Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Why the fuck do people like this game's soundtrack so much? It's garbage. It's generic WUBWUB DISTORTION WUBWUB GUITARS AND DRUMS with some throwbacks to Doom 1 and 2 and people dare to call it good or the best OST ever. Drives me up the wall, it might be an acceptable OST if your standards are lower than Nodar's but if you have ever heard music in your life and aren't apart of the 10 year old GAYMER crowd with your Razer xXxTURBOSLAYERxXx headsets and DEATHKILLADDER mice then you should consider it of zero musical value.

soulburner

Cipher
This game's music sounds awesome... for the first 30 seconds or so. Not only it's not engaging or any good, it's a typical example of a loudness war type of production that is very fatiguing to the ear.
I really do wonder why musicians and producers do that. The hunt for making songs louder and louder should be over ages ago when limits of digital audio were reached. I mean, doesn't a producer see that any audio engineering software will mark clipped samples in red, showing them as an error?

So... this soundtrack probably wouldn't be any better if it had better production, but it would be much, much less irritating.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think I predicted somewhere before that new first-person shooters inspired by the success of nuDoom wouldn't innovate away from linear cinematic setpiece action back to the ol' ultraviolence, but instead just rip off nuDoom. And then we got Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus which straight up ripped off its permadeath difficulty setting and its Glory Kill system without the part where you regain any health or ammo, so you just get to perform cool kills while being completely vulnerable which is completely detrimental to your survival, there's zero point to it.

People were expecting with fast first-person shooters like nuDoom and Titanfall 2 for a revival for the fun shooters of yore, but Respawn Entertainment got bought out by EA so Titanfall 3 is bound to get completely infected with DLC and MTX, id mostly fluked their way through with nuDoom by appealing to an audience starved for ultraviolent first-person shooters who because of their hunger overlooked everything contradictory about the game, the rest of the industry seems keen enough to keep publishing looter shooters focused on deep stories and more unbalanced multiplayer action, whereas most indie developers just have no clue what to innovate on and have yet to grow out of the roguelite phase. It's like the brief '07 RPG renaissance all over again.

Why the fuck do people like this game's soundtrack so much? It's garbage. It's generic WUBWUB DISTORTION WUBWUB GUITARS AND DRUMS with some throwbacks to Doom 1 and 2 and people dare to call it good or the best OST ever. Drives me up the wall, it might be an acceptable OST if your standards are lower than Nodar's but if you have ever heard music in your life and aren't apart of the 10 year old GAYMER crowd with your Razer xXxTURBOSLAYERxXx headsets and DEATHKILLADDER mice then you should consider it of zero musical value.
According to Mick Gordon, this is what a final boss theme should sound like:

Nothin' final 'bout it. It sounds indistinguishable in tone from the rest of the battle themes and somehow comes off as less intense than most of them. Nor would you gauge just by listening this theme without knowing its context that it could play during a final boss fight, because it doesn't sound remotely climactic (just because the boss fight itself was incredibly anti-climactic doesn't give it a free pass). Meanwhile elsewhere:

This game's music sounds awesome... for the first 30 seconds or so. Not only it's not engaging or any good, it's a typical example of a loudness war type of production that is very fatiguing to the ear.
I really do wonder why musicians and producers do that. The hunt for making songs louder and louder should be over ages ago when limits of digital audio were reached. I mean, doesn't a producer see that any audio engineering software will mark clipped samples in red, showing them as an error?

So... this soundtrack probably wouldn't be any better if it had better production, but it would be much, much less irritating.
It's so fucking loud that it's actively detrimental to the gameplay. You can barely hear what's going on around you because of the loud music and poor audio mixing (on top of zero effort going into positional sound design), and in a first-person shooter where your field of view is limited and enemies are constantly swarming around your flanks, you really want to hear what's going on around you.

soulburner

Cipher
It's so fucking loud that it's actively detrimental to the gameplay. You can barely hear what's going on around you because of the loud music and poor audio mixing (on top of zero effort going into positional sound design), and in a first-person shooter where your field of view is limited and enemies are constantly swarming around your flanks, you really want to hear what's going on around you.
The audio mixing in the game itself is indeed terrible. It's probably the first first person game in which I have no clue where an enemy is. The monster sounds are indistinguishable from each other or from the ambience. It's just constant noise all over. If there's a firefight or if there's a moment of absolute calm - the volume almost remains the same. Grenades don't EXPLODE, they make a "puff". I thought I might be getting old and deaf, but in games like classic Doom or Quake 1/2/3 sound so crisp and clear...

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Prey has good ambient soundtrack stuff going on, but the big tracks are crap. The intro song is paint-by-numbers Simpsonwave and the end credits song is really underwhelming.

passerby

Arcane
The audio mixing in the game itself is indeed terrible. It's probably the first first person game in which I have no clue where an enemy is. The monster sounds are indistinguishable from each other or from the ambience. It's just constant noise all over. If there's a firefight or if there's a moment of absolute calm - the volume almost remains the same. Grenades don't EXPLODE, they make a "puff". I thought I might be getting old and deaf, but in games like classic Doom or Quake 1/2/3 sound so crisp and clear...

Sounds very familliar...

One asshole once released a "HD" sound pack for Quake 1. It was basically a compilation of sound files from some libraries.
Lets forget how "fitting" these sounds were, there was another problem.
All ambient sounds were super loud, for example flickering light at the beginning of E1M1 was like a phone ring piercing your ears.
Reducing volume for ambient sounds to become tolerable, made all weapons and explosions super quiet.

What happened ?

Files in sound libraries usually utilize all available loudness range, in order to retain as much as possible information from the original recording.
Because If they made ambient sounds quiet, but someone wanted them loud and edited back, quality (resolution) of the original would be degraded.
So it's up to an user to adjust volume.

Function call for a sound file takes in volume variable as an argument and for games easiest way to iterate on it, is by adjusting a single variable in the code imo.
That way you can also easily use the same file with different volume for different purposes, without having to edit files in a sound software.
But since Trent was working on the sound independently and cannot into code, he just adjusted volume of the files before passing them to id and they are all called at volume 1 in the code.

The files in this atrocious sound pack were utilizing all loudness range straight from a sound library, while all sounds are called at the same volume in Quake code.
Effect was exactly like you describe...

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

nuDoom is so bad that it makes Doom 3 look like the best thing ever. Jesus Christ what a shit game. It's even worse than all these other linear, cutscene after cutscene, popamole shooters of our day, because it pretends to be something which it is not: oldschool. It is anything but. At least most of these other modern shit shooters don't try to hide how retarded they are.

nuDoom is a pathetic Painkiller clone with worse everything, superflous updgrade and glory kill systems which are detrimental to an already abysmal experience. Everything is supposed to be oldschool but misses the mark completely. Shitty pseudo hardcore soundtrack, shitty pseudo fast paced movement that requires no skill whatsoever. Pseudo oldschool health and ammo management with pickups which unfortunately is totally trivialised and made redundant by the glory-kill system and the chainsaw shit, which are basically QTEs that interrupt gameplay, but which the game is balanced around on higher difficulties. So why are the ammo and health pickups there again? Oh right: "Dude, we made a real oldskool shooter!" One room after another with uninspired arena encouters and it gets more boring and painful with each room. Level design and layout so boring that even most clones of the original Doom look like award-winning masterpieces. Mission objectives, quest compass, challenges and rune challenges complete the disastrous single player experience. And the multiplayer is so atrocious that I don't even want to address it. The decline is real. Holy shit.

Even before playing myself I was pretty sure this would probably be bad. But boy I had no idea it could be that bad. Fuck. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dayyālu

Arcane
nuDoom is so bad that it makes Doom 3 look like the best thing ever. Jesus Christ what a shit game. It's even worse than all these other linear, cutscene after cutscene, popamole shooters of our day, because it pretends to be something which it is not: oldschool. It is anything but. At least most of these other modern shit shooters don't try to hide how retarded they are.

AHAHAHAHA LEMME LAUGH AT YOU

Doom3 has only one positive, wait, two positives: Athmosphere and for the time a good engine. I dig a lot the "Sci-fi with Satan" thing they went with. From the gameplay perspective, Doom3 is abysmal and I laugh at you if you consider NuDoom superior. Doom3 is a horror game without horror (compare with Fear, same age) a cinematic game without cinematic scenes (compare Half Life 2) and it utterly lacks any kind of tempo or level design. To think that someone has HAND PLACED all the monster cabinets and shitty Imps that hit you when you open a door is mind boggling. Guns lack weight. Encounter design is drab and maps are fucking small.

nuDoom is a pathetic Painkiller clone with worse everything, superflous updgrade and glory kill systems which are detrimental to an already abysmal experience.

What Painkiller we're talking about? nuDoom is inferior to roughly 80% of the original Painkiller, it's superior in design to the last 20% of Painkiller and all Painkiller's expansions. I'll be here if you feel the need to defend Painkiller's exp packs, or the levels done by the original devs when they were clearly sick of the game. Tell me the Orphanage is well designed.

Shitty pseudo hardcore soundtrack,

On this, i agree. Soundtrack is weak.

shitty pseudo fast paced movement that requires no skill whatsoever. Pseudo oldschool health and ammo management with pickups which unfortunately is totally trivialised and made redundant by the glory-kill system and the chainsaw shit, which are basically QTEs that interrupt gameplay, but which the game is balanced around on higher difficulties.

It's a interesting mechanic, yes. The fact that higher difficulties supposedly require the use of the chainsaw and glory kills is a weird evolution of a system stolen from Brutal Doom. Movement is excellent compared to most contemporary shooters, and I got old and cranky enough to appreciate when a game helps me when I miss a ledge for 10 cm. Sure, "no skill", but it's fucking SP and I'm too old to withstand first person platformers.

Level design and layout so boring that even most clones of the original Doom look like award-winning masterpieces.

Like? Most Doom clones and game of their era are award-winning masterpieces (Build 3d games, Hexen, Strife). Bad Doom clones like forgotten 90ies shooters? Have you ever had the disgrace of trying them? Mazes of randomly put together graphics?

NuDoom I would say rises to be almost as good as an original Doom mod. It's as fun and mindless as its father, Brutal Doom.

Mission objectives, quest compass, challenges and rune challenges complete the disastrous single player experience. And the multiplayer is so atrocious that I don't even want to address it. The decline is real. Holy shit.

:edgy:

Even before playing myself I was pretty sure this would probably be bad. But boy I had no idea it could be that bad. Fuck. :/

Your rant is a rant. Make good points about the game. Like, point out the problems with weapon balance, the fact they run out of new enemies types roughly 75% in the game, how combat arenas always have a tad too few enemies, the problems with boss fights.... critiques, not ranting GAME IS BAD MMMKAY

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I put two hours into the game and it's bad.

Level design, weapons and mobs are somewhat ok. The main issue is that it's boring. There is no tension and you cannot die cause Glory-shit. I only died a couple of times because I tried to climb on weird places.

Multi-player is retarded. The movement is artificially fucked up for some reason. Or I cannot get used to it after years of CS:Go and Overwatch.

Unwanted

nodar

Unwanted
Shitposter
@Dayyalu

He's a tryhard tard, but you're no less of one yourself for you shallow shitting on Doom 3. Here, educate yourself

Quatlo

Arcane
Doom 3 has the shittiest, most anemic shotgun in history of gaming, which makes it automatically a terrible game.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Doom 3 has the shittiest, most anemic shotgun in history of gaming, which makes it automatically a terrible game.
no, that honour goes to quake 4

They are both terrible. Quake IV gets points in trying to be a game, Doom3 is a schizo project that suffers from an identity crisis (I want to be an horror game! I want to be an heir to Doom! I want to be Half Life!) and subpar design all around.

Quake IV at least tried with boss fights that are merely boring (Shoot at the Giant Strogg until it dies) instead of asinine (Doom3's Cyberdemon is a blight) and with vehicle sections.

He's a tryhard tard, but you're no less of one yourself for you shallow shitting on Doom 3. Here, educate yourself

Summarize the video and make your points. I'm too old to waste 33 mins in seeing a Youtube video about Doom3. I'm curious how it can be defended: Doom3 got since release flak.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think people are giving nuDoom too much credit for saying it's a shitty Painkiller clone, considering Painkiller never even had the decency to put more than two types of enemies on the screen and have them utilize the environment in some meaningful way.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom