Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguelike First-person shooter roguelikes?

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I downloaded "Hellgate: London" after watching this review..

..and it turns out: I really like FPS roguelikes!

The perfect way to quickly kill some time while you are stressed out. I mean the melee sucks but gunning down and blowing up millions of demons is very satisfying.

Are there any other games like this? I.e. Roguelikes with a FPS interface?

Note I don't mean "FPS with RPG elements". I know there are tons of those. I mean a game with procedural level / monster / loot generation.

EDIT: To clarify I mean single-player games, not some online multiplayer game.

grimace

Arcane
Depths of Fear :: Knossos, a Greek-themed, 1st Person, Roguelike stealthy action-adventure where you play as Theseus out to kill the rampaging horror the Minotaur. Succeed in the beast’s slaughter or learn the meaning of fear trying. You will run. You will hide. You will fight. You will die.

Eldritch is a first-person action game inspired by roguelikes, immersive sims, and H. P. Lovecraft.

and my favourite:

Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi

It is a misty evening in the year of our lord 1912. The Pattersons, a poor but proud aristocratic family of the British nobility, and some of their closest friends, arrive at the castle Malachi residence of a wealthy Romanian Count. It is only three days until the family's eldest daughter, Rebecca, is to be wed to the count's son, uniting the family with the rich heritage of the Malachi, hopefully restoring its glory.

The only person missing is you, the brother of the bride, who is on your way from Stockholm, where you have defended the Union Jack in the noble art of fencing in the Olympics. You are to arrive later during the evening.

Sir Patterson is disappointed when the Count himself doesn't greet the family at their arrival, but still he lets the servants show them all to their rooms, without complaining too loudly. It is not until later--when the doors are slammed shut and locked behind them, that he realizes his mistake that they have become prisoners and are at the Count's mercy...

• Highly intense, first-person shooter, survival horror
  • Enemies appearing shock style from everywhere
  • A massive gothic castle with hundreds of rooms awaits your arrival
  • The random architecture generator changes the layout of the castle and location of the characters every time you play
  • Non-linear style game play, where different parts of the castle can be explored in whatever order you want
  • Pick up and bring your foes down with classic vampire slayers like holy water, crucifixes, and wooden stakes or old-fashioned firearms like flintlock guns and muskets
  • Some vampires can only be slain with specific weapons, which challenges the player's weapon tactics
  • Spine-chilling scores and sound effects seamlessly orchestrated to keep you on the edge of your seat
  • Eerie 3D-graphics with real-time lighting, grainy screens, fog, and mist to give you that classic horror feel

Alkarl

Learned
Check out Ziggurat or Barony, probably the closest thing to what you're talking about that I can think of.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Warframe is online only, but you can play 99% of it single player, and it's got more content than you'll ever burn through that way.

buffalo bill

Arcane
I'm not seeing what makes that game a roguelike, other than procedural world generation—it's a real time, first-person action game without permadeath (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just going from wikipedia). Seems even more of a stretch to call it a roguelike—in any sense!—than the hoards of terrible roguelites out there.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm not seeing what makes that game a roguelike, other than procedural world generation

It also has an RPG-style character development and equipment system.

—it's a real time, first-person action game without permadeath (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just going from wikipedia). Seems even more of a stretch to call it a roguelike—in any sense!—than the hoards of terrible roguelites out there.

Well, that is a "What is an RPG?" type debate and that is not the point of this thread.

potatojohn

Arcane
Roguelikes are top down, tile-based, turn-based games, so "first person shooter roguelike" is impossible.

Morm

Novice
Yeah but "first person shooter with permadeath and procedural generation" is kinda long

buffalo bill

Arcane
Yeah but "first person shooter with permadeath and procedural generation" is kinda long
Pretty sure the game in the OP doesn't have permadeath. It's more like: first-person shooter, but with random maps.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Check out Everspace. Awesome roguelike and you can play it from first person view if you want. Also has awesome graphics. And controls like a FPS but with Z axis added.

grimace

Arcane
Ziggurat looks like Quake and Barony looks like Minecraft.

$3.74 on steam right now:
Ziggurat

Dungeon-Crawling First Person Shooting at its finest! Fast-paced combat! Dozens of perks, spells and enemies! Level ups! Random Dungeons! Traps! Badass bosses! Carrots!

or

Barony
$2.49
a 3D, first-person roguelike that brings back the cryptic and intricate designs of classic roguelikes such as Nethack and melds them with RPGs like Ultima Underworld, System Shock, and Daggerfall. Challenge is the calling card of this hard-boiled dungeon-crawler.

What
@Alkarl said

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Ziggurat looks like Quake and Barony looks like Minecraft.

$3.74 on steam right now:
Ziggurat

Dungeon-Crawling First Person Shooting at its finest! Fast-paced combat! Dozens of perks, spells and enemies! Level ups! Random Dungeons! Traps! Badass bosses! Carrots!

I have tried this game and unfortunately it is not like Hellgate. It is really an action game / shooter and..
A.) I don't like those games
B.) I suck at them

I thought RPG-style combat was implied by "roguelike", but I guess I should have been clearer there. I mean FPS usually implies action combat so.. kinda confusing.

I mean in this game your ability to win fights depends on your ability to quickly (and accurately) dodge and aim. In Hellgate (like in Skyrim, Morrowind etc.) your character's combat ability primarily depends on his stats and equipment. Ziggurat does not even have an inventory or character stats.

You only have mana pools and weapons you can pick up i.e. it's really an FPS game. Well, there are also "Perks" which are special bonuses you can pick up or select from a randomly chosen set but that is not remotely enough "RPG" for me. There is no real "character development" here.

I mean it looks like a nice game, if you are into that kind of thing, but it's really not for me. The whole RPG-style character development aspect you have in Hellgate is very important for me. And again I suck at action games and don't like them.

One should not confuse real-time with action. E.g. I died on level 1 in Ziggurat while I am pretty much unstoppable in Hellgate, because fast aiming / dodging is really not required there, it's not a real action game (games which primarily challenge the player's hand/eye coordination and quickness).

RuySan

Augur
Ziggurat is pretty good. It recalls the aesthetics of Heretic, which is something that there isn't enough.

Tower of guns is OK, but not as good. Enemies are bullet sponges and everything feels kinda floaty.

There's also Strafe and Immortal Redneck, but i played neither

ColCol

Arcane
Dead Island

Borderlands

War Frame

The Division

The "best" you're going to get.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
can a rogue-like even be in first-person!?????

i don't understand post because it talks about popamole action games but calls them rogue-like ??????????????????

hackncrazy

Savant
You guys should know the difference between roguelikes and roguelites.

Having randomized dungeons and permadeath is not enough to make a roguelike. Turn-based combat is a must for a game to be classified in this genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom