Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a nice crpg to play.

• Thread starter Mebrilia the Viera Queen
  • Start date

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Looking for a nice cRPG to play" - might as well look for the Holy Grail or the Mandylion while you are at it.
You might actually find those though.

Freddie

Savant
I didn't see Wasteland 2 mentioned yet. It has mature themes and can be challenging if you don't min max, I had lot of fun with it.

For the classics, I recommend SSI's Gold Box game Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. It's very interesting game in many levels and very different from other Gold Box titles, no magic or other tropes here. It also has a sequel, Matrix Cubed which appears to be quite combat heavy and I haven't finished it yet.

For non isometric stuff, I haven't seen Deus Ex mentioned. You may want to try it with GMDX, though I haven't tried it myself yet.

One more interesting game is Valkyrie Chronicles. There is a thread about it in jRGP forums. I really liked that game.

For games I haven't played perhaps Tyranny is the one that looks interesting.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

i have wasteland 2 already i liked it but on my opinion had flaws... the choices felt a bit constructed and forced if you know what i mean.

Freddie

Savant
i have wasteland 2 already i liked it but on my opinion had flaws... the choices felt a bit constructed and forced if you know what i mean.
I don't really remember. Whatever there was perhaps I forgive them all when the final mission there were certain consequence regarding certain choices. I'm going to replay it one of these days, then maybe then I can recall such situations.

Funny I never finished Wasteland, even though it felt it was sort of game where you can make progress pretty fast. Haven't tried reissued version yet.

deama

Prophet
I liked the first witcher game, that was neat.

There's also sacrifice, an RPG/RTS hybrid, it's pretty interesting if your into distant high fantasy.

Arx fatalis is pretty good, it doesn't have any "mature" writing, it has great atmosphere though.

Legacy of kain series has a pretty good story/narrative, though the gameplay department is lacking... I suppose you could watch the "movies" on youtube.

I guess there's always dark souls?

Overlord is a semi-RPG I would say, and the tone is... cartoony+serious if you're into that sort. The gameplay itself is minion control based, not too bad. The story won't inspire you or anything though.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Not fan of dark souls i like the gameplay but in the end what you do is just die and kill monster there is not even interactive dialogues is not the kind of rpg i am looking for... Heck despite the quality of the game i can't even classify it as an rpg... Is a fantastic dungeon crawler tough,

I own legacy of cain.. informing myself on the other titles.
I also have the witcher games

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If you don't mind older stuff, why don't you go for Dark Sun: Shattered Lands? It has reactivity in the very first screen, while fighting in the arena.

Cael

Arcane
They are a trilogy, so you might want to start with Blades of Destiny. However, the character creation in BoD can be... frustrating.

Oh, and expect to be trolled hard by the game. The guys at Sirtech are sadists.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
All 3 games are selfcontained so you can play them in any order. I'd start with Startrail as it is imo the best of the three.

You can import your party from BoD if you finished it first though.

Cael

Arcane
I grow tired by D&D btw and i am kind of bored about forgotten realms..
It's Greyhawk. I think.
As if the setting mattered. ToEE is the very essence of generic fantasy content.

Not to downplay how much fun the game is but... the setting?!
That is true of the whole of Greyhawk, unfortunately. With the proliferation of the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance, Greyhawk and Mystara sort of got dropped by the wayside.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I already have nwn2 and mask of the Betrayer i am curious about age of decadence tough also underrail sounds promising even if recently i am more in to dark fantasy.
You have to get Planescape Torment right now. I don't even like it, it isn't for me, but if you are into stories and lore and stuff, that is an essential play.

Personally my best RPG of all time is probably Betrayal At Krondor. Get that if you don't mind really old stuff. If you have a very high resolution screen, maybe just don't bother. But it is a great game.

I think Underrail is really bad, and there is a thread on codex that will explain most of the reasons why. Funny how so many people seem to like it now. I pity them greatly. Age of Dec I am undecided on. I got bored because it is like a pnp game which is all about choices and situations and stuff and I only really like RPGs for tactical magic combat, and AoD has none of that. So it depends what you like from RPGs.

Divine Divinity was a good suggestion. Not sure you will get much in the way of story and loregasm in that though, but it is a good clepto RPG with decent combat. Blackguards is basically a masterpiece imo. Also Drakensang was a good suggestion. Like a less dumb Dragon Age Origins. I completed the first game and got bored of the second game, yet the second one is probably better. I just lose motivation sometimes for questing and RPGs.

Maybe try Bastard Bonds if you want something a bit different and don't mind a simple indie game. The combat is super shit so again, I didn't play it for long. But the story seemed decent and usually I hate all stories. That reminds me, Witcher 3. Pretty crappy combat unless you can enjoy slashy slashy dudebro stuff, but the graphics are insane, it is like living inside an oil painting, and the characters and lore are good and it has some really good voice acting. Again, I play for combat and hate stories and dialogue so it wasn't a game for me, but I still really appreciated how well made it was.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

i have planescape torment and divine divinity as well i am writing down all the titles eventually i will play them all

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Underrail is the king of exploration and AoD is the best RPG since Arcanum.

If you're on the Codex and haven't played these games yet you should do it now or self-eject.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I have Arcanum i miss underrail tough something i i will fix soon

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I already own:
Baldur's gate all the saga,Icewind dale all the saga, Planescape Torment, Pillars of eternity,Avernum Series,Arcanum,Divinity original Sin one and two.

I am looking for a nice rpg with compelling lore and a nice story that is not afraid to dive even in mature themes. I am asking a suggestion guys since with all the flooding of rpgmaker anime style game on steam i am having an hard time to find something interesting.

Geneforge series by Spiderweb Software. If you like it, try the original Exile Trilogy from the same developer. You already tried the Avernum series, which I thought was inferior.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I am more for dark sun or planescape settings.

Try Torment II - it doesn't have much combat, but is the closest you can get to another Planescape Torment.

Lords of Xulima is excellent, though it's more like Might & Magic style-wise and not really dark.

Also, Pillars of Eternity gets much better with the White March expansion - even the base game is improved somewhat.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
They are a trilogy, so you might want to start with Blades of Destiny. However, the character creation in BoD can be... frustrating.

Oh, and expect to be trolled hard by the game. The guys at Sirtech are sadists.

It's a Guido Henkel trilogy, not Sir Tech's. They only published it in the US.

Star Trail is by far the best of the three and Blades of Destiny also didn't age as well as the other two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom