Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Thanks. I actually prefer TQ to GD
Why? The setting & environments? I do think TQ looks cooler and has a better sense of place - especially the Asia chapter - but gameplay-wise GD is so much better...

axx

Savant
Really enjoyed TQ, but relic hunting was a pain. Having to redo bosses over and over again... Afterwards my inventory was stuffed with lesser artifacts, a few greater ones and I don't think I ever got a single divine one. But overall a great time waster.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Played a bit more... impressions got worse. I dare say this expansion has more repeated monsters than the originals - every fucking place you go has reskinned Trolls, wolves and a bunch of humans. Bosses go down like flies and the game has absolutley no sense of pacing or wonder:

it throws you against Odin, Freya and Balder ALL AT ONCE in a small generic room and Odin went down before I could even understand what was happening.

Also, while the snow areas are cool, the original still has much better design. I mean, THIS is their Bifrost being overrun by giants on the eve of Ragnarok:

DPTGoLLXcAAFCZa.jpg:large

It looks like a cheap mod.

Dux

Arcane
Playing through the original with the Immortal Throne, I really don't understand how anyone could just continue on after that. It's a good game but it's kind of exhausting at the same time. I'm currently at Act 3 somewhere in China but I'm already worn down.

bataille

Arcane
This expansion's release reminded me of that old guy from the steam forums: in his 80s, played TQ for a thousand hours, battling off onsetting dementia. He died, presumably, soon after posting his review, and had a few hundreds of people wishing him a good afterlife in the comments.
Look in the steam reviews if you're curious; it was a strange thing to stumble upon.

Cael

Arcane
Playing through the original with the Immortal Throne, I really don't understand how anyone could just continue on after that. It's a good game but it's kind of exhausting at the same time. I'm currently at Act 3 somewhere in China but I'm already worn down.
You are going to LOVE Act 4, then. The mobs are on another level altogether. My Oracle (Storm + Necro) had an easier time in Nightmare Act 2 than Normal Act 4.

The best part, though, is Act 3. The China theme music is the best in the game, and the mobs finally became BS enough to be a challenge, but not even-trash-mobs-will-1-shot-kill-you psycho like in Act 4.

Elex

Arbiter
This expansion's release reminded me of that old guy from the steam forums: in his 80s, played TQ for a thousand hours, battling off onsetting dementia. He died, presumably, soon after posting his review, and had a few hundreds of people wishing him a good afterlife in the comments.
Look in the steam reviews if you're curious; it was a strange thing to stumble upon.
so he was lucky to die before this expansion?

Dux

Arcane
You are going to LOVE Act 4, then. The mobs are on another level altogether. My Oracle (Storm + Necro) had an easier time in Nightmare Act 2 than Normal Act 4.

The best part, though, is Act 3. The China theme music is the best in the game, and the mobs finally became BS enough to be a challenge, but not even-trash-mobs-will-1-shot-kill-you psycho like in Act 4.

I've played through it all once before so I know what's coming. I'm trying to do a no-death playthough as well, so I have to be careful. I didn't get destroyed by that stunlock snowman with the meteors, at least, so that's something.

Cael

Arcane

I've played through it all once before so I know what's coming. I'm trying to do a no-death playthough as well, so I have to be careful. I didn't get destroyed by that stunlock snowman with the meteors, at least, so that's something.
The one on the ledge who is the boss of the area and your quest target? If I recall correctly, there is a trick to the guy. You need to hang back and wait for the blinking circle and then rush him. The meteor will miss and you get free shots in. Something like that. It's been a long time since I played TQ.

Sentinel

Arcane
Thanks. I actually prefer TQ to GD
Why? The setting & environments? I do think TQ looks cooler and has a better sense of place - especially the Asia chapter - but gameplay-wise GD is so much better...
I really, really, really hate GD's cluttered art and extremely bright spell fx. Especially this last one. The spells in TQ all looked pretty simple, but I don't know what the fuck happened in GD where every ability is a massive blob of overbloomed lighting ray and you just can't tell what the fuck is happening. I don't think anything is wrong with it gameplay-wise, but I just can't deal with the art style. I wish they'd port the GD QoL changes into TQ, but at the end of the day that doesn't really stop me from enjoying TQ more. Hell, I still boot up Diablo 2 on a yearly basis.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe : is this expression, for the most part, true ? : Grim Dawn > Path of Exile > Titan Quest
I'd say yes. Grim Dawn is really good at gameplay, but it sucks where Titan Quest excels: the setting & art. GD is kinda ugly and has very boring enemies & areas. :/

Path of Exile is a "love it or hate it" affair.. the campaign is nothing special, what makes or breaks the game is how you feel about its unique skill system. I like the concept of a classless system, but I think it's too bloated... too many dull choices between stuff that really matters, making some level ups feel useless.

So far our adventures have been split into a few different areas of NO PROGRESS:

A)
"Holy shit guys, I've got the best idea, I'll re-roll to play as X + Y for the massive Z" "In that case I'll go other X + other Y to support that build!" theorycrafting
B) At some point in the running trough of Act 1, any reference to yellow items and shops have de-evolved into references about piss, elderly people, and referencing cities to bathrooms. Most references relating to how much yellow piss everything is dropping and how we can't let a single yellow be not be sold or used.
This also produced the issue of confusion when someone actually has to go take a piss.
C) Arguments about who gets to pick up which shitty equipment
D) Some really unusual bugs and desyncs that we've never encountered before

And trough all of this, every single moment has been a bliss, which makes me realize the following conclusion:
Titan Quest is by definition one of those games that is the closest you can get to a party game in hacky-slashy-stabby-RPG genre of games, similar to Smash Bros or any tabletop game that isn't D&D (and also sometimes is D&D) where you're having fun and at the same time wanting to smash your bro at every minute into the game.
And the worst part is that it's incredibly difficult to explain this sort of feeling because screaming "UHH I GET TO HIT THIGNS WITH MY FRIENDS" just falls on the "everything is fun with friends" pile, but the amount of joy and hilarity you can get simply from a small change such as enemies showing what they're wearing and most of the times carrying can spark such fun moments when everyone attempts to dogpile the Collossi Titan wielding a Glowing Sword of Gibsmedat, just to find out that he shits out a box AoE of slowing blizzard and hits harder than a moving truck, getting everyone to quickly make up an emergency plan on the go in fears of having to waltz 60 miles across a desert filled with nothing but dead mobs and shite loot alongside with an XP loss.

Masteries helping other masteries with debuffs, buffs, status effects, damage boosts, displacements, enemy resistance shredding, healing or just outright blasting everything to kingdom come and watching ragdolls fly across hills combined with the madness of 6 player co-op and a complete clusterfuck environment filled with loot, mobs and dungeons to explore stretched across 6 eons of content?

10 / 10 game, won't reach the new expansion before dying of old age.

Cael

Arcane
Lol! Yes. Titan Quest is actually far better than Diablo in terms of MP simply because of the synergies that you can get between different masteries.

While a Fire + Warfare combo is good, it is even better when you have a Fire Mage + a Conqueror.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

the masteries in TQ are much better than the spergfests in grim dawn. The items too (although i haven't played GD enough to get to the really good stuff, maybe it evens out in the end game). The gameplay is otherwise pretty similar. the only thing GD has over TQ that I like are the constellations.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I found itemization in Titan Quest VERY lacking...

There are some cool sets and unique items, but you won't find anything interesting during your first playthrough. And even when you get those, they're pretty tame next to Diablo II.

bataille

Arcane
Astral Rag I tried googling it, but only this comes up.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/475150/discussions/0/133256240741173620/

It seems that with the anniversary edition's release the old titan quest page got deleted with all its content. The oldest review now is from 2016 while the old man posted his in 2014.
Welp, wish him a happy eternity in Lethe, I guess.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198142929427/recommended/4540/

Dang, his account seems to be active. Probably a digital ghost, hehe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom