Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

mastroego

Arcane
Problem is, I like them balanced, I fear it'd feel wrong with AoW3 from what I hear.
About Endless Legends, I don't like its fantasy style honestly - I also bought Endless Space back then and I regretted it...

sser

Arcane
Developer
Problem is, I like them balanced, I fear it'd feel wrong with AoW3 from what I hear.
About Endless Legends, I don't like its fantasy style honestly - I also bought Endless Space back then and I regretted it...

Maybe Eador then (the 2D one, I haven't tried the 3D). Outside of that it gets kinda slim or not especially 'comprehensive.' I did find the Warlock game fun, but only in the 'build a superhero' type of manner.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Trying again since I mis-posted this

What about Age of Wonders + DLCs at 20€?
I wasn't going to buy a game of this genre this time, but I hear good things about it. I also hear AoW has always been very weak on the strategic layer (which sucks), while its excels on the tactical one.
Codex consensus?

If you like turn-based fantasy combat, AoW3 is pretty much the prime meat of the genre right now. If you prefer the strategy side of things, like managing an empire and what not, go with Endless Legends.
Last played it when it came out, but I remember AOW1 having really nice/magical atmosphere (ost + sound effects + drawings/art style). The newer ones maybe less so (esp. the third).
So if that matters, then I'd go with the first.

Also don't really see the series as strong in terms of its tactical layer... But that goes for any 4x-ish game I can think of.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Also don't really see the series as strong in terms of its tactical layer...
Dude, wat.
Mechanics-wise maybe relative to other such games, but not so much in relation to some of the great tactical games with similarly small-ish tactical battles.
Attack effects and animations were also meh in 1 and 2, don't really remember how the third looked in that regard... Probably no better. Made the fights less satisfying than they could have been.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, if you want to compare them to sth like JA then maybe. However when it comes to strategy games with tactical combat the tactical layer is definitely up there with the best. And it is pretty awesome in 3, if only they avoided the decline of decreasing unit stacks to 6.

Latelistener

Arcane
I thought I could ship at least 700 units to stay in business
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Con...ip_at_least_700_units_to_stay_in_business.php

7Y9c.jpg

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane

There are a few interesting ideas in the comments for him...
you maybe made the mistake of not understanding that "pile 'em high" means making tons of games before you actually make a living out of it.
there are a lot of these stories where people make a derivitive game, release it, get no sales, and then say that indie game development is not feasible and is foolhardy.
emigrate and go to places where programmers earn more
there is a beautiful colourful gif of some tentacle-monster-lady. It's bright and pulsating and attractive. Compare it to your video, which is dark, looks muddy, a bit boring to be brunt.
NEWdaeria-gif-2.png
"It's a coffee break game that you can finish in two hours."
Steam also has a 2hr refund window.
But this is my favourite part of his blog post...
I'm scared I won't be able to have anything left to eat.
Now I'm thinking of selling my TV, PS4 and PSVR and a few older laptops I have.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I evetually gave in and bought Dishonored 2 Deluxe Bundle,Pathfinder Adventures Obsidian Edition,Vanquish and Evil Within Bundle

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steamworld Dig is 80% off. decent (but short, i finished it in 5 hours and there isn't much replay value) metroidvania. the sequel is good (and much longer) too.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have not planned on buying anything, since I am in the phase of enjoying the shit I've bought over last 5+ years, but in the end (is it truly the end...?) I got the collector's edition of this:

Supposedly, it has good fairy tale fantasy-style soundtrack, so even if the game is shit, I should get my money's worth...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This one is nice time waster, swear it was once sold at like 90% discount.

PlasticWateryCuckoo-max-1mb.gif

I played this back in 2008. To say I got addicted to this is an understatement.

There was an expansion released which was X-Box exclusive, but someone managed to reverse-engineer that for the PC via fanpatch. It works but it's crude.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom