carry you in my arms, my child. I awoke, weeping, for truly I am blessed.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Dragonfall Director's Cut
Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition
Age of Decadence
Darkest Dungeon

I'll update this once I'm done with Wasteland 2.

Modron

Arcane
Favorites
AoD
Underrail
Dragonfall
Tale of Wuxia series
Expeditions Viking
Fallout of Nevada mod
Elex.

Last couple of years have been really dry as far as RPG precipitation is concerned so you're not going to see much diversity in suggestions. 2015 in particular would have been a terrible year if AoD and Underrail hadn't come out towards the end of it.

Worth a mention stuff
The Witcher 3, Serpent in the Staglands, I wasn't as impressed by Divinity: Original Sin as a lot of other posters so I haven't really given the sequel a chance yet, Wasteland 2, and a bit of stretch Warlock of Firetop Mountain.

Geckabor

Savant
E L E X
L
E
X

D:OS is another contender, the combat system was quite a treat.
Haven't spent enough time on AoD/DR or Underrail yet to say if they are contenders.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What's with all the votes for Underrail..... That game was shit people, get a clue. Terrible chore quests (catching 'hoppers' with a net, really?!) The combat was stupid, pew pew pew, reload, pew pew pew, reload. The character building was shit too. The running into the caves, running back to the base, running back to the caves, running back to the base. Someone should just make a game with an endless tunnel for people to 'run' though with right click. I am sure it would sell thousands of copies.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I find it interesting how people cannot pick a favourite, but instead feel the need to choose 5 or 6 different RPGs. Maybe that is so they can insulate themselves from any criticism they may or may not receive via their choice of favourite (which is more contentious than top 5/6).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
By Codex definitions of release dates, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2016; though it was really released in 2013 on the PS3, expanded from a 2012 game), which is my favorite due to its incomparably excellent real-time, action-based combat system, and competent design in other areas. By true release dates, Legend of Grimrock II for its exploration and puzzles.

Honorable mentions to Age of Decadence (C&C), Salt & Sanctuary (combat), and Grimoire (exploration).

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Age of Decadence, its what brought me here -- definitely not why its my favorite modern rpg, in fact that's a great reason to hate it -- its also the only modern rpg I've played for over 2 hours. Hard to keep interest in anything but bud and booze these days.

tfw 2014 and newer is modern RPG.

:stunned:
Exactly. What am I doing with my life? I never asked for this...

Last edited by a moderator:

Geckabor

Savant
I like how the people complaining about the choices in here have conveniently not mentioned their own :M

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
What's with all the votes for Underrail..... That game was shit people, get a clue. Terrible chore quests (catching 'hoppers' with a net, really?!) The combat was stupid, pew pew pew, reload, pew pew pew, reload. The character building was shit too. The running into the caves, running back to the base, running back to the caves, running back to the base. Someone should just make a game with an endless tunnel for people to 'run' though with right click. I am sure it would sell thousands of copies.
24e.gif

With that out of the way, has to be be Age of decadence with Underrail coming in a strong second.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I like how the people complaining about the choices in here have conveniently not mentioned their own :M
Well I can't comment until I play DoS2 and Grimoire. And also some shit like Elex which I really don't want to play. But I pretty think much every game mentioned in this thread is total trash. Except Blackguards and DoS1 which were quite good.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Underrail
Fallout mods (Nevada and Ressurection)
Grimoire:positive:
Dark Souls
Age of Decadence (havent played much yet)

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Witcher 3 + 2 expansions,

Fallout 1.5: Ressurection (actually first it was released in October 2013, but the English version is from 2016, so...), hopefully Nevada will occupy the place too.

Pillars of Eternity + 2 expansions,

Age of Decadence (a pity it's so short),

Haven't played Underrail and Serpent in the Staglands yet.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Grimoire
SR: Dragonfall
Underrail
D:OS2

Every other game I've tried to play I ended up uninstalling within 2 hours.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Let's go with the big list, since at least we got some real RPGs among the very last years :
- Heroine's Quest : skill gameplay at its best
- Blackguards : the best combat experience. Somewhat compensates the unfortunate lack of proper exploration by well crafted and often unique battlefields
- Divinity : Original Sin : very fun combat experience too with more tendencies toward degenerate gameplay and then a little less balanced, which makes the first half more fun than the second half, which is still fun ; exploration is also fun for the most part
- Legend of Grimrock 2 : nice compact open-world, very good puzzles, the skill system and different enemies makes the combat not that bad
- Voidspire Tactics : a job system, the combat is good if probably not as good as in Blackguards and D:OS but the compact open-world is particularly good with a lot of secrets to unlock via fun interactions with environnement
- Wasteland 2 : a bunch of everything, party creation, exploration, turn-based combat and skill uses, I'm a simple man who doesn't ask much more than that
- Swords and sorcery - underworld : ditto
- Neo scavenger : not exactly a classic experience, and a good one, very cool atmosphere and interactions, I love the game although I'm bad at it
- Serpent in the staglands : good overall old-school experience, especially the investigation part and the interactions with the environnement, combat is not particularly good especially compared with the turn-based games above but the character system kinda makes for it, like experimenting the different spells at their high-level power

- Elminage Gothic : big satisfying Wizardry experience, the character system, itemization, combat and level design are all good
- Labyrinth of Touhou 2 : amazing boss fights, and there are a lot, party management is at its best too

I'm probably forgetting a couple of games and I've yet to play a lot of other ones, especially Grimoire and D:OS2.

Last edited:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
No "modern" RPG is giving me the amount of fun i am having with Adom, Caves of Qud and other roguelikes:love:

Last mainstream rpg which was good is:

FALLOUT NEW VEGAS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom