Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game introduced you to the genre?

Cosmic Bane

Educated
I played the boxed D&D set but I take this question to mean what computer role playing game. Bard's tale II. Apple II GS forever. Those blinking dragons and hifi tunes had me hooked in a heartbeat, tooling through mazes in the dark you had to map yourself. I was in heaven.

From there I soon went on to play Wiz IV and then the early ultimas.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Shareware version of Realmz on my old man's PowerPC

_resize.php

My own story precisely.

vazha

Arcane
First game I played that had some barebones rpg elements was the first Medieval: Total War. My, what a game, still play it from time to time. Atmospheric and tactical-wise miles ahead of later TW series, including the RTW that everyone still raves about.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
While my favorite games are Ufo: Enemy Unknown (the original from 1994, not the recent one) and X-Com Terror from the Deep, which may be considered strategic - tactical games with some RPG elements, propably the first real RPG I played was Eye of the Beholder. Did not fall in love with it.

Then around 1997 I got my first PC. In the next years I played Baldur's Gate (liked it but was not mindblown) and the second Fallout. And with this title my love for the genre started, although it bloomed for many years.

Now I mostly play RPGs, both old and new.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Probably 'Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva,' think that's the first RPG game I ever played. Ultima 7 was probably the first RPG I ever saw, at a friend's house.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Same here, on 5.25", unforgettable.

I had the C64 version, which came out in the UK a couple of years after it was released in American, and in a pretty poor plastic box. But it still had the cloth map and wonderful booklets, although maybe not as expensively printed as the US version. I still think the C64 version is best because of the music. The disk swapping was a bit of a pain, but the sluggishness as the 6510 processor reached meltdown temperatures made me feel as though my party was really working hard to cross hills and forests. The PC and Amiga versions never had the same sense of struggle. The Amiga version was a frankly piss-poor port as well.

: oldfag:

Cael

Arcane
Ultima 4. I'd never heard of role playing games and had no idea what I was playing - I just knew that I liked it a lot and wanted more.

Same here, on 5.25", unforgettable.

Apple IIC. Green monochrome. 5.25" disks. Oh yeah. Those were the days...

Goddamned kids these days have no idea what it was like in those days: the constant switching out of disks, the DOS prompt commands, the dreaded BOOT DISK!

:D:D:D

ntonystinson

Scholar
Lord of the Rings: Third Age made me fall in love with the concept of having my Player Character skills as the deciding factor not my gaming skill. I looked for more games of the like and discovered RPGs. Special mention goes to a Pokémon game I saw on Gameboy Advance but till now still don't know the name. Made me fall in love with exploring without being railroaded into the main quest.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
HoMM3 that my dad owned.
Then my little brother broke the fucking disc because he got pissy that he couldn't play the game so I wasn't able to come back to it for about ten years when amazon existed and I could buy a new disc.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Eye of the Beholder 2

I still think it is probably the best possible game to introduce people to RPGs. It is simple yet has some depth at the same time. It is also easy to play in terms of controls. I love so much about it, the story, the dungeon layout and stuff. Love it. I will always remember it. My only complaint would be that it gets too hard near the end and I doubt it is even possible to win unless you go back and grind some respawned enemies. It isn't a problem if you know, but a newbie who doesn't know you can go way back and find respawned stuff from earlier and get levels from it, you will probably hit a brick wall of pwnage.

The sequel was worth playing as well. The first game maybe as well but that seemed to be a bit too maze-ish for my taste. I also played Ultima Underworld about the same time but it didn't hook me the same way. After playing these games though I started playing lots of RPGs, and probably played about 20 before the end of the 90s.

Count Grishnak

Literate
First game I played that had some barebones rpg elements was the first Medieval: Total War. My, what a game, still play it from time to time. Atmospheric and tactical-wise miles ahead of later TW series, including the RTW that everyone still raves about.
Used to stay up all night watching my dad play this and Shogun 1 as a kid. They did have wonderful atmosphere, wish they would bring the paper map look back to the series. The sound design was also great from what I remember.

Cael

Arcane
HoMM3 that my dad owned.
Then my little brother broke the fucking disc because he got pissy that he couldn't play the game so I wasn't able to come back to it for about ten years when amazon existed and I could buy a new disc.
Why is your brother still alive? :mob:

Taelyn

Literate
lol This is so embarrassing. My first western RPG was Skyrim. XD I know. I recently started playing other RPGs (like in the past year lol). I've really liked the Baldur's Gate series so far and Fallout 1. I still play Skyrim once in a while, I know it's not as good, but it's something I played a lot for years lol. Another game I really liked as a kid (lol like I'm not one XD) was Final Fantasy. I'd play that game all the time on my Gameboy Advance (the Dawn of Souls (?) remake).

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I had an Atari 130XE and my classmate in Brooklyn had an older brother that introduced us to two things: 1. The Red Box set of Dungeons and Dragons. 2. Burned 5.25" floppies of pirated Atari games. Most were crap, but the one that worked great and hooked me was Temple of Apshai.

iu

For those that don't mind the long story...

After that, I had my Dad buy the Bard's Tale for me, but my 9-year old self didn't have the patience to grind in that game and for blobbers. Still sort of don't.

iu

I also liked SSI's Wizard's Crown, more than Bard's Tale, but I hadn't become good enough with turn-based tactics yet to get far.

iu

Mail Order Monsters was very much an arcade, but it had some skill level and equipment improvements that made it quite fun.

iu

I really began to love the genre when I got into the Phantasie trilogy, however:

iu

Then I found Ultima 4 and I was hooked forever. For a long time I wore the ankh that came in the boxed set. I still have the original map.

iu

The Old Kiwi

Educated
Bard's Tale I was first; an SSI game was next, probably Wizard's Crown, but there was another pre-Goldbox SSI rpg also, that may have been spelled Phantasie, or something on that order.

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
Dragon Warrior on the NES. It was part of some promotional thingie Nintendo Power had, got a strategy guide with Katsuya Terada's artwork along with it too. Shame I don't have the original box anymore. Final Fantasy and, if you count it as an RPG, Faxanadu were also RPGs I adored. Don't remember what the first computer RPG was, but it was much later in life. Maybe it was Neverwinter Nights when I was in college?

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

it was not exactly an rpg or a computer game but after play that game i started to be interested on rpgs.

What game?

Hero quest.

pic1006545.jpg

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I had a Sinclair Spectrum and we didn't have many RPGs on such a weak hardware, I remember playing Lords of Midnight and Bloodwych. I played lots of PnP RPGs back then, but not so many cRPGs.

However the computer game that truly sucked me into the genre was Pool of Radiance. I played at a friend's house, because he had a x086. Several of us made one or two characters each and played the game together, often arguing about where to go next, who gets the +1 longsword, etc.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Super Mario RPG was the first RPG I played; although, I was super young then. The game that impacted me the most and defined my taste in RPGs was Fallout.

JasonNH

Augur
Does this count?

adventurescreengrab.jpg

After that, I can't remember exactly which one was first in the line of early RPGs, but Bard's Tale, Pool of Radiance, and Ultima 4 laid the foundation of my interest as a kid who had the AD&D books. Ultima V was the first game I bought with my own money after saving up from delivering newspapers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom